Indigenous cannabis store testing Canadian law

Indigenous cannabis store testing Canadian law

Postby Ken7 » Jan 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Story on the news tonight. Indigenous have Cannabis stores on their land. I guess you might say its a modern medicine man.

They have been told, you need to be licenced be on reserve land or not. According to the news, the Federation will be drafting laws for their people which will permit them to sell on reserve.

https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/new ... 1.23529040

According to the link Members of the Kwaw-kwaw-Apilt First Nation said Ottawa should have been aware of the conflict.

What's your thoughts, should the Federal Government let the medicine man sell on reserve?

My reaction is, we are in Canada and sorry that's the law.

3 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3090 posts

Re: Indigenous cannabis store testing Canadian law

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm

The law is the law, and people will break them. I’d rather see an unlicensed pot shop than a legal liquor store on any reservation.
Just my opinion, no harm no foul, nobody ever got hurt when there were 5/6 illegal cannabis stores in Kelowna.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 12th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I remember when this news story came out:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4566144/pot- ... grey-area/

But at least one other dispensary is selling pot despite not having gone through that provincial process.

The dispensary is next to the Little Kingdom food store on Westside Road near Vernon. It’s on Okanagan Indian Band (OKIB) land, and, unlike other dispensaries in B.C. that have been forced to shut down in order to re-apply for a licence to sell, the one on OKIB land has not.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7601 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Jan 12th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Ken I agree. The law is the law. If they don’t want to follow the law, erect a fence around their land and never leave. Seems they always want the best of both worlds.....oh and the fence also means no more government money.....I know, fat chance...

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2098 posts

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 12th, 2019, 7:54 pm

vegas1500 wrote:Ken I agree. The law is the law. If they don’t want to follow the law, erect a fence around their land and never leave. Seems they always want the best of both worlds.....oh and the fence also means no more government money.....I know, fat chance...

Up until 4/5 months ago there were several illegally operated pot shops in Kelowna, who do we build a wall around in that case?
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Postby vegas1500 » Jan 12th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Brass Monkey wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:Ken I agree. The law is the law. If they don’t want to follow the law, erect a fence around their land and never leave. Seems they always want the best of both worlds.....oh and the fence also means no more government money.....I know, fat chance...

Up until 4/5 months ago there were several illegally operated pot shops in Kelowna, who do we build a wall around in that case?

Nope but they mostly got raided and shut down....make sense??

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2098 posts

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 12th, 2019, 8:17 pm

vegas1500 wrote:

Nope but they mostly got raided and shut down....make sense??

They don’t stay standing for 2 or more years after police raids. Some were served cease and desist orders but they ignored it, now they’ve shut down after making dozens, possibly hundreds of thousands of tax free dollars. Besides, who cares? Nobody gets hurt, it’s been part of BCs underground economy for decades.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Postby Ken7 » Jan 12th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Brass Monkey wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:

They don’t stay standing for 2 or more years after police raids. Some were served cease and desist orders but they ignored it, now they’ve shut down after making dozens, possibly hundreds of thousands of tax free dollars. Besides, who cares? Nobody gets hurt, it’s been part of BCs underground economy for decades.

The reserves won't be paying TAX on their pot sales....will they?

Really, the fact is there is process and I think if we stretch the Canadian Laws for one ethnic group, will we adopt Sharia Law for another ethnic group.

Why even have a Canadian Criminal Code, let's all do as we please.

Sorry but no-one wants to say "NO", and there are some people that just don't know what no means. As for the pot shops I for the longest time and still to this day do not understand why before legalization the RCMP did not do their job. Trafficking is a law prior to the legalization and it still will have application now if done without licence.

3 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 12th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Ken7 wrote:

Really, the fact is there is process and I think if we stretch the Canadian Laws for one ethnic group, will we adopt Sharia Law for another ethnic group.

Sorry but no-one wants to say "NO", and there are some people that just don't know what no means. As for the pot shops I for the longest time and still to this day do not understand why before legalization the RCMP did not do their job. Trafficking is a law prior to the legalization and it still will have application now if done without licence.

They will not be paying taxes on cannabis sales, as businesses on the reservation are tax exempt.

Jeesh...thats quite a large step...first its pot shops then its sharia law.

Even the RCMP understand that there are better things to do than hound hippies for selling cannabis to other hippies. Victimless crimes don't bother me much.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 12th, 2019, 11:37 pm

So is it illegal to go in and buy something? I don't think there would be any 'duty paid' stickers on it.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1419 posts

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 12th, 2019, 11:43 pm

Brass Monkey wrote:
Ken7 wrote:

They will not be paying taxes on cannabis sales, as businesses on the reservation are tax exempt.

Even the RCMP understand that there are better things to do than hound hippies for selling cannabis to other hippies. Victimless crimes don't bother me much.

One group benefiting over another because "muh unceeded lands" bothers me.
KiloHotel
Fledgling

Liked in: 139 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jan 13th, 2019, 12:18 am

Brass Monkey wrote:

Brass, I was poking you....I'm aware there is no tax on the reserve.

No the fact that Indigenous want their own law which may not be Canadian Law as they make their own when suitable. IF Canadian Government let them curve the current, what next Sharia Law. That was my point.

You are like Trudeau in some ways, you twisted that pretty well going from pot to law. Why not Indigenous Law to Sharia Law.

When you think about it or maybe you wish to ignore it, chances are the Reserves were no buying their pot from legal grow ops, which if you forget that was one of Trudeaus' big goals wiping out illegal trade.
Ken7
Guru

Postby Smurf » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:56 am

I join the can't understand it crowd. I could not understand the stores being open before legalization and I don't understand the unlicensed ones now. One is as bad as the other. Why do we even have laws if we don't enforce them? It makes a farce of the whole system as far as I am concerned. If they are bad laws then change them, don't ignore them.

EDIT TO ADD:

Trudeau would probably love to change the laws for FN's. But he can't rock the boat with an election coming up because it might be unpopular among voters. Must please everyone. But I believe he is finding out that is impossible. A lesson he is way too slow learning.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Ken7 likes this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6618 posts

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 13th, 2019, 8:28 am

KiloHotel wrote:

One group benefiting over another because "muh unceeded lands" bothers me.

There were a handful of shops operating illegally in Kelowna for years, likely sourcing from unlicensed grows, not paying taxes and all owned by non-FN. Did you cry foul then? I know I didn’t.

LANDM likes this post.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Postby Brass Monkey » Jan 13th, 2019, 8:39 am

Ken7 wrote:
Brass, I was poking you....I'm aware there is no tax on the reserve.

No the fact that Indigenous want their own law which may not be Canadian Law as they make their own when suitable. IF Canadian Government let them curve the current, what next Sharia Law. That was my point.

You are like Trudeau in some ways, you twisted that pretty well going from pot to law. Why not Indigenous Law to Sharia Law.

When you think about it or maybe you wish to ignore it, chances are the Reserves were no buying their pot from legal grow ops, which if you forget that was one of Trudeaus' big goals wiping out illegal trade.

Many First Nations across Canada already have their own laws, it doesn’t start a domino effect leading to something as radical as sharia.

It is written in some treaties and self governing frameworks that the provincial government doesn’t have jurisidiction on their lands, such as my own:

Unlicensed operation is aplenty in this country, from unlicensed electricians, to unlicensed plumbers to unlicensed cannabis stores,

These aren’t people that are blatantly disregarding a law, there is some grey area here, these are people who live on reserve lands who have control over their own bylaws, regulations and permits.

Ka-El likes this post.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Next

Return to Canada