Supreme Court rules against FN

burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Supreme Court rules against FN

Post by burnedatstake »

as soon as there are no special privileges for alberta - we can live with unicorns and rainbows.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

burnedatstake wrote:as soon as there are no special privileges for alberta - we can live with unicorns and rainbows.

Blah blah blah, you don't always make sense. Sorry, but it's true.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Catsumi wrote:I am hoping that this will make FN truly Canadian, living under the same laws, benefitting and suffering from Government decisions just like the rest of us.

Am I not truly Canadian? Since my Indian band is self governing? What a load of Ignorant BS.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Smurf wrote:Great decision! No small group should have the power to prevent our elected officials from doing their job.

So an even smaller group of people should have the right to amend treaties and laws that affect the people they will not consult?
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Brass Monkey wrote:
Smurf wrote:Great decision! No small group should have the power to prevent our elected officials from doing their job.

So an even smaller group of people should have the right to amend treaties and laws that affect the people they will not consult?

Yes. It's called the Supreme Court for a reason and, unlike America, it's NOT politically motivated.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

alanjh595 wrote:
burnedatstake wrote:sets up for an appeal that may have a chance to be won. touting this as a win is a bit premature.

An appeal MAY have a chance to be heard, but the chances of success is very small. The chances of winning are of much smaller than those of getting an appeal.

Sure Justin will rush in and appoint a few of his buddy judges to the supreme court so they can win this case just to keep his place on the door step at UN and his Noble Peace prize
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Brass Monkey wrote:
Catsumi wrote:I am hoping that this will make FN truly Canadian, living under the same laws, benefitting and suffering from Government decisions just like the rest of us.

Am I not truly Canadian? Since my Indian band is self governing? What a load of Ignorant BS.

And how is this a load of ignorant BS ?

I thought you all wanted to be included rather than excluded.

Or, perhaps you want everyone else to have same rights, privileges and montary gains as you do?
I might like this option best.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 12th, 2018, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 12th, 2018, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Catsumi wrote:

And how is this a load of ignorant BS ?

I thought you all wanted to be included rather than excluded.

Or, perhaps you want everyone else to have same rights, privileges and montary gains as you do?
I might like this option best.

Do you actually think my citizenry is up to question because I am First Nations?

We can be included without granting a tiny group of people the right to amend our constitution without us knowing anything about it.

I don’t think you or anybody you know would ever trade your life for one of a First Nations.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

"Or, perhaps you want everyone else to have same rights, privileges and montary gains as you do?"
Hmm, well if you are not status ( weird system that but) not a ton of " privileges"
I agree with Brassmonkey
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Brass Monkey wrote:

Smurf wrote:
Great decision! No small group should have the power to prevent our elected officials from doing their job.

Believe it or not that small group, or those small groups, Government and the Supreme court are there for exactly that reason. They actually make those decisions from single people to the whole population of Canada. That is their job and it is necessary to keep the country running properly. This is Canada we are all Canadian citizens. Are we not? Someone has to make the final decision or nothing will ever get done. I will guarantee that not everyone likes every decision and not everyone hates every decision. You can never make everyone happy. That is human nature and the reason we have final decision makers like the Supreme Court.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

This project is really very crucial to our country's economic sovereignty. It is also going to greatly benefit many First Nations along this route. With many bands looking for a way to lift their people out of poverty it is critical (Brass Monkey is absolutely correct in suggesting no non First Nations person here would trade their life for the life of a First Nations person in Canada – no matter what the perceived benefits). It is well past time to get the shovels in the ground. Go Canada!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Snman wrote:
Yes. It's called the Supreme Court for a reason and, unlike America, it's NOT politically motivated.

I wouldn't go that far...
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

burnedatstake wrote:as soon as there are no special privileges for alberta - we can live with unicorns and rainbows.

Special privileges like what? They don't pay sales taxes?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”