Forced Relocation of Inuit: a Dark Stain on Canada

Forced Relocation of Inuit: a Dark Stain on Canada

Postby Glacier » Dec 20th, 2018, 11:10 am

In the 1950s the Canadian government was in a fight with Greenland/Denmark over Arctic sovereignty. As a way of exerting Canadian sovereignty, the government of the day tricked some Inuit in Quebec into relocating to Grise Fjord and Resolute Bay - two spots so desolate and cold that even the Inuit didn't live this far north.

They were told that they only had to stay for one year, but "ha ha", the joke was on them because the government wouldn't move them back after the year was up. They were trapped in an area so isolated no one could leave.

I'm surprised Trudeau hasn't apologized for this (and he should in my opinion). If he can apologize to terrorist who now wants to go to Saudi Arabia with his 10 million bucks to do who-knows-what, then surely the Inuit could get one too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/fo ... -1.4182600
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 20th, 2018, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

featfan likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12002 posts

Re: Forced Relocation of Inuit: a Dark Stain on Canada

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 20th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I agreed with you right up to the hyperbolic false equivalence in the last sentence.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Glacier likes this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4653 posts

Postby Jlabute » Dec 20th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Looks like a welcoming place for tourists. I wouldn't mind going myself. ;-) If you guys pay my ticket, I will go! Plus I'll take pictures and stream live community events for you. :-)

https://www.nunavuttourism.com/regions-of-nunavut/communities/grise-fiord/

They received an apology already, right?
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1642 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 20th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Jlabute wrote:Looks like a welcoming place for tourists. I wouldn't mind going myself. ;-) If you guys pay my ticket, I will go! Plus I'll take pictures and stream live community events for you. :-)

https://www.nunavuttourism.com/regions-of-nunavut/communities/grise-fiord/

They received an apology already, right?

The Little Ice Age musta done them in...

The area of Craig Harbour and Lindstrom Peninsula, just west of Grise Fiord, is dotted with archaeological sites, the remains of houses, tent rings, fox traps and graves, some of which date back over 4,000 years. The local Inuit abandoned this region sometime before 1700 AD.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

Jlabute likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12002 posts

Postby d0nb » Dec 20th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Glacier wrote:They were told that they only had to stay for one year, but "ha ha", the joke was on them because the government wouldn't move them back after the year was up. They were trapped in an area so isolated no one could leave.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. – Ronald Reagan

Each person should each be offered a generous lifetime pension and free transportation to the destination of his/her choice.
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” ― G.K. Chesterton April 19, 1924
d0nb
Übergod

Liked in: 1103 posts

Postby d0nb » Dec 20th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Glacier wrote:The Little Ice Age musta done them in...

The area of Craig Harbour and Lindstrom Peninsula, just west of Grise Fiord, is dotted with archaeological sites, the remains of houses, tent rings, fox traps and graves, some of which date back over 4,000 years. The local Inuit abandoned this region sometime before 1700 AD.

They are hellish now, but those places weren’t that cold during the Holocene Climate Optimum a few thousand years ago. The temps were a few degrees warmer and Arctic Ocean may have been free of ice during the late summer.
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” ― G.K. Chesterton April 19, 1924
d0nb
Übergod

Liked in: 1103 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 20th, 2018, 11:43 pm

I was in agreement with you but then I even more strongly agreed with you after the last sentence, congrats on making a great point! JT is a meathead!
All evidence points to the snollygoster scown Justin Trudeau being unfit to run this country. The LIEberal platform is all foofrah. October 2019 can't come fast enough.

csm likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 21392 posts

Postby Mark5 » Dec 22nd, 2018, 7:11 pm

Glacier wrote:In the 1950s the Canadian government was in a fight with Greenland/Denmark over Arctic sovereignty. As a way of exerting Canadian sovereignty, the government of the day tricked some Inuit in Quebec into relocating to Grise Fjord and Resolute Bay - two spots so desolate and cold that even the Inuit didn't live this far north.

They were told that they only had to stay for one year, but "ha ha", the joke was on them because the government wouldn't move them back after the year was up. They were trapped in an area so isolated no one could leave.

I'm surprised Trudeau hasn't apologized for this (and he should in my opinion). If he can apologize to terrorist who now wants to go to Saudi Arabia with his 10 million bucks to do who-knows-what, then surely the Inuit could get one too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/fo ... -1.4182600

Trapped? I think not. They probably liked it there.
Mark5
Fledgling

Liked in: 316 posts

Return to Canada