Random Breath tests

Re: Random Breath tests

Postby GordonH » Jan 14th, 2019, 2:08 pm

GordonH wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove drinking drivers from our roads. So that innocent lives are not at risk, well at least from this threat.
Because 50+/- years of counterattack isn't working so far.

To clarify preventative actions.

oldtrucker wrote:i think it is and has worked. Remember 70's...80's when you had to drive because you were to loaded to walk. it was one of these as :cuss: holes who killed a sibling of mine & friends
It was acceptable to drink and drive more back then. Look at it now, I would say that people are 1000% more responsible now. people are still being killed by these as :cuss: holes
If thousands of people were dying...even then it still wouldn't be about impaired driving.
The federal Libs let the long arm of the law into our homes 2 hours after we went to bed.

If you don't like the new laws, let your MP know your opposition.
Police don't make laws, they only enforce them.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

the truth likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8101 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 14th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I know you have experienced the pain as have I, and many others. I'm saying overall todays young people are way more responsible when it comes to impaired driving. No one cared about it really 30 years ago but now things are very different.
Eradicating impaired driving is impossible when it's still a human at the controls. In 20,30 years or so driving itself will probably considered too dangerous for most people to handle, and driverless machines will eliminate impaired driving.
Just because you, I, and a percentage of the population(whatever that number is) has experienced a loss doesn't make it okay for everyone to have their rights thrown out the window.
Never trade security for freedom.
Last edited by oldtrucker on Jan 14th, 2019, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

2 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 831 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 14th, 2019, 2:35 pm

oldtrucker wrote:I know you have experienced the pain as have I, and many others. I'm saying overall todays young people are way more responsible when it comes to impaired driving. No one cared about it really 30 years ago but now things are very different.
Eradicating impaired driving is as impossible when it's still a human at the controls. In 20,30 years or so driving itself will probably considered too dangerous for most people to handle, and driverless machines will eliminate impaired driving.
Just because you, I, and a percentage of the population(whatever that number is) has experienced a loss doesn't make it okay for everyone to have their rights thrown out the window.
Never trade security for freedom.

Like I said complain to your MP if you don't like the new law.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ken7 » Jan 14th, 2019, 4:53 pm

https://www.facebook.com/notes/constabl ... 365210524/

For what it is worth read this. As a retired officer it is of my opinion this new LIBERAL law will not stand in the court of Law. Further more, as the article states you the average citizen will not have to worry about laying in bed drinking a magnum of wine with your wife or other and smoking a fatty worrying about the PO-PO walking in and taking you away.

Don't be so naive!!

3 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2955 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 14th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Ken7 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/notes/constable-mark-smith/no-police-are-not-going-to-randomly-walk-into-homes-or-restaurants-to-conduct-br/2350096365210524/

For what it is worth read this. As a retired officer it is of my opinion this new LIBERAL law will not stand in the court of Law. Further more, as the article states you the average citizen will not have to worry about laying in bed drinking a magnum of wine with your wife or other and smoking a fatty worrying about the PO-PO walking in and taking you away.

Don't be so naive!!

Good link Ken.

I don't know why people seem so scared now.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 565 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jan 14th, 2019, 5:39 pm

soupy wrote:
Good link Ken.

I don't know why people seem so scared now.

The RCMP in Kelowna, don't have time to stop you when you drive through a traffic light. Do you think they will come to your home?? LOL.

I feel the Trudeau Government was lobbied by MADD and instead of saying, there are laws to enforce impaired driving already they jumped and put more laws in the Criminal Code. Will they stand in court, my experience is saying NO!
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2955 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 14th, 2019, 9:19 pm

So if you are using someone else vehicle, and you get an IRP... what happens to the vehicle ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2293 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 14th, 2019, 9:55 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So if you are using someone else vehicle, and you get an IRP... what happens to the vehicle ?

Bye-bye car, off to the impound it goes.

my5cents likes this post.
RVThereYet
Board Meister

Liked in: 568 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 14th, 2019, 10:09 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So if you are using someone else vehicle, and you get an IRP... what happens to the vehicle ?

RVThereYet wrote:Bye-bye car, off to the impound it goes.

This is why it's best not to lend out ones car/vehicle.

kgcayenne likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 14th, 2019, 10:48 pm

For how long ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2293 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 14th, 2019, 11:42 pm

And then there are gated communities, gated estates, and the like.

Those living in their confines get a free pass for the 2 hr rule?

At what point do people fence, gate and lock their entire property ?

Access by intercom and buzzer,ala apt. block.

I know it's jumping the gun, just random thoughts.

Sad state, for all our ancestors fought for, to be infiltrated by our
very own Government.

This could very well be just the begining.

As stated, just random thoughts.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3368 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 14th, 2019, 11:59 pm

In any sane/civilized society, the owner would be given a chance to come pick the car up before it gets locked up. But hey, we're talking about places that respect responsible adults as responsible adults.

Its one thing to demand a breath sample while behind the wheel, but being able to demand a breath sample while you are not behind the wheel, whether it be at a bar or 2 hours after you got home and you can still be charged is beyond messed up.

I'm all for getting drunks off the road, but this is way too insane.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1524 posts

Postby my5cents » Jan 15th, 2019, 9:46 am

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:For how long ?

The short version :

If it's for a 3 or 7 day prohibition, the police officer MAY impound for the length of the prohibition.

If it's for a 30 or 90 day prohibition, the police officer MUST impound for 30 days.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1396 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 15th, 2019, 10:38 am

my5cents wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:For how long ?

The short version :

If it's for a 3 or 7 day prohibition, the police officer MAY impound for the length of the prohibition.

If it's for a 30 or 90 day prohibition, the police officer MUST impound for 30 days.

There have been stories in the news where a company vehicle driven by an employee is impounded and not getting released back to the company (registered owner) that needs it in order to conduct their business.

I would be curious in the case of a rental-car... I'm guessing renter will be responsible for all costs including continued rental fees for the period of impoundment, plus of course towing and impound costs etc. I'd have to look at a recent car rental contract to see if there is a provision for this type of scenario? I'm sure there is, I know they have clauses for things like speeding tickets/photo radar. I'm not sure if the rules would allow the police to release a rental car from impound, when clearly the driver is to blame and the rental company is not.

Also would be interesting to know if the vehicle was a government car, like CoK or IH? Employee drives car home and gets a 30 or 90 day IPR suspension. Would that car get released back to the government employer prior to the end of the impound?
RVThereYet
Board Meister

Liked in: 568 posts

Postby countmeout » Jan 15th, 2019, 10:45 am

OKkayak wrote:In any sane/civilized society, the owner would be given a chance to come pick the car up before it gets locked up. But hey, we're talking about places that respect responsible adults as responsible adults.

Our government would rather we don't share cars for fear of these issues.

Insurance should be taken out per person, not per vehicle. The vehicle would require its own collision (because cars vary in cost to repair) if the owner opted for it but then all liability would fall to the driver. Each driver would take out their own yearly insurance, do they drive to work, casual on the weekends, etc to decide on price and choose the liability they want to carry and all points would be applied to them in a crash regardless of what vehicle. There would be a limit on what you are allowed to drive per the insurance purchased; maybe a limit by vehicle weight.

This would then suspend the driver in the case of a roadside suspension and the owner of the vehicle could go and pick up the car without it being impounded on the promise that they will not lend it to said friend again for what the length of the impoundment would be.

The current way this is set up helps police people off the road by not allowing access to cars. It is the government's lazy way of getting us to do the work or pay huge consequences.

2 people like this post.
countmeout
Fledgling

Liked in: 197 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada