Go Fund me for sledders

Palliser
Fledgling

Go Fund me for sledders

Post by Palliser »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/246762 ... r-sledders

Seems strange that anyone is surprised that these gentleman died...it seems that every year there sledders die playing the dangerous job of 'high marking'. It is very sad for their families.

It is very foolish. Especially a father taking part in something so dangerous with his son. Such a horrible pointless waste.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Go Fund me for sledders

Post by jimmy4321 »

It's sad stuff , hope the families get what they need.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Palliser wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/246762/gofundme-for-sledders

Seems strange that anyone is surprised that these gentleman died...it seems that every year there sledders die playing the dangerous job of 'high marking'. It is very sad for their families.

It is very foolish. Especially a father taking part in something so dangerous with his son. Such a horrible pointless waste.

Seems strange that people are surprised when people die in vehicle crashes every year. They no the risks but they drive anyway.
Yes this event would be sad for the family but I'm sure they all knew the risks. And it certainly isn't pointless doing an activity that you love. Everything has some level of risk but I guess if it has risk we should just say no and stay on the couch.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The risks for driving and snow sledding are completely different. Just the vast number differences are enough to make comparisons moot.
Alsoi the sledders killed were doing high risk sledding. Not just for avalanches but high marking can result in death or injury due to sleds toppling over.
Make a comparison to driving using the same risks. Like driving twice the speed limit on a bendy road. Or excessive speeding on an icy highway.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Statistically, high marking isn't that dangerous. It just seems like that to you because you only hear about the few deaths/injuries a year rather than the 10's of thousands of successful rides that occur every Saturday and Sunday during the winter. These guys had the proper gear, were with a skilled group, and as far as I can tell they took just about every safety precaution.

I am not in favor of bubble wrapping society. You guys can stay indoors in front of your nice safe TV all winter, but I'm going to get out into the back country, get some exercise, and live a little. Bet I'll live longer than you in the end :130:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

TylerM4 wrote:These guys had the proper gear, were with a skilled group, and as far as I can tell they took just about every safety precaution.

The absolute best precaution is to dig a proper snow pit and check the layers for stability. Wonder if this was done?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Palliser wrote:
It is very foolish. Especially a father taking part in something so dangerous with his son.

Nowhere did I read that they were taking part in the highmarking, only that someone in their party did.

They could just as well been down slope spectating, or even unaware of one of the others actions.

Caught up in the ensueing aftermath.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Pretty easy to tell who knows about sledding and who doesn't in this thread. You have a better chance of dying going to the store for a jug of milk than you do of dying while sledding. We should ban milk.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Pretty easy to tell who knows about sledding and who doesn't in this thread. You have a better chance of dying going to the store for a jug of milk than you do of dying while sledding. We should ban milk.

Or to the liquor store. Ban booze!

This is Gone_Fishin' every time a sledder runs to the store for milk, "shoulda gone sledding in the backcountry, you'll be safer."

:laugh:
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 20th, 2019, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ban Albertans - they're the ones that mostly get caught in avalanches.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

What about going to the store for munchies while on a pot high?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

seewood wrote:The absolute best precaution is to dig a proper snow pit and check the layers for stability. Wonder if this was done?

Or check the internet for updates on the stability in the area (I believe it was listed as "extreme" at the time).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Smurf wrote:What about going to the store for munchies while on a pot high?

Send the nanny.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Pretty easy to tell who knows about sledding and who doesn't in this thread. You have a better chance of dying going to the store for a jug of milk than you do of dying while sledding. We should ban milk.

So what is the percentage of sledders being killed as to drivers? In that as how many sledders in use compared to cars in use.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bsuds wrote:

So what is the percentage of sledders being killed as to drivers? In that as how many sledders in use compared to cars in use.

Couldn’t find stats from the exact same time periods, however these links show from 2008-2017 the average deaths per 100,000 for Canadian MVIs was 7.17

The other article shows a study from 2012 following a 12 year period in which 36.5 deaths per 100,000 snowmobile riders occurred.

Obviously this isn’t the absolute most current data, but unless something insanely drastic happened in between that’s still roughly 5x the number of fatalities. And keep in mind that 7.17 figure includes all victims of MVIs so passengers, pedestrians, motorcycle riders, and bus passengers.

So no, you’re not more likely to die getting milk...unless you’re snowmobiling to Mac’s.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/birth ... cident.pdf
http://www.injuryresearch.bc.ca/wp-cont ... -FINAL.pdf
Attachments
84F94B6B-E4E8-40B8-9B91-840C3D27AFA3.jpeg

Return to “Canada”