Re: BC Man Detained In Syria

Postby Treblehook » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:05 am

Any thoughts on this matter of the BC man, apparently being detained in Syria. As the media has covered the story thus far, it seems his family has described him as an adventurer and world traveler. The media has also reported the fact that the our government has been warning Canadians since 2011 to avoid travel to Syria because of the danger there. It has been reported that this man's family is now complaining to the press that the government isn't doing enough [or anything] to find or to assist their son who is detained there. The whole story begs the question... what was he doing there in the first place? And should Canadian taxpayers be footing the cost for whatever action our government might take to rescue this chap who [for reasons unstated] has chosen to disregard the travel advisories. I trust the family has enough money for his flight home if the people detaining him decide to give him his freedom. If the story is as has been reported thus far, I would prefer my tax dollars weren't spent bringing him home.
Treblehook
Übergod

Liked in: 1334 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:11 am

I'm against helping people who get in crap in high risk countries either politically or weather where a warnings been issued and ignored- I don't care in the least if you're there for business or pleasure.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1958 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:42 am

Maybe he was lured to Syria when Bashar al-Assad tweeted "To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Syrians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToSyria."

On second thought, Bashar's not that stupid.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

3 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4080 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 6th, 2019, 10:54 am

Anyone who ignores all the warning of not traveling in war zone, impo is a fool.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Jlabute » Jan 7th, 2019, 6:59 am

I thought there would have been no connection between Kristian Lee Baxter and Syria, but apparently his brother-in-law was born in a Syrian village near Lebanon which is where he travelled. Still, it is a war zone. You’d never catch me going there even if it was the only place to pick up your lotto winnings.

https://johnib.wordpress.com/tag/kristian-lee-baxter/
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1313 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jan 8th, 2019, 7:06 am

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm against helping people who get in crap in high risk countries either politically or weather where a warnings been issued and ignored- I don't care in the least if you're there for business or pleasure.

I think he needs to go to their Government and seek asylum as they do, then get a hotel room, monthly payments and kick back!!

All joking aside, I can not understand what Canada has to do in this case. I find it much like one who travels to a country during their bad weather season and then want to be rescued? Get pulled out of the storm, risking the lives of many to save your sorry butt.

What do you think stay the heck out of places like this or you are on your own.

Bsuds likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2934 posts

Return to Canada