Stats Canada wants all our personal information

Stats Canada wants all our personal information

Postby the truth » Oct 27th, 2018, 3:52 pm

ok this is just insane :200: https://globalnews.ca/news/4599953/excl ... paign=2014 another reason why that spineless goof jt will not win the next election :smt045
Last edited by the truth on Oct 27th, 2018, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

4 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7254 posts

Re: Stats Canada wants all our personal information

Postby Bsuds » Oct 27th, 2018, 3:56 pm

I agree 100%. That's just not acceptable!
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.

4 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 27th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Hopefully the banks will tell stats-Canada were to stick their request... aka where the sun does not shine.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

4 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8720 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby FreeRights » Oct 27th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Surprisingly good on some of the banks to stick up, even a bit.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

2 people like this post.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2030 posts

Postby Catsumi » Oct 27th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Absolutely, totally outrageous!!

This is the thin edge of the wedge towards Big Brother in your bed. Next it will be your private medical history. ! ("For statistical purposes only, we want access to 1,000 of you or so, just to start. Promise none of this info will be used against you and guaranteed we will keep it safely secured" ....yeah, right)

To have even a suggestion of this type of privacy invasion by any "distant" branch of gov't should be cause for immediate removal of that government. They are floating this to test reaction, then later it will come up again and again until it's a done deal. There is something behind this as there is no way Stats Can "needs" such info. Mark my words.

When there is a security breach, as there surely will, you can bet your S.I.N. that JT's private info won't be found in the resulting mess.

Election Day....please come soon. JT and this horrid excuse for government must GO.

I rarely swear but I am now. :cuss:
J.T.--riddled with scandal, corruption, overspending. Thinks Japan is China.

Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

8 people like this post.
Catsumi

Liked in: 4820 posts

Postby Jlabute » Oct 27th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Trudeau gave stats a boost in funding. I think it is stats can and the banks who want faster more relevant information and they are working together. Stats Can alone has the authority to take any info they want.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/statcan-vaults-into-the-21st-century
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1631 posts

Postby Catsumi » Oct 27th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Well, here's an idea: Have every MP, including PM, and Senator be the first to open their private info for stat purposes.

4 people like this post.
Catsumi

Postby normaM » Oct 28th, 2018, 6:23 am

Becomes more like Max Headroom daily.
Maybe time taxpayers take back some privacy.. start a bit of a dust up.
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

2 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5144 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Oct 28th, 2018, 6:29 am

Don't know why but I always assumed they had that info.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2264 posts

Postby Catsumi » Oct 28th, 2018, 10:31 am

If, when you are reading the link that Truthy provided you will notice sidebars indicating the grievous breaches of security committed by our very own federal government. There are also lawsuits in the millions of bucks of Canadians who have been betrayed by gov't mishandling.

I remember about 30 years ago looking up in gov't statute book as to just who or what had access to your SIN. At that time it was the Tax Dept, your employer and your investment firm/bank. Government depts were NOT allowed to share amongst themselves. I see many tinkerings have taken place since then, but basically, from what I can understand perusing link below, is that Stats Can is prying at loopholes to allow them into your private business.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topic ... ce-number/

As the Ontario privacy commissioner said....if Stats Can really, really NEEDS such banking info from 500,000 Canadians to track how much money is spent on vacations out of country, etc. they could just as easily be happy with that same info after it has been de-identified, thereby protecting privacy of individuals.

If Stats Can succeeds in this blatant travesty, and if that private info is not de-identified, they can glean endlessly YOUR info by simply revolving onto the next 500,000 individuals (or more probably). This is how Big Brother operates.

Either we object strongly or we see more intrusion from different arms of gov't.

2 people like this post.
Catsumi

Postby Queen K » Oct 28th, 2018, 10:42 am

It's only a matter of time before your social services will be linked to your spending habits.

Buy a lot of the sin tax stuff? You're going to have a co-pay.
Buy a lot of what someone else determines isn't necessary? You're not going to get quite what you think you are getting in a many types of payments, including perhaps pensions.

I say the older generations had it the best. Our younger generations are going to be so controlled via their spending and pay it's going to make for a bleak future.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.

csm likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14653 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 28th, 2018, 10:58 am

If my financial institution does hand over this information & I find out about it. I sure as hell will be looking for one that said hell no *blank* off.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

3 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Catsumi » Oct 28th, 2018, 11:04 am

From what I can divine from this evil invasion of your privacy, you will NOT be notified that your info is being handed over by your bank. You will never know until after a privacy breach has become public knowledge which could take years after the fact.

If we do not raise hell about this be prepared to see more of the same coming our way.
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 28th, 2018, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catsumi

Postby GordonH » Oct 28th, 2018, 11:11 am

Catsumi wrote:From what I can divine from this evil invasion of your privacy, you will NOT be notified that your info is being handed over by your bank. You will never know until after a privacy breach has become public knowledge which could take years after the fact.

If we do not raise hell about this be prepared to see more of the same coming our way.

Well then everyone needs to contact their financial institution, say hell no to stats Canada request.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Catsumi » Oct 28th, 2018, 11:28 am

Actually, contacting your MP would be (hopefully) more fruitful.

I do hope that everyone carefully reads through the links with care. Should I have misunderstood please correct my assessments.

Do we have a lawyer in here who can contribute their thoughts? At one time laws were easy and straightforward to understand as all was contained within the same section. Now they are written in simple language (hooray) but are linked to more links for every variance, definition and deviation. Lots of tinkering and meddling as whittling away at our rights goes unseen and unnoticed by most. It's like going down a rabbit hole in Alice's Wonderland.

csm likes this post.
Catsumi

Next

Return to Canada