Huawei Hullabalu

Re: Huawei Hullabalu

Postby fvkasm2x » Dec 24th, 2018, 7:30 am

I know there are probably contracts and lots of money involved with said contracts...

But I find it absolutely reprehensible that CBC and Hockey Night keep airing the commercials for this company after the country (and laterally, the company itself) essentially kidnapped and imprisoned Canadian citizens in retribution for their employee.

I know you can't just walk away from a contract, but there's gotta be a loophole in there somewhere about morality clauses or something. Advertising for them on TV just seems really really wrong

the truth likes this post.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1423 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:40 am

agree 100%.............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6628 posts

Postby Pete Podoski » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:46 am

fvkasm2x wrote:I know there are probably contracts and lots of money involved with said contracts...

But I find it absolutely reprehensible that CBC and Hockey Night keep airing the commercials for this company after the country (and laterally, the company itself) essentially kidnapped and imprisoned Canadian citizens in retribution for their employee.

I know you can't just walk away from a contract, but there's gotta be a loophole in there somewhere about morality clauses or something. Advertising for them on TV just seems really really wrong

That's what you get when the Liberals buy off CBC and other "selected" media outlets with $600 million of our money.
#LetHerSpeak

2 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Board Meister

Liked in: 1192 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Dec 24th, 2018, 10:35 am

Pete Podoski wrote:
That's what you get when the Liberals buy off CBC and other "selected" media outlets with $600 million of our money.

As disgusting as that issue is, I don't think this issue has anything to do with the liberal government.

Huawei would have made a deal with CBC and HNIC for commercial spots, as companies. No different than buying ad spots for any TV show or channel.

If the deal is to air "X" amount of commercials during "X" shows and months, you can't really get around that (unless as I said, there are exist clauses). Huawei could sue for breach of contract if the ads were pulled.

That said... I still find it disturbing and gross, morally.

bernie428 likes this post.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1423 posts

Postby bob vernon » Dec 29th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Of course it doesn't have anything to do with the Liberals, or any government. It has to do with a corporation buying commercial time to enhance it's image. But nothing will stop the extreme right wing element from trying to spin a Huawei commercial as some kind of attack on our sensibilities by Justin Trudeau. I don't trust Huawei either. We should not be doing any business with them in this country.
Huawei has a negative image, so the Conservative will do anything to attempt to make a link between Trudeau and anything negative.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1409 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 29th, 2018, 1:16 pm

All we ever hear is they suspect Huawei of this and that with no proof given. (at least not to us)

I need to be given some proof before I will throw them under a Bus.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!

hobbyguy likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11959 posts

Postby ninetyninepct » Dec 29th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Mark1111 wrote:https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trump-s-willingness-to-intervene-in-meng-detention-raises-new-questions-1.4214640

And now we look like idiots for pandering to the US laws while Trump plays the big man and marginalises our efforts. Reminds me of the Disney cartoon with the small dog trying to impress the big dog " Hey Spike want me to get you another bone huh do you want that huh can I get that for you huh huh????"

We look pathetic.

Canada is following an international agreement. Ir has nothing to do with Trudeau or Trump. Trump just happens to be the President and Trudeau is Trudeau. He put himself in a hard spot by openly admiring the Communist Chinese Government and they way they deal with their citizens.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 26th, 2019, 1:22 pm

jt's boys doing there best to let her walk https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#247746
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » Jan 26th, 2019, 4:03 pm

China is the 1 remaining power house communist country, there are few minor countries. Along with a want to be power house in north Korea ran by complete wacko.

The west is making China into very wealthy country, they can get away with pretty well anything.
Chairman Mao would be very pleased.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8292 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby bernie428 » Jan 26th, 2019, 7:08 pm

As disgusting as that issue is, I don't think this issue has anything to do with the liberal government.

Huawei would have made a deal with CBC and HNIC for commercial spots, as companies. No different than buying ad spots for any TV show or channel.

If the deal is to air "X" amount of commercials during "X" shows and months, you can't really get around that (unless as I said, there are exist clauses). Huawei could sue for breach of contract if the ads were pulled.

That said... I still find it disturbing and gross, morally.[/quote]

Legally, they probably can't turn them away.
Also, if anyone needs to go Liberal/Conservative, the requirement that they not need public funding dictates they suck up as much advertising as possible.
Agreed, personally I will never ever buy any of their *bleep*, no matter what the rules or ads say.
bernie428
Fledgling

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 27th, 2019, 11:04 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#247789 your move jt, your playing with the big boys now, time to grow some
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Jan 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm

ninetyninepct wrote:Canada is following an international agreement. Ir has nothing to do with Trudeau or Trump. Trump just happens to be the President and Trudeau is Trudeau. He put himself in a hard spot by openly admiring the Communist Chinese Government and they way they deal with their citizens.

Well, it kinda actually does have something to do with Trudeau. Yes, he is following an international agreement, but he can also ignore that agreement (not saying he should or not) and start changing a few things around when it comes to our neighbours to the south. Trump had agreements with us (i.e.: NAFTA) and didn't have any second thoughts changing those.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1832 posts

Postby floppi » Jan 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Looks like JT did the right thing in honoring the extradition treaty with the US.....now after she's extradited, they can take over.

US unveils its criminal case against Huawei, alleging China giant stole trade secrets and violated Iran sanctions

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/business ... index.html
floppi
Übergod

Liked in: 641 posts

Postby Veovis » Jan 28th, 2019, 8:51 pm

floppi wrote:Looks like JT did the right thing in honoring the extradition treaty with the US.....now after she's extradited, they can take over.

US unveils its criminal case against Huawei, alleging China giant stole trade secrets and violated Iran sanctions

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/business ... index.html

Now given all the hoopla this was always going to be happening I'm sure, but at least it is moving forward and hopefully it can become a US China issue and we can stop being the kid between the fighting parents

Queen K likes this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4456 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 29th, 2019, 9:06 pm

^^ Yep, as John Ivison said, Canada are not "policy makers" regarding Meng and Huawei, we are "policy takers".

There is, of course, no proven reason to ban Huawei from our potential 5G network, and no reason to rush to a conclusion. The EU has not yet decided either, and more information is needed: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-28/deutsche-telekom-is-said-to-warn-huawei-ban-would-hurt-europe-5g
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10357 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada