Canadian federation is fractured

Canadian federation is fractured

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 22nd, 2018, 4:05 pm

Canadian federation is fractured, New Brunswick's rookie premier says

The Canadian Press
Kevin Bissett
December 21, 2018
11:21 AM EST

FREDERICTON — The rookie Tory premier of New Brunswick has declared the Canadian federation fractured — with Ottawa and other provinces seemingly unconcerned about Alberta’s slump, and Quebec actively blocking economic development.

Blaine Higgs says he was shocked at the recent First Ministers meeting in Montreal to find there is no national urgency or strategy to deal with the 70-per-cent devaluation of oil in Alberta.

“Here’s a province that has fed many of our kids for years and we’ve all been happy to be recipients of that transfer payment. I’m not proud of that fact, and I would like to develop the very industry that they have,” Higgs said in a year-end interview with The Canadian Press.

“But for us in that meeting, not to have that as the focal point a crisis in our country, as a serious impact on Alberta and potentially a serious impact on all of us, like it was just another day.”

Higgs is pushing to revive the cancelled $15.7 billion Energy East pipeline project that would have moved western crude to refineries in Eastern Canada and an export terminal in Saint John, N.B., but Quebec Premier Francois Legault is opposed to it passing through his province.

Legault recently provoked the ire of western Canadians when he said there was “no social acceptability” in his province for a “dirty energy” pipeline from Alberta.

snip

“Here’s Premier Legault getting an increase, a cheque of more than $13 billion out of the $19 billion in transfer payments, and no real sense of urgency,” Higgs said.

He said that as a result of devalued oil, Alberta is losing $80 million a day, and all the provinces — including New Brunswick — should share in the pain through cuts in transfers.

“We should cut what goes to each province, based on our ability to get the resource to market,” he said.

Higgs said the debate over Energy East demonstrates how the federation is fractured.

“So with Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario and ourselves — we are very much aligned — and Quebec in the middle in this case for transportation from west to east is not only disappointing, it’s really shocking,” he said. “I saw a willingness through every province but I didn’t see that willingness in Quebec.”

Higgs said there should be a utility corridor across the country that could house pipelines, power transmission lines, and communication systems. He said, like the national railway, it would be a right-of-way through the country.

Higgs said another area where the federation is fractured is with the way provinces are being treated differently by Ottawa when it comes to the carbon tax, which goes into effect next year. He said it is far from a level playing field, because the provinces are being asked to meet the same targets despite starting from different carbon-emission levels.

New Brunswick is an intervener in legal challenges launched by Saskatchewan and Ontario and has launched its own legal challenge of the carbon tax.

He said the proposed federal backstop — the tax Ottawa will impose in provinces without their own carbon taxes — puts New Brunswick at a disadvantage, and if it remains in place, New Brunswickers will be paying the country’s highest tax on gasoline by 2022.

snip

Higgs said he needs to administer some tough fiscal medicine right away in order to get quick results. He points to his decision to slash $265 million from capital spending plans the previous Liberal government had in place.

“I do want to make things happen in a hurry, but that’s kind of my nature. I like to look at an issue, look at the facts, and then get on with it, and not spend time going around and around.”

He is vowing to balance the budget in the spring in an effort to avoid a downgrade of the province’s credit rating.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/c ... emier-says
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

5 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4535 posts

Re: Canadian federation is fractured

Postby Catsumi » Dec 22nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

Wish we could lure Higgs to the West. He is making all the right sounds that a good political leader should.
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

2 people like this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3712 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 22nd, 2018, 6:12 pm

Naw, I don't want any negative Nelly politicians over here.

He can stay over there. :up:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14154 posts

Postby Jlabute » Dec 22nd, 2018, 6:43 pm

Quebec is very needy and best friends of the supreme frenchie. Maybe the east should put all those lefties to work, then we can double cut equalization payments. Justin, Canada is not owned by Quebec.

Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1430 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 22nd, 2018, 6:53 pm

Higgs has impressed so far. Seems to be very much a "red tory" in outlook as the old Progressive Conservative party was.

I could vote for a guy and a party with that kind of outlook... too bad there is only one party left, the Liberals, on the federal scene that approach the old unifying impulses of the "red tories".

MUCH rather have him than the dud with sticky fingers we have in Victoria.

Provincial "nationalism" is a problem. Horgan has made that worse, and so have recent Quebec governments. But no province has been immune from politicians playing that kind of card to troll for a few votes. They ought not to, but they do. Jason certainly is, and while I also am impatient with the pipeline situation, I recognize that there is no shortcut. Shortcuts are what got us to where we are today - no shovels in the ground, and study after consultation after study, instead of actually doing something.

