2019 an election year

2019 an election year

Postby Ka-El » Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm

With less than ten months to go before our next federal election I thought to start a thread to discuss the issues people here think should we should be most concerned with over the next four years. Who would you trust most to lead as our next PM and why? What about Bernier? Are Canadians ready and open to that kind of change? Thoughts?

Justin Trudeau and Andrew Scheer owe us the best choice in October

Pro tip for Liberal strategists in the walk-up to October’s federal election: keep your man close to home.

Do not, to be more precise, let Justin Trudeau roam the world any more than absolutely necessary.

The Liberals have just turned the page on the most challenging year of their mandate — a year that saw Canada buffeted by threats not of its own making.

Overall, they did a solid job. They (or, more specifically, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland) managed to salvage a respectable deal in the face of Donald Trump’s threat to tear up the framework for North American trade. They stood up to the Conservative-orchestrated backlash against action on climate change. They brought in an important reform of Canada’s outmoded cannabis laws and stuck their necks out by outright buying the stalled Trans Mountain pipeline (even if that gets them no love in Alberta).

At the same time, Trudeau put his own worst qualities on full display in his now-notorious tour of India, the one punctuated by more costume changes than a Vegas show.

<snip>

Which brings us to our pro tip for Conservative strategists: don’t succumb to the lure of populism.

It didn’t work out well for Harper when he tried to play that card on immigration near the end of the 2015 campaign. And we have enough confidence in Canadian voters to believe it won’t work for Scheer if he tries to go that route in the coming campaign.

There are already worrisome signs that the Conservatives are tempted. They’ve been running a pointless and inflammatory campaign against the United Nations’ “global compact” on migration, an inoffensive document that calls on nations to cooperate to deal with the world-wide movement of displaced people. In their version of events, that means shadowy “foreign entities” will be dictating Canada’s immigration policy.

Polls show immigration is the issue that resonates most with core Conservative voters, and of course the party faces a challenge from the right on this and other issues in the form of Maxime Bernier’s right-wing splinter movement.

So it’s perfectly understandable why Scheer & Co. are tempted to blow the anti-immigrant dog whistle. But that would be bad for the country, and almost certainly doom the Conservatives to remaining in opposition.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/ ... &ocid=iehp
"I don't know who Obama is. I don't know who dimples is. I don't know what this means"

Omnitheo likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5868 posts

Re: 2019 an election year

Postby liisgo » Jan 3rd, 2019, 3:13 pm

There is no one in the running that I would trust or vote for.
Our ideology of a society and system is going to do nothing but screw things up for "all" of us in the long run.
We are so busy trying to accommodate everyone's different individuality that eventually we will not be a country of unified citizens but a bunch of broken groups all wanting different treatment, funding, attention, laws, rules etc. We will end up hating each others special treatments and privilege. Like whats happening in most countries in the world now.
So my 2 cents is, we are going to keep screwing things up and the only difference of who you vote for is how much faster we get there.

Merry likes this post.
liisgo
Fledgling

Liked in: 178 posts

Postby DAMACO » Jan 3rd, 2019, 6:26 pm

liisgo wrote:There is no one in the running that I would trust or vote for.
Our ideology of a society and system is going to do nothing but screw things up for "all" of us in the long run.
We are so busy trying to accommodate everyone's different individuality that eventually we will not be a country of unified citizens but a bunch of broken groups all wanting different treatment, funding, attention, laws, rules etc. We will end up hating each others special treatments and privilege. Like whats happening in most countries in the world now.
So my 2 cents is, we are going to keep screwing things up and the only difference of who you vote for is how much faster we get there.

That's why I'm not voting anymore.
DAMACO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ferri » Jan 4th, 2019, 10:11 am

*Stay on topic please! Thanks!
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 9768 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 4th, 2019, 10:19 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 4th, 2019, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2088 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 4th, 2019, 10:32 am

Previously in politics, when a party did something unsavoury, IE the many scandals under Harper, the continual proroguements, it was accepted as "that's just politics". The government of the day just went on doing the same status quo without taking accountability for their actions. Since the liberals were elected, politics has become a lot more polarized. There has been constant peanut chucking over small change issues, but the current government has actioned upon them. When called out for doing things that would have been commonplace under previous governments, the liberals agreed it wasn't appropriate, and changed the laws so that no party could abuse such practices.

