Trudeau vs Scheer

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Trudeau vs Scheer

Post by the truth »

George Orwell 1984 wrote:Last night when interviewed on the plane he stated there had been ONE other incident of blackface in his past . Today yet another revelation of a third incident . How many more times is he going to lie and how many more incidents are the Canadian citizens going to see. This story is now worldwide and an embarrassment for all Canadians.

and people still support this g oof :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
George Orwell 1984 wrote:Last night when interviewed on the plane he stated there had been ONE other incident of blackface in his past . Today yet another revelation of a third incident . How many more times is he going to lie and how many more incidents are the Canadian citizens going to see. This story is now worldwide and an embarrassment for all Canadians.

According to whom?
I listened and did not hear him say that.
Also Scheer appeared to be misquoting him as well.
Could you quote the lie, what he actually said?

He was specifically asked if there were other incidents and he replied there was one where he sang day o ( Harry Belafonte)
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Who really remembers all the rather indiscreet things they did from 20 years ago?

Doubtful this will evolve into a ballot box issue in October....
Chill
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Not everyone had cameras easily available back then. Even then, when the photos came back two weeks later, most of it was crapola anyways.

I think a lot of people are lucky that what they did back then did not make it into social media.

I wonder what Scheer did 20 years ago.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^ Scheer 20 years ago:

Scheer ran as a school trustee for the Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board in the 2000 Ottawa municipal elections,[24] but lost to incumbent Kathy Ablett.[25]

After meeting his future wife Jill Ryan at university, Scheer moved to her hometown of Regina, Saskatchewan, and finished his BA at the University of Regina. In Regina, Scheer worked as an insurance broker, a waiter, and in the constituency office of Canadian Alliance MP Larry Spencer.[26][15]

He's been on the Government payroll since.
Chill
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Trudeau and the Liberals are the ones who first decided to use past indiscretions to try to discredit their opponents in this campaign. So they shouldn’t be surprised that similar standards are now being applied to them too.

The fact is that we have all done things in the past that we’re not proud of, and hope never come to light. And it’s also true that societal values change over time, and things that were once not considered shocking, are extremely shocking today. BUT as Trudeau never took either of those facts into account when judging other people, he shouldn’t be surprised that he is now being judged by his own very high standards.

It was the Trudeau Liberals themselves who set the bar so high there was no room for any acknowledgement that things we may have said or done previously, are not necessarily an indication who we are today. Opinions and behaviours frequently evolve over time as a consequence of our life experiences, resulting in a totally different world view than that which we may have once held.

Maybe this incident will teach Trudeau and his supporters a valuable lesson about the dangers of not allowing people the opportunity to move on in life, without being constantly held to account for past behaviours that do not necessarily reflect who they are today. And we will now start to see a campaign based on the candidates current values and beliefs. A campaign that truly IS intent on looking forward, rather than backward. A map for Canada’s future, rather than a constant rehashing of things that happened in the past. Because, while it’s important to learn and grow from past experiences, it’s equally important to acknowledge the changes those experiences have wrought, and move on into what is hopefully a better future.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I was disappointed in Andrew Scheer with his usual nasty garbage response to the blackface photos. Scheer had the opportunity to show that he can be a bigger person, but Scheer stayed in the gutter where he has always been. So silly to see Scheer, who won't even try by marching in a Pride parade, votes against a motion condemning Islamophobia, constantly casts aspersions on immigrants and plays footsy with the right (including having Rebel cofounder Hamish Marshall as his right hand man) being so smarmy. Scheer had the chance to show he has more to offer than smarmy smear, and he failed to do so.

In context it is important to realize that Canada is evolving. It really wasn't until about 2010 that most Canadians realized how hurtful blackface was when felt by some others. Yup, we were ignorant and insensitive. But it was not out of a conscious desire to put others down.

If someone was able to troll back in my personal history, they, maybe, not sure, find pictures of me performing in a high school operetta wearing dark make up with painted red stripes and feathers. I know it happened. Would I do it today - absolutely not. Today I know that it actually hurts other to do that kind of thing, but I was not conscious of that hurt at the time.

Even more recently, my initial reaction to the renaming of Siwash Rock was to wonder what that was all about. It was only then that I learned that Siwash was term viewed as hurtful by many people.

These kinds of things are cultural, and at the same time evolving. There are many terms and symbols from my younger days that were in common use, but I have abandoned them as I learned that they were offensive to others.

Especially for white males, and I am a fat old one, we have had to evolve - a lot. I am grateful when others point out that this symbol or that word carries hurt for others, because I have no intention of hurting others. My attitudes toward women, toward the LGBTQ community, toward native cultures, Chinese people and so on have all matured over time, and become much more accepting.

Can't say even today that I might not unintentionally fluff up, but I try, I try to be a better person. Even regarding women and feminism, it would disingenuous of me to say that understand all - and that is just because I am a male.

So Justin Trudeau, coming from a privileged white background exhibited some of the same ignorance as I have. I sense though that like me, he is trying hard to get over that. Times change and I believe Justin Trudeau has tried to change with them, but like me he is not perfect, but keeps trying.

The history of blackface is informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface - according to that article it was still considered comedic in Canada in the early 2000s.

I am glad we have moved past that.

To get some perspective, I reached out to south Asian acquaintance, and his response was that he and his wife laughed it off. He felt that Scheer was using it to provide a smokescreen to cover his own known anti-immigrant stances and problems toward indigenous peoples and others. He also felt that it was not coincidental that this nearly 20 year old indiscretion was dragged up during the election. It has been around and out there for a long time, and he casts a jaundiced eye on the timing and motives of those who dug this up. He still supports the Liberal party.