I do like Higgs suggestion of the federal government organizing a context and route for a pipeline east, getting all on board, and then putting that out for bids.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10348 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:05 pm

Trudeau blames the west for everything. And he's the worst culprit when it comes to stoking divisiveness. What a phony prick!

https://www.facebook.com/kenneyjasont/v ... 596536280/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

csm likes this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4535 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:09 pm

:135: Gone_Fishin, language!

Gone_Fishin wrote:Trudeau blames the west for everything. And he's the worst culprit when it comes to stoking divisiveness. What a phony prick!

Phony pony?
Phony shiny pony?
Phony?

But I say, you are angry?

I still think this "fractured" business is overblown by some guy who needs to stay in the East.
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Catsumi » Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:10 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Higgs has impressed so far. Seems to be very much a "red tory" in outlook as the old Progressive Conservative party was.

I could vote for a guy and a party with that kind of outlook.

******.. too bad there is only one party left, the Liberals, on the federal scene that approach the old unifying impulses of the "red tories".********

HG, I am having trouble understanding the above sentence you wrote. In these days of social unrest, extreme discontent with JT and the provinces at each others' throats, how can you suggest the Libs are unifying anything except the rising tide against them?

:200:
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

sobrohusfat likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3712 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

See, that Eastern guy is an idiot, the New Brunswick guy that is. We're not fractured at all!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 23rd, 2018, 1:12 pm

Catsumi wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:Higgs has impressed so far. Seems to be very much a "red tory" in outlook as the old Progressive Conservative party was.

I could vote for a guy and a party with that kind of outlook.

******.. too bad there is only one party left, the Liberals, on the federal scene that approach the old unifying impulses of the "red tories".********

HG, I am having trouble understanding the above sentence you wrote. In these days of social unrest, extreme discontent with JT and the provinces at each others' throats, how can you suggest the Libs are unifying anything except the rising tide against them?

:200:

Face it. The peanut chuckers that attack policy positions and present none of their own positions are the problem.

Harper took the Conservative party on a divide and conquer mission. Yup, it worked for him, but if you look at it, no major things to solve issues got done. Harper also took the Conservative party to a smaller tent position of being Alberta-centric. The proposals he had that were of unifying nature - like senate reform - were never acted upon, then he moved into further divisive actions with attacks on minorities. Scheer is doing exactly the same nonsense, except with far less skill.

Jagmeet is doing the same kind of nonsense base politics. Elizabeth? - well.... not hardly worth mentioning.

The old "red tory" position was one of compassionate conservatism. Joe Clark type folks. Those kind of folks would not countenance the dog whistle games that the current Conservative "leadership" (that includes more than Scheer) are playing.

In many ways, what Canada needs is more Joe Clark type figures, NOT conniving political peanut chuckers. People who have principles and positions the stand for. People with courage. Joe staked his career on constitutional change - a big gamble - but one that was worth the effort and he was willing to suffer the consequences if it failed - which it did and became the coffin of his political career.

Do we have politicians of that moral and political honesty and courage today?

Think about it, people of vision, sometimes ahead of their times - Joe Clark wanted marijuana decriminalized way back then - and a guaranteed minimum wage for everyone! Yup, women included (his wife never changed her name to Clark).

The current crop of poll readers mostly spend their time staking out little sections of the electorate - shrewd maneuvering small minded folks following the divide and conquer template who flit from position to position at the change of a poll. Never mind what is best for the country, just what is best for them personally.

Canada, as a federation is not fractured any more than it always has been. In fact, probably less so, as we see ideas from Quebec adopted elsewhere, ideas from Alberta adopted elsewhere, ideas from New Brunswick now coming onto the national stage. We are all Canadians.

The fracturing remains a political construction of the shrewd divider politicians who exploit minor grumbles and magnify them for personal gain.

Think about it. IF Harper had more compassion and more unifying instincts, would he have ginned up the niqab nonsense? Would he have been able to make marijuana decriminalization a position - as Joe Clark did - instead of allowing JT to be more in touch with the desires of the country? IF so, Harper could easily still be prime minister.

But no. Harper has turned the Conservative party into a cold and nasty party, rejecting compassionate conservatism, and turning the Conservative party into something cold and calculating - and out of touch with the hearts of Canadians. Unfortunately Scheer is of the same mold, but just not as good at it.

While I do not agree with all of JT's positions, which is normal (I did not agree with all of Joe Clark's positions), there is a sense that he has "heart", compassion, and at least some vision. Higgs has impressed with some of the same so far, and a willingness in the "red tory" tradition to put country and ideals ahead of personal fortunes.

I do NOT see those qualities in Scheer - what I see is the calculator, the divider, the political "points game" player. Scheer has no vision, no heart, and expresses no real compassion. He could only have risen to "leadership" in the context of a Conservative party that has become cold, nasty, and calculating - without any underlying vision, scruples or direction. How can a once proud party reduced to nastiness and calculation be good for Canadians? It isn't. But at least Higgs gives hope for conservatism down the road.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10348 posts

Return to Canada