Re: People's Party of Canada

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
tykrz

Post by tykrz »

Pete Podoski wrote:Max wants more money for Quebec.

Is anyone actually shocked?

https://www.facebook.com/scheer2019/vid ... 35905/?t=0

And for his own wallet lets not forget!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

tykrz wrote:
Pete Podoski wrote:Max wants more money for Quebec.

Is anyone actually shocked?

https://www.facebook.com/scheer2019/vid ... 35905/?t=0

And for his own wallet lets not forget!

Source, please. A link to back up your statement.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Hey, this is the internet. You can say anything that you want. It doesn't have to be true. Just let your racist outrage flow. We have freedom of speech in this country. I saw a clown in a yellow vest on the weekend in Calgary with a sign that claimed that Justin Trudeau was really the son of Fidel Castro. Because Justin's mom visited Cuba. He was waving the sign at passing traffic, ranting, spittle flying from his mouth, and his blood pressure threatening to burst something. And he has a vote.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Mad Max did it! He has candidates set to run in all 338 ridings.

Take a few minutes to listen to the most sensible and attuned federal politician we have had in years.

Go, Mad Max 2019

https://globalnews.ca/news/4791741/maxi ... y-ridings/
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Gotta like Max. I might not agree with all his positions, but he will at least give people a firm option, not Scheer's pliable jellyfish no commitment to anything.

Max is bang on with this:

"Bernier has accused the Tories of abandoning conservatives, adding the party has “nothing of substance” to offer Canadians seeking a political alternative."
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I think he will make favorable impressions on the electorate. He is down to earth, comes across as sincere and honest. No weaseling and waffling, no uhms, no aws., he answers the questions put to him like a grown up.

My distrust of eastern politicians surprisingly unaroused by this gent.

Mad Max 2019 !!

Unknown
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Maxime Bernier and his new Canadian Order

MONTREAL - When Maxime Bernier, leader of the nascent People's Party of Canada, recently appeared on a Quebec TV news panel, the pundits laughed at his suggestion that Ottawa could force an oil pipeline through the province.

The host barely contained a smirk as he accused Bernier of wanting to shove a pipeline "down the throats" of Quebecers. "At the end of the day," Bernier replied, "the federal government has the right to approve a project or not."

No other leader — federal or provincial — with ambitions in Quebec would dare say something like that in public, but for Bernier the comments perfectly captured his big gamble. He is betting there are enough alienated voters in his home province and across the country fed up with status-quo politicians.

More …

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/ ... &ocid=iehp

I would hope there are enough alienated voters across the country who are finally fed up with status-quo politicians. If we really want real change then we have to vote for it, and not just elect some other manchild or other status quo politician only interested in engaging in and perpetuating the completely non-productive partisan conflict. There are some ideas that many would find pretty drastic, but Bernier does offer real change and an alternative to this back and forth partisan rhetoric, and a real alternative to having dimples become PM or even leader of the opposition. Go Bernier!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I don’t agree with Bernier’s positions, but I like the idea of there being more than one Conservative party. This gives the CPC an opportunity to define who they really are other than just being Anti-Trudeau. Because now they need to distinguish themselves from Bernier as well. This will help alleviate some of the partisanship we’ve seen as Canada continually emulated a mostly 2 party system as the US has.

Unfortunately though, without electoral reform, or proper Proportional Representation, this will likely harm conservatives as their vote will now be split, rather than providing them the opportunity to vote Bernier first, and Scheer second or vice versa. Many may now vote against their preferred candidate to vote “strategically”.

Perhaps if the Conservative party had seen this split coming, they would have been less opposed to electoral reform, and all Canadian parties could have worked together to craft a system that would work for everyone.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I think all of us here in the Canada thread read the fine document that was posted in Big Government Lies posted by 99%.

It is possible and more than likely that Mad Max is aware and cognizant of this paragraph that I copied from Big Gov't Lies:

"Our government is lying when it contends that it has to await the outcome of law suits to restart the Trans Mountain project. The federal government has exclusive jurisdiction over environmental matters, and over interprovincial works that benefit one or more provinces and for provincial works that benefit Canada."

