Trudeau Nationalizing the Mainstream Media

Re: Trudeau Nationalizing the Mainstream Media

Postby Mordu » Dec 29th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Wait a minute?
Government of Canada

http://www.budget.gc.ca/fes-eea/2018/do ... 18-eng.pdf

Access to Charitable Tax Incentives for Eligible News Organizations

Budget 2018 announced that the Government would explore new models that would enable private giving and philanthropic support for trusted, professional, non-profit journalism, including local news. To that end, the Government intends to introduce a new category of qualified donee, for non-profit journalism organizations that produce a wide variety of news and information of interest to Canadians. As qualified donees, eligible non-profit journalism organizations would be able to issue official donation receipts, which allows donors to benefit from tax incentives for charitable giving (including the Charitable Donations Tax Credit for individuals and deductions for corporations). As qualified donees, these organizations would also be eligible to receive funding from registered charities.

A New Refundable Tax Credit to Support News Organizations

To further support news journalism in Canada, the Government intends to introduce a new refundable tax credit for qualifying news organizations. This new measure will aim to support Canadian news organizations that produce a wide variety of news and information of interest to Canadians. The refundable credit will support labour costs associated with producing original news content and will generally be available to both non-profit and for-profit news organizations. An independent panel will be established from the news and journalism community to define eligibility for this tax credit, as well as provide advice on other measures. Once established, the effective date of the refundable tax credit will be set for January 1, 2019.

A New Non-Refundable Tax Credit for Subscriptions to
Canadian Digital News Media

To support Canadian digital news media organizations in achieving a more financially sustainable business model, the Government intends to introduce a new temporary, non-refundable 15-per-cent tax credit for qualifying subscribers of eligible digital news media.

In total, the proposed access to tax incentives for charitable giving, refundable tax credit for labour costs and non-refundable tax credit for subscriptions will cost the federal government an estimated $595 million over the next five years. Additional details on these measures will be provided in Budget 2019.

So my media organization and I would still be free to produce unbiased reports; we just might not be able to issue any official tax-free donation receipts, may not be eligible for tax credits towards labour costs associated with producing original news content, and may not be eligible for a non-refundable 15-per-cent tax credit for qualifying subscribers of eligible digital news media, but there are still ways to raise independent support money to get going and keep going, right?

For instance how about crowdfunding? http://www.crowdfundbeat.ca/canadian-cr ... directory/

I mean, after all, from what I’ve read on this forum, as support for members' comments, they actually want to draw on unbiased reporting that isn’t feeding at the trough, right? So my organisation and I would be really popular as a source here, right?
I'm a Canada Climate Action Tracker--no 'Big Government Lie,' it's an in-joke from the "Bickering Room."

Omnitheo likes this post.
Mordu
Fledgling

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby Snman » Jan 4th, 2019, 7:42 am

Well the Canadian Press chose to exclude Alberta and British Columbia here. Not that we matter.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... employment
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 936 posts

Postby Gilchy » Jan 4th, 2019, 8:28 am

Snman wrote:Well the Canadian Press chose to exclude Alberta and British Columbia here. Not that we matter.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... employment

Thinking that’s a Castanet copy/paste oversight, as the B.C. and AB stats are on other outlets’ stories, and B.C. and AB cities are lower in the same link.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 565 posts

Postby Snman » Jan 4th, 2019, 9:01 am

^^^ Ah, I see. My post was somewhat tongue in cheek but thanx for the update. ^^^
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 936 posts

Previous

Return to Canada