Frustrating experience this week

Frustrating experience this week

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 25th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Earlier this week I ordered some new wiper blades for my truck from amazon.ca For $16 each, I had new wiper blades delivered to my door in 2 days, with tracking. They came all of the way from their Ontario warehouse, and for some stupid reason amazon put each wiper blade in it's own box that was at least 10x larger than required. Even if both blades went in the same box the box would have been way too big but whatever. Amazon is making money hand over fist.

Also this week, I went to the post office and mailed some documents to Kamloops with tracking. It took 3 days to get to Kamloops and cost... you guessed it $16.

How the heck can Amazon ship me a wiper blade from Ontario, in a stupid large box, in 2 days for $16 yet Canada post charges me $16 just to mail a fricken envelope to Kamloops in 3 days? Even scarier when you consider that Amazon is making money like crazy while Canada post is losing money like crazy.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1249 posts

Re: Frustrating experience this week

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 26th, 2019, 6:21 am

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/ ... wsreleases

Time to get rid of Canada Post, not just *bleep* with it- Privatize it.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2119 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 26th, 2019, 8:45 am

TylerM4 wrote:
How the heck can Amazon ship me a wiper blade from Ontario, in a stupid large box, in 2 days for $16 yet Canada post charges me $16 just to mail a fricken envelope to Kamloops in 3 days? Even scarier when you consider that Amazon is making money like crazy while Canada post is losing money like crazy.

Maybe Cda Post is losing money because the big retailers Like Amazon are getting too big of a break in their shipping costs.
My Wife gives me very sound advice...99% sound and 1% advice!

stuphoto likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12141 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 26th, 2019, 11:23 am

Bsuds wrote:
Maybe Cda Post is losing money because the big retailers Like Amazon are getting too big of a break in their shipping costs.

Maybe. If that's the case, another reason to shut them down. A public service should serve the public 1st, not businesses out for profit.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby Smurf » Jan 26th, 2019, 11:59 am

Did you check out other methods of shipping and if so what did they cost. If you didn't. Why not? Or is that the going rate.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6409 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Smurf wrote:Did you check out other methods of shipping and if so what did they cost. If you didn't. Why not? Or is that the going rate.

It might be the going rate. Does it matter tho? Either way, they're ripping off the regular taxpayer. Private businesses are allowed to take advantage of the market to maximize profit but it's not something I'd expect from a service that's funded by my tax dollars and supposed to be revenue-neutral.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby Smurf » Jan 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I agree, but they need volume to survive and to get volume they have to compete for large volume customers. Do you think we would be better off without them? I have no idea but I would suspect not.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6409 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 26th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Parcel and letter/document handling streams and costs are two entirely different beasts.

Parcel delivery, in bulk, is indeed a profitable business model. Just ask UPS or FedEx.

Letter post, with its declining volume, coupled with archaic rules and processes like door-to-door delivery every day, is a dead loss. For an example of that, when Britain decided to sell off the Royal Mail, only the parcel business could be sold. No private company would touch the letter/document business.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to remove archaic services from our systems. For example, other than perhaps a very few businesses, who needs 5 day a week letter service these days? And realistically not very many need door-to-door service. It is a luxury that we can no longer afford - but one fraught with politics, and vigorously opposed by the union as it would substantially reduce employment.
Anyone but Scheer - career pols are know nothings.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 10433 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 26th, 2019, 12:57 pm

hobbyguy wrote:Parcel and letter/document handling streams and costs are two entirely different beasts.

Parcel delivery, in bulk, is indeed a profitable business model. Just ask UPS or FedEx.

Letter post, with its declining volume, coupled with archaic rules and processes like door-to-door delivery every day, is a dead loss. For an example of that, when Britain decided to sell off the Royal Mail, only the parcel business could be sold. No private company would touch the letter/document business.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to remove archaic services from our systems. For example, other than perhaps a very few businesses, who needs 5 day a week letter service these days? And realistically not very many need door-to-door service. It is a luxury that we can no longer afford - but one fraught with politics, and vigorously opposed by the union as it would substantially reduce employment.

If I had mailed it from my door to Kamloops door, I'd agree with you. But that's not what happened. I brought my documents to the post office. They're a bulk shipping outlet just like a business.

I do agree tho - traditional letter/mail service would need to be rethought if we did disband Canada Post. I'd be happy to only receive my letter mail once or twice a week in the form of a bulk delivery to my door.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 26th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Smurf wrote:I agree, but they need volume to survive and to get volume they have to compete for large volume customers. Do you think we would be better off without them? I have no idea but I would suspect not.

They're a post office. They're doing lots of volume. Mine was only one of hundreds of items they shipped that day. Yes, not the truckloads that Amazon sends out, but there's economies of scale there. At the point where it's more the 1 truckload, there's no more savings by having the additional volume.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of Canada Post to be honest. But I also don't like the idea of taxpayers getting hosed either. Not only did those documents cost me $16 to send to Kamloops,I'm also getting taxed to help support to Canada post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby fvkasm2x » Jan 28th, 2019, 11:27 am

They're definitely a rip off.

I mailed a box of stuff (basically it was 2 cardboard beer flats closed on top of each other and taped into a box shape) and it cost $17 to ship.

Maybe 2lb weight... probably closer to 1lb.

I also mailed a manilla envelope with 4 pieces of paper in it. Wanted tracking. Cost me $14

Prices are ridiculous, especially when compared to the US Postal service
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1463 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jan 28th, 2019, 11:33 am

It is a luxury that we can no longer afford - but one fraught with politics, and vigorously opposed by the union as it would substantially reduce employment.

yet Canada post charges me $16 just to mail a fricken envelope to Kamloops in 3 days?

The answer lies within me thinks.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 3927 posts

Postby ckil » Jan 28th, 2019, 11:34 am

Get off your lazy butt, walk to the store and support your local economy. Problem solved.

seewood likes this post.
ckil
Board Meister

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 28th, 2019, 12:07 pm

ckil wrote:Get off your lazy butt, walk to the store and support your local economy. Problem solved.

Did just that sort of. Drove, and bought a set of wipers from Lordco Last Friday.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

dirtybiker likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1440 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 28th, 2019, 12:40 pm

IMO - Costco has best deal on wiper-blades, I buy 2 sets at a time and keep the spares in the truck just in case. Good quality blades at about 50%-60% less than places like Canadian Tire or Lordco. They have the fitment charts attached to the display and I've never has issues finding what I need for our vehicles. Not sure how it compares to Amazon, but I'm guessing its comparable in quality and price, plus way easier to return if needed.
RVThereYet
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 613 posts

Return to Canada