2019 an election year

Re: 2019 an election year

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:Trudeau is paid to answer questions of everyone, even those that you peanut chuckers want to see dead.

I don't remember Harper even doing townhall meetings let alone answer any questions. He governed by "my way or the highway" approach so it's kinda interesting that you're holding JT to a higher standard.
Last edited by floppi on Jan 13th, 2019, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnitheo likes this post.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1002 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 13th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:Justin Trudeau’s speech empties out a small gym in Saskatoon

The prime minister participated in a town hall at the Saskatchewan Polytechnic’s Saskatoon Campus, but interestingly enough it seems he could not keep the attention of the room.

What started out as a fairly full room rapidly descended into a sad half full gymnasium.

https://thenectarine.ca/politics/justin ... saskatoon/

people are waking to the fact that jt is just a leftwiner g oo f nothing more nothing less,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7499 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 13th, 2019, 2:01 pm

I feel like there's a few Eric the Midget's here, hard to take anything here seriously .
Cons have no idea how to act when a leader holds a townhall cause Harper rarely made public appearances unless it was for a blue crowd.

Omnitheo likes this post.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2284 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 13th, 2019, 2:29 pm

jimmy4321 wrote:Harper

Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

2 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Liked in: 5234 posts

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I'm afraid Harper like Trump will have destroyed the conservatives for decades. Most peeps not in their base won't forget the scandals and the corruptions that plagued their reign.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm

You can’t just pick and choose what standards you expect politicians to be held to. If you stood idly by during Harper’s abuse of power, and ignored and discussion about it or acted apologetically over it, you can’t suddenly turn around and expect Trudeau to meet some higher standard you’ve now decided he needs to uphold.

It’s important to place things in context, and every time someone mentions Harper, and you try to deflect from it, it’s apparent that you don’t want anyone looking at things in context lest it showcase the hypocrisy.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4739 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 13th, 2019, 3:05 pm

oldtrucker wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:Lots of numbers you’re polling out of nowhere with zero facts or evidence to back up anything you’re saying,

There are a few vids like this out there. SJW Liberal BS. Sure... lets add a few more billion, they will quit reproducing. :smt045

No doubt made by people that have something to gain. Maybe they are in new construction home sales and they want the housing crisis to get worse to make $$$. Maybe even made by people that have family and or friends they want to get out of some overpopulated dive.

You say my numbers are made up. I don't care how you calculate it, by the day ,month or year. Let's go by the day if you like.
200,000 added every day. Besides, if the video is correct that population will soon peak...then everyone should have no problem staying where they are because the growth rate will soon level out...right?

That’s paranoia when you see “SHW liberal BS” wherever you look. Just because scientific observations do not match your political or personal beliefs does not make them “SJW” or “Liberal” or “BS”

You make some weird assumptions about the makers of the video. You know they make other videos right? Their only agenda is to provide education. Perhaps you should take a cue from them, and cite actual information when asserting claims rather than unsubstantiated assumptions? You might learn a thing or two. Or at least look like you know what you’re talking about.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 13th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Omnitheo...please point out where my numbers are wrong.

Edit: In this case Omnitheo you are correct.
I , oldtrucker will man-up, and I retract my inappropriate 'SJW Liberal BS' comment.
Now...where are my numbers wrong on global population?
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1220 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 13th, 2019, 3:48 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Sustain the economy by adding more and more people... okay.
Global population needs to drop well below the pre 1950 population of 2 billion to have any hope of sustainability.
Global population growth so out of control
that I bet that if there are aliens visiting us, it's not to make friends with the 'ultra smart' homo sapiens, it would be to witness the once in 100 million year extinction event that started about 74 years ago.
JT is going to add 1 million more immigrants over 3 years. At a global population growth rate of 78 million per year times 3 years is 234 million more added to the planet, at least it's 233 million that wont be coming here.
Immigration is pointless and destructive to Canada with these stupid numbers.
JT will save his millennial voter friends from losing their shirts in the housing market by enabling and perpetuating the housing crisis even though interest rates will rise. JT will use immigration as the economic driver instead of using Canadian tar sands bitumen that wont sell.