Three ducks in a row all sitting there waiting to be shot by Mr Bernier or any other PM with the cajones to get things done. Yes, he could shove a pipeline down Quebecers throats or BC's jaws too. What the devil are JT and Libs waiting for? At the rate gov't moves, the oil will revert to dinosaurs and cycads again.

Unknown
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Volatile electorate could bedevil Trudeau’s Liberals, Scheer’s Conservatives

Canadian voters unhappy with the political status quo have always been willing to shake things up and in 2019, there’s a better-than-even chance that a preference to turn electoral politics upside down will be a major factor in the country’s 43rd general election.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/an ... &ocid=iehp

Perhaps people in Canada really are looking for an alternative to our own two-party system (the NDP and Green are essentially non-starters as alternatives at this time). If we want to shake up our politics, we are going to have to get out and vote for that. Outside of the partisan group I suspect few Canadians have the confidence we would be any better off with dimples at the helm. I personally wouldn’t even be comfortable with him being the leader of the opposition. We need at least one adult leading at least one party in Parliament. I really hope Bernier and the PPC do well in the election.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Catsumi wrote:I think all of us here in the Canada thread read the fine document that was posted in Big Government Lies posted by 99%.

It is possible and more than likely that Mad Max is aware and cognizant of this paragraph that I copied from Big Gov't Lies:

"Our government is lying when it contends that it has to await the outcome of law suits to restart the Trans Mountain project. The federal government has exclusive jurisdiction over environmental matters, and over interprovincial works that benefit one or more provinces and for provincial works that benefit Canada."

Three ducks in a row all sitting there waiting to be shot by Mr Bernier or any other PM with the cajones to get things done. Yes, he could shove a pipeline down Quebecers throats or BC's jaws too. What the devil are JT and Libs waiting for? At the rate gov't moves, the oil will revert to dinosaurs and cycads again.

Actually if you think through the nature of our confederation, one can say that yes, the federal government can indeed build a pipeline through any province at any time - but then pause to consider the consequences.

Alberta politicians are very often guilty of playing the populist card of "Western alienation". Quebec politicians have been equally guilty of playing up the populist card of "separation". Neither position is tenable - well not if you put prosperity into the equation. Yes, Alberta could go it alone, and survive, yes, Quebec could go it alone and survive - but surviving is different than being prosperous. Recently, we see such populist fiddling about in BC with the vacuous mouthings of George Heyman right down to the Vancouver Island Party.

Step back a bit. What you see are Provinces/regions that on balance would be rather stupid to leave confederation. The fate of BC is interlocked with Alberta and interlocked with the fate of Quebec, and the rest of the provinces. It is not a zero sum, by working together all are more prosperous. Yes, at times, it may appear that this or that province/region/group is aggrieved by another - and that is where the "coach" - the federal government - can smooth things over. Then at times the "referee" - the SCOC - has to blow the whistle.

For our Confederation to work, and truly work for all, the federal government, while having the right to be the "boss", must be cognizant that its real role is to be the "coach". Player "B" on the team may get their knickers in a knot at some point, and the successful coach smooths that over and gets the team working together. Next time it might be player "E". When the referee (the SCOC) blows the whistle, and calls a penalty - then the coach must respect that (even if the coach has options - the "nuclear one" being the notwithstanding clause followed by constitutional change. The "notwithstanding" clause is not a solution - it only puts an issue in abeyance for 5 years. In many ways it should be called the "kick the can down the road" clause.

Our confederation works, in large part, because it gives each province a great deal of power to deal with issues in a regionally responsive way. Health care, for example, is not delivered by the federal government (exception: FNs - and even that is changing - see BC FNs health authority) but is delivered by each of the provinces. The federal government coaches and coordinates, but does not interfere in decisions like which hospital gets a new MRI or a new cardiac wing etc.

We can't have it both ways. Provincial powers need to be respected, the "referee's whistle" of the SCOC needs to be respected, and the role of the federal government as the coach and coordinator needs to be respected.

