Random Breath tests

Re: Random Breath tests

Postby GordonH » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove drinking drivers from our roads. So that innocent lives are not at risk, well at least from this threat.
Because 50+/- years of counterattack isn't working so far.

To clarify preventative actions.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8815 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:07 pm

GordonH wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove drinking drivers from our roads. So that innocent lives are not at risk, well at least from this threat.

Counter-Attack road checks as currently deployed are a joke! I moved to the Okanagan in 1997 and I drive a lot all over the valley and many other places in BC, during that time I can remember one roadblock I was caught up in (Vernon many years ago at Christmas) and one that was opposite side of the road to me (Lake Country 2 years ago, also during Christmas), that's it ... If these checks were to pop up way more frequently and during all times of the year at random times/places "morning, noon and night" (not just Christmas & New Years) I think they would nab way more drunk drivers and the message would eventually get across that if you drive drunk your chances of getting caught are pretty good. The risk of getting caught today under the current set-up are way too low... yes it would cost more tax $, but I for one wouldn't mind if it was to get drunks off the roads. And they should be dealt with under the CCC, none of this IPR BS, unless maybe they blew a warn above .05 but below .08, but anyone over .08 should be charged under the CCC - period!

But I don't think it matters what we do, even if we implemented zero tolerance, 5 years in jail coupled with 10 year DL loss on first offence, people would still drive under the influence. Maybe a lot less than now, but some still would...

And giving the police these carte-blache powers is not the answer for sure...

countmeout likes this post.
RVThereYet
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 727 posts

Postby cr125 » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:17 pm

This Quote I have always believed to be true:

"My house is my castle" simply means that you can do whatever you want to at your own home. Also,
You home is your domain. you are the ultimate ruler, have ultimate responsibility and should be able to do whatever you want in it. you also have the right and responsibility to defend it and protect anyone and anything in it.

Now I would think a police officer should know this, and obtain a warrant, before trying such a stupid move.
cr125
Fledgling

Liked in: 75 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:34 pm

GordonH wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove drinking drivers from our roads. So that innocent lives are not at risk, well at least from this threat.

RVThereYet wrote:Counter-Attack road checks as currently deployed are a joke! I moved to the Okanagan in 1997 and I drive a lot all over the valley and many other places in BC, during that time I can remember one roadblock I was caught up in (Vernon many years ago at Christmas) and one that was opposite side of the road to me (Lake Country 2 years ago, also during Christmas), that's it ... If these checks were to pop up way more frequently and during all times of the year at random times/places "morning, noon and night" (not just Christmas & New Years) I think they would nab way more drunk drivers and the message would eventually get across that if you drive drunk your chances of getting caught are pretty good. The risk of getting caught today under the current set-up are way too low... yes it would cost more tax $, but I for one wouldn't mind if it was to get drunks off the roads. And they should be dealt with under the CCC, none of this IPR BS, unless maybe they blew a warn above .05 but below .08, but anyone over .08 should be charged under the CCC - period!

But I don't think it matters what we do, even if we implemented zero tolerance, 5 years in jail coupled with 10 year DL loss on first offence, people would still drive under the influence. Maybe a lot less than now, but some still would...

And giving the police these carte-blache powers is not the answer for sure...

The loss of human beings to drinking drivers is also not the answer.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:47 pm

GordonH wrote:
The loss of human beings to drinking drivers is also not the answer.

Ok, so what do you think should be done then???

And to clarify, I don't mind blowing anytime I'm driving and get stopped in a legal traffic stop, that's not the issue for me, but this coming to my door up to two hours after I get home to demand a breath sample is going too far!
Last edited by RVThereYet on Jan 13th, 2019, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cr125 likes this post.
RVThereYet
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 727 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:11 pm

I wonder what that *bleep* MP Stephen (I'm a pilot) Fuhr or is it Fuhrer has to say about his "masters" idea of taking away Canadians RIGHTS?

………..never a peep out of this 6 figure pension seeker!
Last edited by lesliepaul on Jan 14th, 2019, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MAPearce likes this post.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1214 posts

Postby Chyren » Jan 13th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Its amazing reading these forums and seeing more and more anti-police comments when the police did not create this law.
If you disagree with this law then go to your MP and get it changed.

The police are there to catch impaired drivers. YOU pay them to. If they're not out then its a problem, and if they are out its a problem....

Once again if you want to challenge this law then do so.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 384 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 13th, 2019, 10:26 pm

The police are there to catch impaired drivers. YOU pay them to. If they're not out then its a problem, and if they are out its a problem...

hmmm...

My first thought is , ok ..

My second thought is , we pay them to catch criminals .. If they can't find any , they can MAKE criminals to catch just to justify their existence ..

Happens every day and this "new" law will make it easier for them to do just that ... Look at the Enterprise Way crawl for an example .

You going to tell me that anyone who's had a long , hard day at work has to wait for two hours for a glass of wine or a beer to unwind AFTER they get home for fear of criminal prosecution ?
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4803 posts

Postby my5cents » Jan 14th, 2019, 10:28 am

Chyren wrote:Its amazing reading these forums and seeing more and more anti-police comments when the police did not create this law.
If you disagree with this law then go to your MP and get it changed.

The police are there to catch impaired drivers. YOU pay them to. If they're not out then its a problem, and if they are out its a problem....

Once again if you want to challenge this law then do so.

The government enacts laws that tread on our rights. The courts that are funded for by the government and who's judges are chosen by the government uphold those laws that tread on our rights.

The laws say, the police MUST...…

and... you say those concerned with the laws are anti police ?

I'd call that flawed logic.

Yes there will always be over zealous police, that's why all laws enacted must have fail safes. That's why we have (had ?) rights like innocent until proven guilty.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

twobits likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1589 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 14th, 2019, 11:38 am

i think it is and has worked. Remember 70's...80's when you had to drive because you were to loaded to walk.
It was acceptable to drink and drive more back then. Look at it now, I would say that people are 1000% more responsible now.
If thousands of people were dying...even then it still wouldn't be about impaired driving.
The federal Libs let the long arm of the law into our homes 2 hours after we went to bed.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1208 posts

Re: Random Breath Tests

Postby RandyDandy » Jan 14th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Very disturbing news about our growing police state. This is CANADA for crying out loud. Can this really be happening here? Apparently the police can now show up at your residence or a bar or a restaurant and demand a breath sample. If you refuse you will be charged and arrested. How did we get to this point?
http://www.globalnews.ca/news/4832762/i ... h-samples/
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Liked in: 89 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 14th, 2019, 12:25 pm

There is a topic here already.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80776
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

--Mark Twain
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12535 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 14th, 2019, 12:39 pm

RandyDandy wrote:Very disturbing news about our growing police state. This is CANADA for crying out loud. Can this really be happening here? Apparently the police can now show up at your residence or a bar or a restaurant and demand a breath sample. If you refuse you will be charged and arrested. How did we get to this point?
://globalnews.ca/news/4832762/impaired-driving-canada-breath-samples/

Those unhappy with the changes, then send a very loud voice to the law makers who installed these changes.
By the way that's not the police forces across this country.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 14th, 2019, 2:54 pm

[
Last edited by oldtrucker on Jan 15th, 2019, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1208 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Still not sure what these new laws/powers do to curb impaired driving.

Alcohol screening is just a small segment of a much larger
impairment issue.

It does zero towards prescription or non-prescription drug impairment.
It does zero towards sleep deprivation/fatigue impairment.
It does zero toward age or mental impaiments.

To that, all I see it being is a tiny band-aid attempting to
cover a gapeing wound.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

oldtrucker likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3700 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada