Stats Canada wants all our personal information

Re: Stats Canada wants all our personal information

Postby Gone_Fishin » Nov 5th, 2018, 6:13 am

Catsumi wrote:Actually, contacting your MP would be (hopefully) more fruitful.

I'd love to contact my MP about it. Unfortunately, the guy is invisible in this riding (what's his name again?), and will never, ever go against Trudeau. He endorses child killers with his voting, so should I expect he will give a hoot about my privacy? Not a bloody chance in hell. :swear:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

3 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4557 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 5th, 2018, 7:01 am

Yes, this issue turned me inside out and backwards, like a bad Horror B Movie. I'm afraid all the good will, chances and the good things the Trudeau govt has done, like apologize officially for the brutal hangings of native chiefs, just can not override this unbelievable lapse. Because it won't be a lapse. Soon it will be official policy, and it's a thin edge of the wedge to just investigate all bank accounts.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14173 posts

Postby normaM » Nov 5th, 2018, 7:43 am

13,000 is nothing.. guess people aren't too concerned. I didn't sign the petition because it was to me another form of mining info name and address should have been enough.
Because what they are collecting is financial info ( including your BA number and credit card) it is going to be a hacker's wet dream.
Knowing how " secure" Govt IT system is prolly some kid in Russia is planning her/his shopping spree
Stats Can's password is prolly STATSCAN lol
When no one will cheat with you
Maybe cheating not your thing

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4475 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 5th, 2018, 10:01 am

Queen K wrote:Yes, this issue turned me inside out and backwards, like a bad Horror B Movie. I'm afraid all the good will, chances and the good things the Trudeau govt has done, like apologize officially for the brutal hangings of native chiefs, just can not override this unbelievable lapse. Because it won't be a lapse. Soon it will be official policy, and it's a thin edge of the wedge to just investigate all bank accounts.

You know Justin Trudeau and statscan are two different entities right?
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4377 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 5th, 2018, 10:28 am

Normadearie. Fear not at signing the petition. I have signed other e-petitions directly linked to House of Commons and did not receive visits from jackboots, thugs or Nigerian Princes. (Mind you, things are changing fast here in Canada)

This petition is probably just one of a hundred that are circulating throughout the kingdom and together, we can make the boychild and StatsCan hear our collective displeasure.

StatsCan is under control of government headed by JT, so they are NOT entirely separate entities.

Sign Norma, or I steal shrimp off your plate. [icon_lol2.gif]

Now at 15,000

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-1920
J. Trudeau, the PM who brought corruption, scandal and spending to a laughing world stage

Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

4 people like this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3754 posts

Postby Merry » Nov 5th, 2018, 10:39 am

Omnitheo wrote: You know Justin Trudeau and statscan are two different entities right?

Stats Can is a Government Agency, and the Minister responsible for Stats Can is currently Navdeep Bains.

It was established and regulated by Government Statue, and the information it generates is used by Government to help determine policy.

For example, if this latest intrusion into Canadian's privacy determines that Canadians are under reporting their income, that could give Government the excuse to raise taxes.

So it's perfectly legitimate to contact your MP (or Trudeau) if you feel that the Government has given Stats Can too much authority to delve into Canadians Personal information with neither their knowledge or consent.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Omnitheo likes this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 6018 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 5th, 2018, 11:17 am

Since no one has commented yet on this link I posted yesterday, here it is again.

It seems that the scoop of credit info from a credit assessment agency by StatsCan (without victims permission or knowledge) has now put trade with Europe in jeopardy. The Canadian Chamber of Commerce is alarmed that StatsCan may have just cost us a few billion bucks in trade loss as they (Europe) have a law stating that real privacy laws must exist with their trading partners (Canada, for example). In other words,( mine) it seems that they may not wish to trade with states that don't protect personal privacy of their citizens.

It will be Interesting how we may be perceived by other countries who were once living under the Nazi heel.

Https://globalnews.ca/news/4624369/stat ... -scooping/
Last edited by Catsumi on Nov 5th, 2018, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Trudeau, the PM who brought corruption, scandal and spending to a laughing world stage

3 people like this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby normaM » Nov 5th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Must protect my shrimp so I signed it ( mutter mutter) I agree more forceful to call as if they'll take your call.
" Hello, I'm an angry Canadian Citizen"
" click"

4 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby Merry » Nov 5th, 2018, 12:25 pm

From the link that Catsumi provided:
The government has an obligation to do what they preach in terms of expectation of the private sector and be transparent in the information that they want to collect, be judicial in how much information they collect, and they should be obligated to have some form of consent.

10/10
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

3 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 6018 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 6th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Here's some more on this ugly story

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby- ... -the-banks

By tomorrow afternoon, 20,000 signatures will have been gathered. By March 1 there should be an overwhelming scream in Lib ears.

For those late to this party, here is petition again. Sign, copy link and send to pals. Put on your FB page too. :biggrin:

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-1920

Merry likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby JagXKR » Nov 7th, 2018, 1:09 pm

How in the world can people possibly think that the government is not the safest place on earth to share personal information? I mean come on, there are no breaches. Right?
Umm ......wait a minute.......

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/241343/Gov-t-weed-privacy-breach

Given that the vulnerability occurred through Canada Post, Beamish said any further privacy action rested with the federal commissioner, who did not immediately comment.

Personal information at risk, and this was only 4500 not half a million. Your federal tax dollars at work. :-X
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

2 people like this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1286 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 7th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Hahahaha!

Don't you just love it, how secure our privacy is in the hands of Big Brother and its siblings?

Canada Post says "no action has been taken" Just what the hell does this mean anyway?

Sure, they can notify the poor slobs who were victimized and I am sure they will be comforted in that they were at least TOLD of the security breach.

The gong show continues. Each and every day.

:smt045

Almost at 20,000 signatures.

Merry likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby normaM » Nov 7th, 2018, 2:42 pm

CAts, I was just going to post that article. Stats Can can just ask Canada Post for the info I guess :/
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby Jlabute » Nov 7th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Just got some of my buddies to sign the petition. 19960.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

Catsumi likes this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1443 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 7th, 2018, 3:31 pm

normaM wrote:CAts, I was just going to post that article. Stats Can can just ask Canada Post for the info I guess :/

Thank Jag for posting that.

Jlabute just got another moist skunk lick. Will hit 20,000 by coffeebreak time.

Jlabute likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Canada