So yes, the federal could indeed ram pipelines down the throat of Quebec and BC in theory. But would it be wise? Would it not have the "referee" blowing the whistle and tossing out red cards? It would be unwise for many reasons, not the least of which is long term damage to our confederation. Practically speaking, methinks that a Quebec pipeline would possibly even get to the point of requiring military intervention - opening a serious wound in confederation that would never heal.

The only prudent course to follow is to respect the referee's whistle, respect the provincial powers, and move forward in a careful, patient and considerate way. Harper and Oliver tried the "foot stamping" of impatience and short cuts - and the "referee" has blown the whistle thrown a couple of yellow cards at the TMX. They are not red cards. They are yellow cards for the short cuts that Harper and Oliver tried unsuccessfully. Those short cuts must now be fixed by doing what should have been done in the first place. The current government almost got by with some fixes to the Harper/Oliver short cuts, the Oceans Protection plan and other moves, but not quite.

We will, of course, continue to see pols in each of the provinces deeply involved in the current squabble play the populist cards for their own personal gain. In point of fact those populist cards are just card tricks by charlatans. George Heyman and the BC government do NOT have the right to throttle export products like grain, oil etc. Conversely Jason Kenney and the Alberta government does NOT have the right to build a pipeline through any other province. Both will play up their card tricks for perceived personal gain - but in the long term, they are both working against the interests of not only of Canada, but of their own provinces. Far let populism and far right populism may win votes here and there - but there is nothing valid or workable in either - they are just distractions.

IF you want the ultimate example of the chimera of populism look no further than the NEP of the 1980s. The NEP was deeply flawed in that it restricted the rights of provinces, that aside, the populism surrounding it still echoes today with negative consequences.

On the far left wing populist side was the notion that all Canadians could could be insulated from the impacts of skyrocketing global prices for oil. That just wasn't going to happen. The very nature of free markets is that shippers will go the highest priced market (which shifts over time).

On the far right populist side was the infamous "let the eastern *bleep* freeze in the dark" nonsense.

That rhetoric and the box that it created literally "threw the baby out with the bathwater". It was always in the long term interest of oil producing provinces to diversify their markets. Part of the NEP was a supply pipeline from the oil producing province to Ontario, Quebec and beyond. Part of the NEP was building up refining capacity in Canada. However, the ginning up of populist rhetoric, point blank for personal gain by politicians on all sides, resulted in those things becoming impossible.

What would Alberta give today to have a real full blown Energy East project? They would NOT be captive to US interests driving down WCS prices, and Canada would be far better off with Canadian consumption being refined in Canada from Canadian crude, far fewer tankers in Canadian waters etc. It would have been a win-win-win, but the populist pols didn't care - they were chasing a few "points in the game". This is what happens when short term interests of pols trump reasoned discussion.

(That kind of thing, by the way, is why I have a serious dislike of "career pols" who are only interested in their own hides and the latest polls and not the long term interests of Canada and Canadians.)

At any rate, while far right populist pols are happy to gin up the populist notion of forcing pipelines through, and far left pols are busy ginning up anti-oilsands nonsense, the interests of Canada and Canadians can only be served by patient working through the situation, and those populist snollygosters only serve to create a mess that works against all our interests in the long term.

The TMX will be built in the end. It is indeed in the national interest. Would that populist pols would take the national interest to heart, but sigh, they won't because their personal interest is always tops with them.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Catsumi wrote:Mad Max did it! He has candidates set to run in all 338 ridings.

Did a quick Google search and could not find the candidate for the south Okanagan. Any info?

Again did a google search on Scheer and Bernier. Right or wrong, I just have a distrust for professional politicians like Scheer. His biography has him working in an insurance office for a very short time. That's it for the private sector.
I believe Bernier has more smarts than Scheer and I suspect in Scheer's case he will be the puppet master and ones behind the scene are making and implementing policy. Reminds me of the last Bush president.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

seewood wrote: I believe Bernier has more smarts than Scheer ...

:135: my neighbors Yorkie has more smarts than dimples. How did the Cons screw up so bad?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Not quite accurate. He has riding associations set up in all 338 riding's. The candidates need to be chosen/elected for each riding.
There's still time to join and put your name forth.
Thankless job and I haven't the temperament for it, so unfortunately I will decline any nominations. :biggrin:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Canada”