Listening to a recent interview with Trudeau, and reflections on things such as the India trip, and being unapologetic about calling out the divisive practices of other political figures, I saw how the PM has grown in the role, and stayed true to his morals and commitment to Canadians. He has shown great flexibility to change for the better, without weakly giving in to the rhetoric and hyperbole of the opposition.

This election, I believe I will be supporting the Liberals
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

kevingerry78 likes this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4361 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jan 4th, 2019, 10:40 am

There has been no shortage of scandalous behaviour under the reign of stupidity by JT. Just refer back in these threads and read them, although I know you won't.

Canadians are enraged by this pith-poor gov't, crying out for anyone other than JT again. But keep on cheerleading for him as the taste of a crow dinner seems to suit you.
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

5 people like this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3661 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 4th, 2019, 11:37 am

Omnitheo wrote: Since the liberals were elected, politics has become a lot more polarized. There has been constant peanut chucking over small change issues, but the current government has actioned upon them.

Yes, here is our illustrious leader, shirking the Opposition 18 times in the House on the question of his ethics breaches. 18 FREAKING TIMES he refuses to answer the question. This is really "actioning upon issues" all right. Just a complete joke.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/940825155527/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.4108903

This election, I believe I will be supporting the Liberals

and if you expect so little of a party, they deserve your support.
If you see someone using the term "Dimples", chances are you are dealing with a Liberal moron.

6 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 19403 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 4th, 2019, 12:56 pm

^^ actually, the current government has pretty consistent and has advanced balanced policy. No government can keep everybody happy all the time. The fact that this one has annoyed the heck out of the ARNF and the far left at the same time is a good sign of balance.

I get a kick out the right wing attacks on JT, that have everything to do with a somewhat eccentric personality and nothing to do with actual policy. Nope, i personally don't have the love of flamboyant costumes that JT has, but does that matter so very much? The stuffed shirts on the right need to lighten up and embrace a little fun, and accept that many folks, myself included, have eccentricities. How boring and grim is a stuffed shirt Scheer world??

Rather one needs to look at policy, and the impacts on people. A lot of folk are much better off under this government. It ain't perfect, but one heck of a lot better than the Conservative bungle decade that preceded this government. Diversity and balance is a key theme of the current government. Isn't that reflective of Canada and more in tune with what we need? Economic diversity. Cultural diversity. In diversity and balance lies resilience and strength.

Can't think of any political party that lines up 100% with what I personally think. That's probably the case for 90% of Canadians. It comes down to "I like 80% and dislike 20%, or I like 40% and dislike 60%" (or whatever each of us thinks of each party). The hollow criticisms of "points in the game" thrown out there don't have a lot of impact, it is the policies, the overall competence of governance that matters (both are needed, good policy without the expertise to implement it doesn't work, nor can bad policy be made better by expertise in implementation).

On balance, and faced with some "interesting" challenges (thanks to T.Rump) this government has done well. Yup, a hiccup here and there, but on balance pretty darn good.

That presents the Conservatives with a problem, and one they will have difficulty with. The economy is pretty decent, poverty is down (but not out), we are making progress on environmental issues (not fast enough for some, but we are making significant real progress), there are things in place now that give cause for some optimism for the future (trade agreements with all G7 members ++ - CPTPP and CETA plus maybe NAFTA 2.0 [reverting to 1.0 if it it doesn't get ratified]).

We can expect then that the Conservatives will turn "nasty" - following the "Harper nasty" attack dog strategy. It will do nothing constructive for our political discourse, but we can expect that from the Conservatives as they have little else at the present time.

Assuming that Jagmeet wins in Burnaby - the NDP will tick up a bit. However, if Jagmeet has to double down on the deeply flawed LEAP ideology to win Burnaby - the NDP have a problem. The LEAP ideology is directly at odds with "the working people's" NDP. Methinks that schizophrenia within the NDP (which they got away with in BC) will not play well nationally, and the NDP will go nowhere until they can solve that LEAP problem. I don't see that happening as the bulk of the NDP MPs who are not running or who already bailed are not in the LEAP camp, and Nathan Cullen and Avi Lewis aren't going anywhere. Politically, that could have the NDP trending downward toward the irrelevancy of the Green* party federally.

