Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Mordu » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:53 am

Pete Podoski wrote:Apparently, the complaint came from a fellow who said, "Uhhh, ummm, you have to pull these uhh, umm, articles, umm, because ahh, umm, diversity is uhh our, uhh, strength."

CBC allegedly pulls fact-based firearms article for being too “pro-gun”

Ali Taghva January 28, 2019


According to Tracey Wilson, a staff member of the Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights (CCFR), the CBC removed a four-part written series from the Radio Canada International website, for being too “pro-gun”.


The now halted series aimed to challenge many of the unsubstantiated claims recently made by the federal government as well as anti-gun lobbyists across the nation.

For example, in the first part which can still be accessed through an archiving site, the content takes on illegal firearms purchases, the origin of illegal guns, as well as the practice of straw purchases, while the second part discusses assault weapons. The third and fourth part was never released.

In an interview with The Post Millennial, Tracey stated that she believed this was removed due to a complaint which found the content to be “too pro-gun.”

She found that quite perplexing given the nature of the article itself, which aimed to point out the illogical claims made by individuals who do not adequately understand firearms.

When the very things you are discussing are technical and factual in nature and not emotion based ideological arguments, there is no “other side”. Facts are facts so it is impossible to show two sides when there is only truth.

Tracey Wilson


Even more pressing, with the Canadian election rapidly approaching, you would assume removing any and all unsubstantiated claims on guns would be important to the public broadcaster.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/cbc-p ... oo-pro-gun


Verified account @Smellali
Replying to @TWilsonOttawa @RCInet

http://twitter.com/Smellali/status/1089979987753545732

We assessed both articles as incomplete. We plan to produce a long format on this important debate. The different points of view will be expressed and the facts verified. Citizens will then be able to form their own opinion.
Mordu
Board Meister
 
Posts: 519
Likes: 84 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Pete Podoski » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:02 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Pete -perhaps you could elucidate your point more clearly. It certainly appears that you were taking a swipe at the diversity that is at the heart of Canadian values.

It also appears that you were taking an NRAesque swipe at the CBC editorial board, and forgetting that gun ownership in Canada is not a right, it is a privilege. The CBC has no obligation to accept NRAesque propaganda as content, nor are folks obliged to switch from Fox "News" to CBC.


Why would C.B.C. run two episodes then abruptly reverse course, and try to scrub any sign of these episodes from the internet?

And why would that coincide with Chief Blair's bullcrap-filled tour of Canada, on the same subject?

Quit pulling your "N.R.A." card out of your *bleep* in an attempt to deflect, and address the issue at hand here, which is clearly political interference in the public broadcaster.

C.B.C. pulled the series because it refuted much of what Blair was trying to peddle to the public. Nothing more, nothing less.

Explain why you don't care that the government is censoring shows on the C.B.C. that don't nicely fit the government's narrative.
#LetHerSpeak

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Pete Podoski
Board Meister
 
Posts: 618
Likes: 1448 posts
Liked in: 1440 posts
Joined: Jul 16th, 2018, 9:13 am

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Mordu » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Please excuse me for interjecting again.

But people may want to read the two articles that were 'pulled', by Soleiman Mellali, Chief Editor, Radio-Canada.

I think he may have a point with the reason he gave, and then he did go on to make a promise . . ..

Mordu wrote:Verified account @Smellali
Replying to @TWilsonOttawa @RCInet

http://twitter.com/Smellali/status/1089979987753545732

We assessed both articles as incomplete. We plan to produce a long format on this important debate. The different points of view will be expressed and the facts verified. Citizens will then be able to form their own opinion.


“The Gun debate in Canada: Where lies truth? Part-1”

http://web.archive.org/web/201812051351 ... th-part-1/

“The gun debate in Canada: Part 2 – ‘Assault weapons’”

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =1&vwsrc=0


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The above links come from the article that Pete Podoski posted here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79420&start=255#p2445384 .

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/cbc-p ... o-pro-gun/
Mordu
Board Meister
 
Posts: 519
Likes: 84 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 30th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Pete Podoski wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:Pete -perhaps you could elucidate your point more clearly. It certainly appears that you were taking a swipe at the diversity that is at the heart of Canadian values.

It also appears that you were taking an NRAesque swipe at the CBC editorial board, and forgetting that gun ownership in Canada is not a right, it is a privilege. The CBC has no obligation to accept NRAesque propaganda as content, nor are folks obliged to switch from Fox "News" to CBC.


