Crooked Scheer Swindled Nearly $50K from Taxpayers

crookedmember
Banned

Crooked Scheer Swindled Nearly $50K from Taxpayers

Post by crookedmember »

While living at his parents' Ottawa home, little Andy--sorry, I mean Blue Collar Andy--charged taxpayers nearly $50,000 for accommodation and per diems.

This is the same guy who blathered for 2 weeks about a swing set Trudeau paid for.

What a guy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/12/0 ... 56270.html
All posts 100% moderator approved!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Crooked Scheer Swindled Nearly $50K from Taxpayers

Post by rustled »

Another titillating tempest in a teapot. He didn't say he was living there, he stayed there occasionally when in town because (gasp!) he and his family enjoy seeing each other.
Tuesday evening, at the Conservative leadership debate in Moncton, Scheer was asked about his large expenses while staying at his parents’ home. Scheer said that with a large family, he often used hotels but stayed with his parents the odd time. He said his receipts had all been submitted properly.

“I still from time to time drop in,” Scheer said, of staying with his parents. “Probably not as much as they like, they always like to see me more often.”

I realize the accusations of "crooked" and "swindled" have been used for hyperbole, but I'm always surprised when forums allow it. And, when one has to resort to this sort of thing...
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

The OP's username is rather indicative of what we should expect though isn't it.
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

crookedmember wrote:While living at his parents' Ottawa home, little Andy--sorry, I mean Blue Collar Andy--charged taxpayers nearly $50,000 for accommodation and per diems.

This is the same guy who blathered for 2 weeks about a swing set Trudeau paid for.

What a guy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/12/0 ... 56270.html

Drop in the bucket compared to the millions Trudeau has swindled the taxpayers out of - sending foreign aid to muslim extremist organizations.

Take your Lieberal card - no one want's to hear your disinformation and lies, since I see no proof of your allegation, one can only expect you are a lieberal sympathizer trying to discredit the next government.
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I wonder if the NDP has ever repaid the millions that they spent on satellite offices? I remember Scheer being a real pain in the NDP's side about that theft of taxpayer cash by the NDP.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-mp ... -1.2944163
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Rather than using this incident as a way of criticizing Andrew Scheer, we ought to be using it as a way of criticizing the entire system that makes such abuses possible. Because I'm certain that Andrew Scheer isn't the only one who's used this particular loophole on occasion.

The system could easily be improved upon by requiring receipts in order to be reimbursed for such expenses. So why isn't it structured that way? Time for change.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

^^It's being made to look like a loophole, like someone is gaming the system, like the system was gamed.

Tuesday evening, at the Conservative leadership debate in Moncton, Scheer was asked about his large expenses while staying at his parents’ home. Scheer said that with a large family, he often used hotels but stayed with his parents the odd time. He said his receipts had all been submitted properly.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

In an interview with CPAC in 2010, host Catherine Clark asked Scheer where he lives when he stays in Ottawa.

“I sleep in the same bed I slept in when I was in high school and elementary school. I stay with Mum and Dad,” Scheer said, laughing and blushing.

“Sometimes,” he said, his parents wait up for him. “My parents like to, you know, visit with me and I like to visit with them, so sometimes when I am going out in the morning, they’ll say: ‘What time do you think you’ll be back?’ and I’ll say, ‘Maybe seven o’clock or so,’ and then, invariably, I’ll have a supper meeting, or the House will sit late and I end up stuck in my office returning phone calls or things like that. And I come home at nine, and my parents will say ‘I thought you said you’d be home at seven,’” Scheer said, mimicking them and sighing.

“It’s funny. I like it,” he told Clark, who agreed that the scenario sounded lovely.

“It’s great on a lot of levels,” Scheer added. “It saves the taxpayers money, because I’m staying with Mom and Dad, not at hotels…. I’m living off my parents,” he said, laughing.

While little Andy was "saving the taxpayers money, living off his parents," he was also lining his pockets with $50,000 of taxpayers' money. This is fraud. This is the definition of a crook.

But of course to so-called conservatives, ethics are like deficits--they only matter when the other side is doing it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:Rather than using this incident as a way of criticizing Andrew Scheer, we ought to be using it as a way of criticizing the entire system that makes such abuses possible. Because I'm certain that Andrew Scheer isn't the only one who's used this particular loophole on occasion.

The system could easily be improved upon by requiring receipts in order to be reimbursed for such expenses. So why isn't it structured that way? Time for change.

Wasn't Jake Layton and his wife Olivia Chow claiming a bunch of rent expenses that weren't legitimate?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/letter ... ur-expense
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

crookedmember wrote:
But of course to so-called conservatives, ethics are like deficits--they only matter when the other side is doing it.

LOL - a Liberal lecturing others on ethics. This I find hilarious. Did you type out this post while flying in the Aga Khan's helicopter with Seamus O'Reagan? Unbelievable.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I don't know what the rules are when it comes to justifying their expenses (and maybe I should, but not sure where to look). However, I repeat, IF it is possible to claim housing expenses without providing receipts, then that needs to be changed in order to avoid the kind of abuse that Scheer is being accused of. Because, as GB points out, other politicians may well be doing the same or similar.

I've no objection to politicians being paid living expenses when their job takes them away from home. But they should be required to provide receipts.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I don't think so, Merry.

This is about the guy who spent 2 weeks blathering about a swing set (that Trudeau paid for), a guy who wants to be Prime Minister, stealing $50,000 from taxpayers.

They don't have to provide receipts, but just because you can get away with it, doesn't mean you should do it.

Character is defined by what you do when nobody is watching. Clearly Scheer has none. He's a liar and a crook.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

crookedmember wrote:
Character is defined by what you do when nobody is watching. .

Which is why JT tried to hide his entire trip to the Aga Khan's island from the media. Even he, as dumb as he is, knew he had made an ethics boo-boo.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

crookedmember wrote:
This is about the guy who spent 2 weeks blathering about a swing set (that Trudeau paid for),.

I would have preferred that he focused on the sauna that Trudeau had installed at taxpayer expense.

The swing set was among a number of upgrades to the lakeside retreat, according to documents obtained by the CBC. There was also the installation of a sauna (which the PM paid for himself, but taxpayers footed the $4,368 cost to put it in), a new screened patio, with three umbrellas and stands ($10,000) and a $5,000 golf cart, among other items. But it was $7,500 for the swings that the Conservatives decided to set their sights on. It was their $16 glass of orange juice.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -politics/
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I don't know what sort of confused person confuses the required upkeep of government property (Scheer himself just received a $100,000 roof and chimney) with swindling $50,000 cash from the taxpayers.

Like I often say about conservatives, it's debating small, slow children.

Return to “Canada”