Save Oshawa GM.

Save Oshawa GM.

Postby Ken7 » Dec 19th, 2018, 1:14 pm

https://www.saveoshawagm.ca/support

I came across this on a social media site. Want your thoughts on should one sign a petition to save, why would you feel that way.

My thoughts are, it is business. Sadly in the past the Canadian Government has jumped to the plate and spent Tax payers money to save private enterprise.

I grew up in a small family business, I feel for those who work at GM. However, it is business and not up to the Government to become involved. sometime Unions can force owners to take action and move out.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3072 posts

Re: Save Oshawa GM.

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 19th, 2018, 1:27 pm

All I can add is a quote of Ronald Reagans.

I've used it many times myself over the years.

It applies equally to Canada as is does the US

"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem. ... Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them. Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it. ... The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much." ~ Ronald Reagan
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

3 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3682 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 19th, 2018, 1:32 pm

I don't like seeing the lost jobs but I also don't agree with giving large companies so many tax breaks/loans etc without some guaranty to get it back. If they can't make a go of it then too bad so sad!
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12419 posts

Postby seewood » Dec 19th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Governments mandate, one of them anyway, is to provide an environment for business to operate and compete in the business world. Period.
Subsidize them should not be part of the solution to survive. However so many jurisdictions in the world do subsidize business's other countries will follow suit.

Saw an interview on 60 minutes I think it was, and Elon Musk has not ruled out purchasing some of the shuttered plants to build his electric cars. One of his assembly lines in California was operating under one of those huge tents/ temp structures..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
√úbergod

Liked in: 1512 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Dec 19th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Only IF the return is correct long term i think it's what has to happen to keep people employed which has more positive effects than simply having a job.
Not a fan of it all though.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2267 posts

Return to Canada