The wildcard in the picture is Max Bernier, and I find it refreshing. I personally don't care for some of the PPC policy positions, but some are interesting and worth discussing as they cut across party lines. In fact, one or two of the policy positions even generally line up with the Liberals. The PPC represents a different set of balances, and they are sure to find a constituency if the PPC can pull off the mammoth task of building a new federal party quickly. So far they seem to be on track.

If Max and the PPC can make the campaign turn more toward policy discussion, and away from the "Harper nasty" Conservative approach, then the PPC have a shot at becoming a truly relevant party.

We ALL win if the campaign direction is about policy and policy discussion, not silly pols throwing mud. Most folks want things to vote FOR, and more people will vote if there are clearly defined things to vote FOR, and it does not degenerate into into schoolyard mud slinging and trash talking.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.

Omnitheo likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10339 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 4th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Previously in politics, when a party did something unsavoury, IE the many scandals under Harper, the continual proroguements, it was accepted as "that's just politics".

No different than any other political party vs political party scenario.

Just like all of the current Government supporters, whenever some questionable conduct comes up in regards to the current Government, the posts from the JT supporters are exactly as you describe "thats just politics".

Provincial politics are the same thing, a couple of prevalent NDP supporters on these boards are quick to lay fire to the previous BC Government but will defend the current Governments actions by deflecting blame to the previous Government.

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1792 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 4th, 2019, 2:44 pm

hobbyguy wrote:^^ actually, the current government has pretty consistent and has advanced balanced policy. No government can keep everybody happy all the time. The fact that this one has annoyed the heck out of the ARNF and the far left at the same time is a good sign of balance.

It's not about "balance" though. Just because the peanut-chucking ALNC's here love Justin so much, no matter what, doesn't mean anything. The great pretender JT is falling in the polls, and hopefully will keep falling, as it's obvious to anyone but the most staunch Liberal-loving peanut chucker that this party is too arrogant, and has grown far too detached from the populace, to make decent policy.

I see that climate Einstein and vocal fry master Catherine McKenna is in Kelowna next week for a Chamber lunch. Is anyone going? Is she going to answer direct questions, or just chuck peanuts like she did in this interview with Catherine Murray on BNN back in December?

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/hopin ... er~1558280
If you see someone using the term "Dimples", chances are you are dealing with a Liberal moron.

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Pete Podoski » Jan 4th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Climate Einstein has no time for people who disagree with the bull she's barfing out.

I doubt she will get a warm and fuzzy reception from the Chamber of Commerce. After all, these are people who actually know how business works, not a bunch of brain-dead peanut chuckers that swoon over Hair an' Socks and his completely anti-business policies.

2 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Board Meister

Liked in: 1139 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 4th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Pete Podoski wrote:Climate Einstein has no time for people who disagree with the bull she's barfing out.

I doubt she will get a warm and fuzzy reception from the Chamber of Commerce. After all, these are people who actually know how business works, not a bunch of brain-dead peanut chuckers that swoon over Hair an' Socks and his completely anti-business policies.

I was wrong, it's actually a breakfast. So they'll be barfing up their eggs instead of rubber chicken at lunch. I do expect a contingent of local ALNC's from Castanet to be in attendance to cheer on the stupidity and chuck peanuts at whoever asks her any hard questions.

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Pete Podoski » Jan 4th, 2019, 4:20 pm

A hard question such as "How much will your $50/tonne carbon tax reduce emissions?"

2 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Board Meister

Liked in: 1139 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Pete Podoski wrote:A hard question such as "How much will your $50/tonne carbon tax reduce emissions?"

I liked how Catherine Murray stunned her when she asked Vocal Fry about how much does Canada account for globally, and she was stuttering around and finally came up with the nonsensical comment about how Canada is the "biggest per capita emitter". Good grief. So it just proves my point. These shysters want us to bankrupt ourselves, for no real benefit to anyone, especially ourselves. Just pathetic. We can't throw the Liberals out fast enough.

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Next

Return to Canada