Support for Oil Patch Vow

Re: Support for Oil Patch Vow

Postby Mordu » Dec 6th, 2018, 5:38 am

Well, the DV material's there if anyone cares, so I think that I'll just let it rest.
Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 214 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 6th, 2018, 11:13 am

Mordu wrote:Well, the DV material's there if anyone cares, so I think that I'll just let it rest.

I just finished trying to watch that video, but either the microphone wasn't working very well, or my ears weren't. I wasn't able to hear much of it at all, but it sounds like DV is going to be doing some really good things with alternative clean energy. I guess I owe those guys an apology for what I said yesterday. I wish them well in their clean energy endeavours.

2 people like this post.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 6th, 2018, 10:17 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
Those polls are as reputable as the ones here on Castanet. Surveys conducted by online news outlets are as biased as their readership.

:spitcoffee:

Trust me that one does not see the irony in that statement. [icon_lol2.gif]
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

OKkayak likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7442 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 6th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Cactusflower wrote:https://globalnews.ca/video/3228618/the-history-of-albertas-boom-bust-economy
There is nothing new about this latest 'bust' in the Alberta oil industry. Those guys in Drayton Valley didn't just fall off the turnip truck. By the looks of them, they've been around for a least a few 'busts' in the past, and they'll likely be around for a couple more, Perhaps if they had paid attention to what economists have been saying for decades, they wouldn't be in dire straits now.

It's time for Albertans to face the reality that's been staring them in the face for such a long time.

Blooming pity you can't follow your own advice it is. :biggrin:
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

4 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7442 posts

Postby blue iguana » Dec 10th, 2018, 1:05 pm

‘Canadians are watching their net worth shrink’: Canoe’s Rafi Tahmazian on energy woes
Rafi Tahmazian, senior portfolio manager with Canoe Financial, shares his recommendations with BNN Bloomberg on how to get out of current energy crisis.
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/economics/v ... es~1556921
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.

2 people like this post.
blue iguana
Fledgling

Liked in: 240 posts

Postby rustled » Dec 10th, 2018, 2:05 pm

^^Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 8812 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 10th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Catsumi wrote:Possibly there is little left of trust and confidence in "commitments" made by this federal gov't.

Hence the railcar order by Alberta. They can't wait forever for promises kept or promises broken.

That depends on your perspective. Nobody can wave Dumbeldor's wand and make the situation instantly better.

Peter Lougheed said a long time ago that the pace of development in the oilsands should be slowed. That was before tight oil horizontal frackng...

At any rate, the federal responsibilities are not being shirked, you don't get a better commitment than buying a pipeline/expansion project. The pressure box that the federal Liberals have been willing to put themselves in is politically fraught, and they would not have got there if they weren't committed to making it happen. But that's the long term.

On the flip side, farmers are complaining that they can't get their product to market fast enough. The federal Liberals have made some moves to improve that situation, especially reopening Churchill. Running more oil by rail would defeat that effort - making the situation very tricky.

The short term, production cuts, is indeed a provincial responsibility. It has been handled.

The short/medium term is really tough. There are no short cuts, and by the time enough rail cars are received to make a difference, it is likely that the TMX will be under construction. Last time I checked, the lead time for crude oil tank cars was around 18 months (not sure if that has changed). Do you commit billions to new crude oil tank cars when we don't have the rail capacity and the TMX will likely be well under construction before the first car is received?

Political expediency may demand a look at rail cars, but in reality will they really make a difference in the medium/long term? At a guess, I don't think so... but I don't have much more to base that guess on.

ETA: I am especially suspect of the rail car route because the producers themselves do lease and/or procure rail cars. If the capacity was there to get the product to market - at least the markets they want - would they not already have done so?
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10646 posts

Postby Catsumi » Dec 10th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Yeah, I know, the railcar issue sucks big time. I did mention some time ago of concerns that grain shipments will lag further behind in delivery dates when the rail is taken up by miles of oil tankers. How many railcars do producers have at their disposal right now? Idk, but sounds like not enough. Why else raise the spectre of having to order more? Lots of added costs to the product....will it even be worth it if oil prices stay low?

It is too bad that our governments are busy kow-towing to dingbat environmentalists to the detriment of the overall economy of Canada. Even the enviro-nuts will lose when the first batch of railcars slams into the Fraser River.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)

2 people like this post.
Catsumi

Liked in: 4861 posts

Postby tykrz » Dec 13th, 2018, 4:06 pm

It’s easy to be in big business these days as corporate welfare is rampant around the globe!
If they cant make it on their own let them go under! Only then will you get resoonsible management.
tykrz

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby blue iguana » Dec 20th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Very informative interview.

W. Brett Wilson, chairman of Canoe Financial, discusses his views on Bill C-69 and the issues facing Canada's energy sector.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCf1BOv1QQ
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.

Mordu likes this post.
blue iguana
Fledgling

Liked in: 240 posts

Postby Mordu » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:43 am

Straight up, too.

A letter from Quebec to my friends in Alberta

Alec Castonguay: You’re angry, I get it. But the source of your woes is not Quebec, where consumption of Canadian oil has in fact exploded

by Alec Castonguay

Dec 20, 201

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/a-letter ... n-alberta/

But I'm still a fan of Energy East. For Canadian energy sovereignty and security.
Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 214 posts

Previous

Return to Canada