Pardon Me!

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Pardon Me!

Post by Ken7 »

Today I learned that the Trudeau Government is going to pardon all those who have gotten a previous Criminal Record for possession, who knows maybe even trafficking for all I know.

The cost was approximately $650.00 and there was a waiting period. Well Trudeau you goof, waiving the fees and is going to flash them all over so they show they are pardoned.

Sadly, stupid does not realize as most all of you also will not when you roll into USA customs and say, "No I've never been arrested". You are being dishonest. Oh, no that does not bother me, but I wish to let you know USA Customs will show your previous record for possession and that you have been pardoned.

Chances are you, your wife, your children will all be turned back if you don't wish to return to Canada on your own.

I don't feel they should waive the costs, someone's time will be consumed and others wishing to be processed say for a Canada Temporary residency or work permit will be pushed to the side. Keep the pardon me to the side. The others should not be punished!
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Pardon Me!

Post by Omnitheo »

Do they ask if you’ve ever been arrested? At customs and job applications I’ve always seen the question framed as “have you ever received a criminal conviction for which you have not been pardoned”
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As I said is another thread, the US does not recognize pardon.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Omnitheo wrote:Do they ask if you’ve ever been arrested? At customs and job applications I’ve always seen the question framed as “have you ever received a criminal conviction for which you have not been pardoned”

I've been asked and also have you ever been finger printed. When asked I always answered "yes" as I have been. I then explained for employment.

"Have a nice day!" They are so friendly at USA Customs.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

At customs, when entering the US, I’ve never had "have you ever been arrested" nor have I been asked about fingerprinting. I’ve been asked if I have ever been convicted of a crime but never asked about a pardon.
They don’t care about pardons and a fingerprinting question is stupid as there are many reasons for that. I have been fingerprinted for a local volunteer position for a criminal record check. It was a surprise call back because there was evidently some issue with someone of the same name or birthdate so they needed to verify with fingerprints.

Arrested is stupid because it has no relation to guilt or innocence.

Nevertheless, those are my experiences and they obviously differ than the other two situations described above.
You and 71 others Like this post
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LANDM wrote:At customs, when entering the US, I’ve never had "have you ever been arrested" nor have I been asked about fingerprinting. I’ve been asked if I have ever been convicted of a crime but never asked about a pardon.
They don’t care about pardons and a fingerprinting question is stupid as there are many reasons for that. I have been fingerprinted for a local volunteer position for a criminal record check. It was a surprise call back because there was evidently some issue with someone of the same name or birthdate so they needed to verify with fingerprints.

Arrested is stupid because it has no relation to guilt or innocence.

Nevertheless, those are my experiences and they obviously differ than the other two situations described above.

Next time you slip down ask them direct questions about your past.

IF it is a misdemeanor ( summary offence in Canada ) they might let you in. Reality is, they don't have to let you in and you really have no recourse. Attitude alone could get you turned around to go home.

There was a day when you were refused entry for Impaired Driving. I know as people I've dealt with told me so. As for a question such as have you ever been arrested, or printed it opens up dialogue and they will be watching for your response.

I used to go to the USA more than 12 time a month and have many interactions with US officials.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Ken7 has it right.
Last week I was asked if I had recently smoked marijuana lol. This was going through U.S Customes in the Calgary airport.
Things are tightening up for stateside travel. And yo do not want to be dishonest with a U.S Customs official.

Trudeau’s streamlined pardon won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on at the border.
But it’s their country...their rules.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Leifer wrote:Ken7 has it right.
Last week I was asked if I had recently smoked marijuana lol. This was going through U.S Customes in the Calgary airport.
Things are tightening up for stateside travel. And yo do not want to be dishonest with a U.S Customs official.

Trudeau’s streamlined pardon won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on at the border.

I've heard on TV they suggest, plead the 5th. do not answer the question.

I still want to hear how that will work.

Think about it, if asked a simple question such as do you smoke pot ?
I plead the 5th.

Good one, sorry you're not welcome I suspect will be the answer. Canadian Lawyers are not the ones saying Welcome to USA. They want your pot money and are no better then the old dealers.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Only thing that would enable those with a pot conviction to travel to the US, is to have that conviction expunged (pardon won't do it).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

GordonH wrote:

Only thing that would enable those with a pot conviction to travel to the US, is to have that conviction expunged (pardon won't do it).

Not true. You can apply for a “waiver of inillegiblity”
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Only thing that would enable those with a pot conviction to travel to the US, is to have that conviction expunged (pardon won't do it).

Hassel99 wrote:Not true. You can apply for a “waiver of inillegiblity”

Good luck trying to get one of those on a drug conviction in the US, you'll have better luck getting expunged by the Canadian government.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I think many of you on the far-right are making stuff up. You are letting Trudeau Derangement Syndrome get in the way of rational thought. I think oftentimes those thoughts are motivated by that vile and stupid crud published on those far-right web sites many rely on. Thanks a lot, Ezra.

I've been through customs hundreds of times, and I've never been asked by CBP if I smoke pot. Some people are asked in secondary if they've EVER smoked pot. I doubt even the pious right-wingers on board could honestly answer "no." And if they answer "yes," that's good for a lifetime ban.

Do you think CBP agents are stupid? If they're going to keep you out of the US, it's going to be for a valid reason, not some BS reason.

The Trudeau government is also making it easier for folks who were criminally charged with committing homosexual acts decades ago to apply for a pardon. Do you think CBP is also going to ask you if you've taken it up the toosh? Will that tube of Astroglide in your shaving kit be enough to keep you cooling your heels in holding for a few hours?

The pardons are a good thing. They are correcting a wrong. Many of the people applying will be in their 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Many have led exemplary lives and I'm sure they'll be glad there will be an easy, inexpensive, streamlined way to get this monkey off their backs.

Shame on those of you who try to politicize it or try to make it about getting into that Trumpist hellhole south of the border.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I like watching Border Security and similar shows. Seeing first hand what has happened and what could happen and the possibilities leads me to believe some take things for granted when they really should read up on the legalities of entering another country.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Ken7 wrote:Today I learned that the Trudeau Government is going to pardon all those who have gotten a previous Criminal Record for possession, who knows maybe even trafficking for all I know.

You're an ex cop, you should either be absolutely aware that procession and trafficking are different and separate charges, or you're being wilfully misleading which is pathetic.

Grow up. I'm getting tired of partisan lying and tears.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

FreeRights wrote:You're an ex cop, you should either be absolutely aware that procession and trafficking are different and separate charges, or you're being wilfully misleading which is pathetic.

Grow up. I'm getting tired of partisan lying and tears.

I'm unsure what your point is, I've never heard of "PROCESSION".

I do disagree with a pardon even for possession and that is my right. You likely have one as you seem to be quite upset.
Did you not know it was against the law then?

As for my comment of likely dropping or pardoning traffickers, that is being sarcastic as if you have not caught on yet, I think Trudeau is a pathetic Prime minister.

Misleading, grow up! You are acting like a child and I don't play with children.

Return to “Canada”