1: based on what? Information? Most scientists predict a number around 10 billion to be the level we can sustain. https://www.livescience.com/16493-peopl ... pport.html

https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/4430 ... canada.jpg
2: this one is close actually, though numbers are even higher than you mention. Looking at the trend though, you can see projections having that number shrink over time. http://www.worldometers.info/world-popu ... ojections/

3: you need to take these in context though. These numbers aren’t that much higher than what we’ve been doing already for years. It’s about a 12% increase over the average under Harper. And even still the numbers had been trending upwards then too. They’ve had to in order to keep up with our economic demands.
https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/4430 ... canada.jpg
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 13th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Harper

Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

Merry likes this post.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Liked in: 5234 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 13th, 2019, 4:13 pm

My best friend happens to be a prof of biology at a Canadian university. Him and I have been on many fossil hunting trips (he also does paleo-biology, archaeology, and a few others) and we have had years of conversations of where our planet has been and where it is going. Obviously I can't say his name on here but he is the smartest man I will ever know and I have heard his opinion on what the maximum planetary capacity is. According to him, we are already at 5-6 times capacity at present western consumption rates. We both agree that a population growth slowdown is wishful thinking.
We also both agree that one way or another, humans will be the cause of a extinction event on the same scale as the big 5.
This is extinction event number 6. I would rather prolong the inevitable as long as possible in Canada.
We may have different ideologies omnitheo. If it means anything to you, I have read your posts and I do respect your supporting evidence and intelligence.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:08 pm

oldtrucker wrote:My best friend happens to be a prof of biology at a Canadian university. Him and I have been on many fossil hunting trips (he also does paleo-biology, archaeology, and a few others) and we have had years of conversations of where our planet has been and where it is going. Obviously I can't say his name on here but he is the smartest man I will ever know and I have heard his opinion on what the maximum planetary capacity is. According to him, we are already at 5-6 times capacity at present western consumption rates. We both agree that a population growth slowdown is wishful thinking.
We also both agree that one way or another, humans will be the cause of a extinction event on the same scale as the big 5.
This is extinction event number 6. I would rather prolong the inevitable as long as possible in Canada.
We may have different ideologies omnitheo. If it means anything to you, I have read your posts and I do respect your supporting evidence and intelligence.

A little short of 10 billion is the present accepted planetary capacity of Earth based on food sources. After that point the J curve of population dynamics shifts to a S curve....is how the theory goes. But that has nothing to do with why we need immigration to sustain our economy. We need it so we don't go the way of Japan in that the entire economy shrinks and everyone suffer economically and socially. Think our taxes are high now? It will be much worse without immigration. Think we don't have enough medical care, or old age pensions, or any other societal programs, it will be much much worse without immigration. Here start with thses:

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/press/ne ... eSupport=1

https://www.tvo.org/article/current-aff ... population

https://globalnews.ca/news/3782202/4500 ... et-canada/
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:31 pm

We could feed over 10 billion if we did it properly with a combined global effort...but why would we?
Even at 7.8 billion, imagine all having a car, a house, western world living standard...probably wouldn't be a single tree left standing on the planet.
Even if it meant our economy ...I would rather hit the brakes now,than hit the wall later at full speed.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:36 pm

oldtrucker wrote:We could feed over 10 billion if we did it properly with a combined global effort...but why would we?
Even at 7.8 billion, imagine all having a car, a house, western world living standard...probably wouldn't be a single tree left standing on the planet.
Even if it meant our economy ...I would rather hit the brakes now,than hit the wall later at full speed.

Think about it, we have one of the largest land masses on the planet with 37 million peeps. It's not even a speck of an issue, however if we don't replace our aging workforce to support our seniors and social programs without being more taxed than we are NOW we will go the way of Japan and their problems.
Last edited by floppi on Jan 13th, 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Merry » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:42 pm

hobbyguy wrote:
Merry wrote:I watched that exchange and, right wing plant or not, that young lady deserved an answer to her very respectfully worded question.

Politicians of ALL stripes these days regularly deflect difficult questions in exactly the same way that Trudeau did to that young lady, and it's wrong. We the people, those who pay the bills and whose interest politicians are supposed to be looking out for, deserve honest and complete answers to our questions; even when those questions are difficult ones.

Nope. Alt-right plants playing dog whistle games deserve to be ignored. Doesn't matter if is a Liberal, a Conservative, a PPC, an NDP, a Libertarian or whatever politician, such nonsense should simply be ignored.

Why on earth you'd think that a young lady asking Trudeau to explain what he meant when he made those derogatory comments about construction workers, is simply some sort of "alt right" plant absolutely defeats me.

But even if she were (which I doubt) even those with "alt right" views deserve an answer to a perfectly legitimate and respectfully worded question.

During that same town hall meeting, Trudeau himself made the point that it is preferable to listen to and address people's concerns, rather than simply trying to silence them (and allowing their fears to grow and fester). Pity he didn't follow his own advice when dealing with that young lady's question.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 7433 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada