2019 an election year

Re: 2019 an election year

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I've been listening to politicians for years and as far as I know they are under no obligations to answer anything.......and when they do its usually poli-speak. So why would JT be held to a higher standard than all the politicians before him. I'm thinking he's grown into his job :biggrin: .
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 993 posts

Postby Merry » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:53 pm

floppi wrote:I've been listening to politicians for years and as far as I know they are under no obligations to answer anything.......and when they do its usually poli-speak. So why would JT be held to a higher standard than all the politicians before him. I'm thinking he's grown into his job :biggrin: .

If you re-read my comments in an earlier post, I made the point that ALL politicians are too fond of using the same tactic Trudeau used. And that they are ALL wrong when they do it.

People who ask legitimate questions, in a respectful manner, deserve an answer from their duly elected representatives. Because those who foot the bills (us) deserve to be treated with respect by those who are supposed to be "serving" us.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 7341 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Japan is a small, overpopulated nightmare. People everywhere and nowhere to go. Comparing Canada to Japan....same planet ,different world.
Canada could still get by no problem if we went the other way and deported 1 million in the next 3 years.
Filling Canada up with people that bred themselves off of their homeland is not a answer to anything.
We are not going to agree in this thread as other threads on the topic of population and immigration.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1208 posts

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:05 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Japan is a small, overpopulated nightmare. People everywhere and nowhere to go. Comparing Canada to Japan....same planet ,different world.
Canada could still get by no problem if we went the other way and deported 1 million in the next 3 years.
Filling Canada up with people that bred themselves off of their homeland is not a answer to anything.
We are not going to agree in this thread as other threads on the topic of population and immigration.

Landmass and overcrowding isn't the issue in this case, it's not enough NEW workers to sustain the old and social programs. You didn't bother to read the Conferenceboard of Canada link, did you or you would be aware of the looming problems we face.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Wishful think is all I got to say to that. :D
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:17 pm

floppi wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Japan is a small, overpopulated nightmare. People everywhere and nowhere to go. Comparing Canada to Japan....same planet ,different world.

Landmass and overcrowding isn't the issue in this case, it's not enough NEW workers to sustain the old and social programs. You didn't bother to read the Conferenceboard of Canada link, did you or you would be aware of the looming problems we face.

Ya I did, and while reading it I thought that if we shut it down now, Canadians wages might actually rise from the artifically low spot that large amounts of immigration have put it. If we shut it down now, maybe Canadians will be able to afford to buy a house and not compete with hoards of people in a artifically elevated housing market.
We can keep going in circles here if you like,but I would rather not.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby floppi » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:19 pm

See the reply above.
floppi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Merry » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:40 pm

For what it's worth I too am of the camp that Canada needs immigrants in order to replace our existing population. No argument there. And I also believe we have the resources to take in a limited number of refugees and asylum seekers, provided it's done in an orderly fashion in order to ensure we don't mistake queue jumpers for genuine asylum seekers.

There's been a lot of discussion about how Trudueau's infamous and poorly thought out tweet led to an increase in illegals crossing our borders, but less talk about how this Liberal Government's inaction on the file has done nothing to help solve the problem.

This article discusses in length various solutions open to the Liberals, if only they had the political will to enact some of them (which they apparently don't).

The article makes the point that
The government’s room to manoeuvre is limited. But it is also true that the Liberals have not shown the will to reinforce the integrity of the refugee system

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/john- ... 80107c2d73
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Postby Merry » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Another reason I won't vote Liberal in the upcoming election, is the heavy handed law that's supposed to deal with drunk drivers, but ends up giving police far too much discretion regarding who, when and where to stop and demand a breath sample from somebody. Constitutional rights be damned, you'd better be willing to breathe into their machine, or you'll be automatically declared guilty and subject to very heavy penalties.

Is it right that some over zealous cop can demand a breath sample just because you returned a large number of bottles to the liquor store? If you're anything like me I tend to let my empties build up in the garage until I have a lot of them and then return them all at once. Does this new law mean I'm likely to get stopped and breathalyzed the next time I do that? I hope not, but that's exactly what happened to the guy described in the article. Does the police doing that somehow make our roads safer? I doubt it.

Is it right that I could get into an argument with somebody over a parking spot at the mall, and that person could then out of pure spite make a note of my license plate, and call the police to say they think I'm impaired, and that based on that one call the police could then show up at my house within the next 2 hours and demand I blow into a breathalyzer? Even worse, if I happened to have a couple of drinks AFTER I arrived home and failed that breathalyzer test, the onus would then be on me to prove I wasn't over the limit when I was driving, as opposed to being on the police to prove that I was over the limit.

This trampling on peoples' constitutional rights, in the name of "the end justifies the means" is the start of a slippery slope IMO, and a VERY good reason to get rid of the Liberals.

Read this article, and I think you'll agree:
https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/chris ... 41be3d8081

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Postby Catsumi » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:37 pm

The Japanese peeps are extremely wary of taking in immigrants as they know that will undermine and dilute their cultural heritage and mores.

On the other hand they are willing to accept on a temporary basis, migrant workers to keep the cost of their goods and services competitive. Cheap labour that will have a negative effect on the lower end of Japanese workers, displacement and unemployment for them.

https://qz.com/1487291/japan-is-close-t ... n-workers/

The ongoing financial cost of mistakes made by government in the past has put the peeps in Japan behind the eightball trying to make a living, raise a family and see to their old age. It is not a lack of young Japanese causing the problem but foolish government. We could learn from this.

BTW, Japan is not an overpopulated nightmare OT. When you are there all is orderly, clean, and peeps are respectful of each other and the space around them. Their vehicular traffic obeys the rules, their infrastructure is a marvel. They are not at each others' throats, no civil strife, no murders to speak of. It is the closest to heaven I have been on this earth.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jan 13th, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 5337 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:39 pm

floppi wrote:Landmass and overcrowding isn't the issue in this case, it's not enough NEW workers to sustain the old and social programs. You didn't bother to read the Conferenceboard of Canada link, did you or you would be aware of the looming problems we face.

Obviously, our social programs are more than we can afford. Time to rationalize them into the realm of sustainability.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

2 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Liked in: 5215 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 13th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Your right. To a person like me that is okay living alone in the woods...Japan is overcrowded. I feel overcrowded in Buffalo Narrows Sask. Living in Japan or some place crowded like that is my nightmare.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Jan 13th, 2019, 8:04 pm

OT, you would be at home there. Much forested land, lakes, untold miles od seashore, snow capped mountains, large farmland areas. I think you'd also enjoy the cities as they are quiet as no honking, revving, road rage, yelling or vehicles with noisy mufflers.

Anyway, save your yen and go to Japan.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Postby flamingfingers » Jan 13th, 2019, 8:15 pm

There are too many people on this overcrowded planet!! Infinite growth on finite resources show we will breed ourselves to extinction.

The Cancer Called Man.

https://www.conservationinstitute.org/5 ... solutions/
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6740 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jan 13th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Agreed FF, but some think 10 billion is the magic number.

As if there was to be less rather than more breeding then. [icon_lol2.gif] Maybe a shortage of bedroom space will slow birth rates.
Catsumi

PreviousNext

Return to Canada