Honestly, how many people of any appreciable age are there out there that have not done something, said something, that we now consider off limits?

Justin is a little younger than me, but I was raised with grandparents who came straight of British Colonialism (via Singapore). Did I pick up some stuff that was hurtful to others from them - you bet, but it has hopefully been discarded (I mean to be so).

So lets move on to the real issues. The issues that going forward matter to Canadians going forward together.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

FAKE AND MISLEADING NEWS by the Trudeau Liberals.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

hobbyguy wrote:I was disappointed in Andrew Scheer with his usual nasty garbage response to the blackface photos. Scheer had the opportunity to show that he can be a bigger person, but Scheer stayed in the gutter where he has always been. So silly to see Scheer, who won't even try by marching in a Pride parade, votes against a motion condemning Islamophobia, constantly casts aspersions on immigrants and plays footsy with the right (including having Rebel cofounder Hamish Marshall as his right hand man) being so smarmy. Scheer had the chance to show he has more to offer than smarmy smear, and he failed to do so....

SNIP

You know, I'm not thrilled with Scheer's response to this. Yes, he could have handled it better.

I'm also not surprised by what you've posted here. This is gutter stuff, too, pure and simple. It's ridiculous for anyone to point fingers at Scheer for not virtue signalling while Trudeau, the virtue-signalling man you continue to champion, is getting the stuffing knocked out of him specifically for being so utterly puffed up with virtue signalling he can't bear to face his own humanity.

Trudeau can't live up to the standards he holds others to, and that's why he is in the mess he's in. There is no humility in Trudeau. There's no integrity. Only empty rhetoric, lies and deceit.

You want us to think about smarmy? Trudeau fully admits why he chose not to disclose these blasts from is past to the Liberal party's selection committee: because he was just so embarrassed about them. Instead of growing a pair, being honest, and working with the party to figure out how they'd deal with the inevitable, he chose to hide the truth from them. Did he honestly think everyone would like him so much, everyone would just keep quiet while he pretended he had always been more enlightened than most?

Trudeau's own poor judgement and selfish self-interest gets him into trouble and he tries to weasel his way out, hurting others in the process.

That's not aspersions. He provided proof.

You complain of Scheer casting aspersions and yet here you are, casting aspersions about Scheer. Why not at least attempt to hold Trudeau to even half the standard you're holding Scheer to in this post? The bitterness you hold for the Conservatives is palpable, but surely it's not completely blinding.

Yes, Scheer could have handled this better. My goodness, are you really going to pretend the Scheer's biggest and most serious wrongdoing over the past few months have been more serious and worse than what the ethics commissioner revealed about Trudeau, and what Trudeau continues to reveal about his willingness to deceive Canadians and his own party just to keep the truth hidden from view?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

George Orwell 1984 wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:quote="George Orwell 1984"Last night when interviewed on the plane he stated there had been ONE other incident of blackface in his past . Today yet another revelation of a third incident . How many more times is he going to lie and how many more incidents are the Canadian citizens going to see. This story is now worldwide and an embarrassment for all Canadians./quote

According to whom?
I listened and did not hear him say that.
Also Scheer appeared to be misquoting him as well.
Could you quote the lie, what he actually said?

He was specifically asked if there were other incidents and he replied there was one where he sang day o ( Harry Belafonte)

Like I said, a quote, because I listened carefully and that's not what he said.
People are hearing Scheer's soundbite and presuming that's what Trudeau said too.
He was mistaken, or lying.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

flamingfingers wrote:Gosh!! The backlash here is really going to cramp the style for anyone contemplating a masquerade party for Hallowe'en, eh?

Got to make sure to ban all cameras at any party you want to host - or attend!!!!

Forget hosting that Hawaiian themed party, Octoberfest celebration, what about that fun East india celebration, and I think Pirates have been discriminated against for far too long.
All those hollywood movies where white guys or gals played mexicans, or some other ethnicity, will have to be banned.
Those actors will never be able to run for any political office. Peter O'toole was a bad person for playing Lawrence of arabia.
I find it hard to believe Scheer never once dressed up as some verboten character. (can I say that?, not offense to the Germans intended, I apologize in advance.)
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Silverstarqueen wrote: People are hearing Scheer's soundbite and presuming that's what Trudeau said too.

The great Con disinformation campaign continues. Sadly, Scheer seems to want to get right in there and participate. People's perception of Scheer as preferred PM was climbing, but if people start to see that he is no different than Trudeau when it comes to the lying department … well, that just might start to level the playing field again when it comes to preferred PM.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Like I said, a quote, because I listened carefully and that's not what he said.
People are hearing Scheer's soundbite and presuming that's what Trudeau said too.

Trudeau avoided telling the full truth. Just as he has many times when asked a direct question.

Just as he did by refusing to waive cabinet confidentiality so the ethics commissioner could get to the full truth.

Just as he did by withholding this from the Liberal party while he was first being vetted as a candidate.

Trudeau is dishonest and deceitful.

Trudeau sets ridiculously high standards and pretends he has always been more enlightened than Scheer because that's what his brand requires, when in fact he is simply promoting an image of himself as more ethical, more moral.

Trudeau has shown his own morals and integrity are sorely lacking.

Time for a change.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: Trudeau avoided telling the full truth. Just as he has many times when asked a direct question.

Trudeau avoided telling the full truth. Time for a change. What are our choices?
The Cons are deliberately spreading disinformation. Is this the change we want?
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

flamingfingers wrote:He's been on the Government payroll since.

Pot, meet kettle (with full sensitivity to the current headlines).
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind

Return to “Canada”