Why would C.B.C. run two episodes then abruptly reverse course, and try to scrub any sign of these episodes from the internet?

And why would that coincide with Chief Blair's bullcrap-filled tour of Canada, on the same subject?

Quit pulling your "N.R.A." card out of your *bleep* in an attempt to deflect, and address the issue at hand here, which is clearly political interference in the public broadcaster.

C.B.C. pulled the series because it refuted much of what Blair was trying to peddle to the public. Nothing more, nothing less.

Explain why you don't care that the government is censoring shows on the C.B.C. that don't nicely fit the government's narrative.


Nonsense. The government is not censoring programs on the CBC. This is just far right whining and conspiracy theory. Power and Politics often criticizes the government.

The gun manufacturer's lobby (NRA) and far right gun owners always whine when their propaganda does not get out when and where they want it. You can watch it any time on the Rebel or Fox "News".

This is all about far right gun owners who want to own assault weapons and handguns. Tough luck. It ain't about them, it is about public safety. Gun ownership is a privilege in Canada, not a right.

And yup, I understand firearms. Been a gun owner for 50 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Notice that Australia, which banned ALL semi automatic guns in the 1990s, has a gun death rate that is half of Canada's, and 1/12 of the excited states of 'merica.

Too bad. They got pulled because of factual inaccuracy.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 9658
Likes: 2668 posts
Liked in: 10432 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 30th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Pete Podoski wrote:[

Why would C.B.C. run two episodes then abruptly reverse course, and try to scrub any sign of these episodes from the internet?

And why would that coincide with Chief Blair's bullcrap-filled tour of Canada, on the same subject?

Quit pulling your "N.R.A." card out of your *bleep* in an attempt to deflect, and address the issue at hand here, which is clearly political interference in the public broadcaster.

C.B.C. pulled the series because it refuted much of what Blair was trying to peddle to the public. Nothing more, nothing less.

Explain why you don't care that the government is censoring shows on the C.B.C. that don't nicely fit the government's narrative.


The LIEberal peanut-chuckers here have nothing to say because once again JT has been caught red-handed. I thought it was just Harper who controlled the media? What a joke the Liberals are.
Justin Trudeau is a peanut-chucking snollygoster snowflake. But he has nice dimples. Remember, the hypocrisy of the Left knows no bounds.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 31467
Likes: 14658 posts
Liked in: 20287 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Mordu » Jan 31st, 2019, 6:28 am

I don't know if Soleiman Mellali, Chief Editor, Radio-Canada is a Liberal or not, (he took the job in 2012), but this is what he had to say about his plan for the articles.


*removed*

Unless he was joking, I think he gave people a chance to challenge his word if he doesn't stick to his plan.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2019, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post duplications of threads and/or posts..
Mordu
Board Meister
 
Posts: 519
Likes: 84 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Mordu » Jan 31st, 2019, 8:18 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2019, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Mordu
Board Meister
 
Posts: 519
Likes: 84 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Mordu » Feb 1st, 2019, 10:48 am

As I posted previously:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p2445914

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p2445993

I think it's pretty clear why the CBC (Radio Canada International) shelved the two articles and the series for now.

Verified account @Smellali
Replying to @TWilsonOttawa @RCInet

http://twitter.com/Smellali/status/1089979987753545732

We assessed both articles as incomplete. We plan to produce a long format on this important debate. The different points of view will be expressed and the facts verified. Citizens will then be able to form their own opinion.
Mordu
Board Meister
 
Posts: 519
Likes: 84 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Glacier » Feb 9th, 2019, 4:08 pm

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

Mordu likes this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28988
Likes: 4200 posts
Liked in: 11468 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Freedom of opinion under threat in Canada

Postby Mordu » Feb 10th, 2019, 9:08 am

Thanks Glacier, I learned something, but . . ..

Oh *bleep*!

When someone says something that you don’t like:

Step one: Victimise yourself

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p2449105

Step two: Vilify them. Reinforce your victimhood while you progressively vilify them as you open-mindedly share one side of the story.

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p2449881

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p2449536

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p2449746

Step three: Crucify them.

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p2449926


I’m soowee Cactusflower.

But I’m not sure which one of us should get the T-shirt.
Mordu
Board Meister
 
Posts: 519
Likes: 84 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Previous

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], ogopogo69 and 0 guests