Burger King closes three months after it unionizes

Re: Burger King closes three months after it unionizes

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 29th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Venkman wrote:
People who work for a living are being personally responsible. So say otherwise is baffling.

And saying that said people should be paid more for their jobs is also baffling. Why?
All of those people suffering from TDS that still say that Hillary won the 2016 US election because she won the popular vote - I expect you to fill out your Conservative party membership forms today, and support Andrew Scheer as the actual PM of Canada.

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24293 posts

Postby Venkman » Jan 29th, 2019, 6:07 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 30th, 2019, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Venkman
Fledgling

Liked in: 226 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 29th, 2019, 6:37 pm

I have absolutely no problem with fast food workers getting higher wages, reason being it would cause the *bleep* food sold to increase in price.
Just maybe people will actually make better & healthier choices.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9087 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby JLives » Jan 29th, 2019, 6:51 pm

If you don't want companies to pay a living wage because you don't want to pay a few bucks more (in reality it would be less) for a burger, you are a terrible human being.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

5 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6558 posts

Postby Veovis » Jan 29th, 2019, 7:28 pm

JLives wrote:If you don't want companies to pay a living wage because you don't want to pay a few bucks more (in reality it would be less) for a burger, you are a terrible human being.

Look at how bright the virtue signal is in the sky tonight Virtue Batman will surely come to save the day. You know because he's fictionally just like your convictions.

IF you haven't opened your own Burger King and created wealth and great living wages yourself perhaps you need to go to each Fast food place each day and tip every employee $25.00 each. You know because you will put your money where your mouth is.......riiiight, forgot, you only spend other peoples money to make yourself feel good.....which actually does make you a terrible human being, as you don't help others just yell for someone else to.

3 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4790 posts

Postby Frisk » Jan 29th, 2019, 7:43 pm

JLives wrote:If you don't want companies to pay a living wage because you don't want to pay a few bucks more (in reality it would be less) for a burger, you are a terrible human being.

I work a minimum wage job myself and I don't want a higher salary. Higher wages = higher costs for everyone else = higher wages for everyone else. If you want more money then get a better career.

9 people like this post.
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 2454 posts

Postby Vacancyrate » Jan 29th, 2019, 11:42 pm

Frisk wrote:I work a minimum wage job myself and I don't want a higher salary. Higher wages = higher costs for everyone else = higher wages for everyone else. If you want more money then get a better career.

Future Assistant to the Regional Manager material.

2 people like this post.
Vacancyrate
Übergod

Liked in: 1096 posts

Postby floppi » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:14 am

Frisk wrote:
I work a minimum wage job myself and I don't want a higher salary. Higher wages = higher costs for everyone else = higher wages for everyone else. If you want more money then get a better career.

If your happy there, that's all that matters.

2 people like this post.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1278 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:32 am

JLives wrote:Obviously they're paying them something. Slavery is illegal after all.

And if they don't like what they're being paid. Go out and look for a better wage. Take online courses to help you learn a skill. Make the sacrifices that so many of us have to improve our financial lives. It's not easy but everyone can do it, it's up to them.
JLives wrote:These people are working jobs and earning their wage. That's not what spoon fed means.

Nor did I imply that it does. Spoon feeding comes when people start demanding society change and pay them a wage they can get elsewhere by using the money of others.
JLives wrote:That's not being greedy or lazy.

Greedy is when you expect people who were fed up making minimum wage, took the personal initiative to improve their financial life, started their own business and now have to give up the fruit they've earned to people who feel that they're entitled to it because they flip burgers for them. Greedy is when you expect people who took the personal initiative to improve their financial life, went out and got a better education, learned a trade so they can now make a living wage, now having to give up more of their money to pay for a product or service to pay the wages of those who don't want to take that personal initiative to improve their financial life.
JLives wrote:Is working for a living not the very definition of personal responsibility?

Thats only the beginning. If you work and can't pay your bills, personal responsibility dictates you need to change something in your life. Flipping burgers just doesn't cut it anymore.
JLives wrote:I reject your idea that people should suck it up and be happy with whatever *bleep* wage is offered. Screw that. We can do better. We have a minimum wage for a reason or companies like this would be paying even less than they are.

I reject that people should be happy with whatever *bleep* wage is offered. Thus, my suggestion remains. Find a better wage yourself and stop expecting the rest of us to cough up the cash when we, ourselves took the initiative you feel you're entitled to :up:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

3 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5108 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:40 am

No, I don't want to pay more for a burger. Prices are steep as they are. Why should I have to pay more of the money I've earned by advancing my financial goals, wages on my own personal initiative and risk to subsidize those who think they deserve what I have without doing what I had to do? You call that being a terrible person, I call that being personally responsible.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

4 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby Vacancyrate » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:45 am

OKkayak wrote:No, I don't want to pay more for a burger. Prices are steep as they are. Why should I have to pay more of the money I've earned by advancing my financial goals, wages on my own personal initiative and risk to subsidize those who think they deserve what I have without doing what I had to do? You call that being a terrible person, I call that being personally responsible.

Why should someone earn a slave wage because you feel you have a right to a cheap burger because you don't want to cook one yourself?

You'd have to pay more for a burger because the owner of the shop wants to buy his wife a second SUV, not because a 21 year old doesn't want to go to college. It's the owners pocket that is padded by keeping wages low and he doesn't want to give up his profits on the backs of those low wages. You're talking about being personally responsible but yet shifting the blame from the store owner to the lowest end employee!

JLives likes this post.
Vacancyrate
Übergod

Liked in: 1096 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:03 am

Vacancyrate wrote:Why should someone earn a slave wage because you feel you have a right to a cheap burger because you don't want to cook one yourself?

Thats the beauty of it all! Someone doesn't have to earn a slave wage! They can actually go out and change that with some good ol' fashioned self will and perseverance! What an awesome world we live in :up:

As for cheap burgers, I already stated my limit being contained to Whopper Wednesday's now. Their regular prices for their subpar product isn't worth it. And FYI, my burgers are out of this world. Instead of bacon (don't get my wrong, love bacon) but fry up some salami nice and crisp instead, gruyere cheese and a nice mango/chilli relish :up: :biggrin:
Vacancyrate wrote:You'd have to pay more for a burger because the owner of the shop wants to buy his wife a second SUV, not because a 21 year old doesn't want to go to college. It's the owners pocket that is padded by keeping wages low and he doesn't want to give up his profits on the backs of those low wages.

Damn right he doesn't want to give up his profits, nor should he. Those are profits he's earned! Good on him for buying his wife a second SUV with the money he's earned. Thats the whole point of moving on in life, away from minimum wage jobs, so you have that financial freedom to splurge with what ever tickles your fancy.
Vacancyrate wrote:You're talking about being personally responsible but yet shifting the blame from the store owner to the lowest end employee!

See, you got that all upside down now. It's not the owners responsibility to ensure their employees can pay their bills, it's the employees own responsibility.

Unless the owner is doing something no-no, like not paying the legally required wages, they don't get a single ounce of blame and certainly not for not conforming to others personal ideologies.

- James Tiberius Kirk

5 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 30th, 2019, 8:23 am

GordonH wrote:I have absolutely no problem with fast food workers getting higher wages, reason being it would cause the *bleep* food sold to increase in price.
Just maybe people will actually make better & healthier choices.

And that's easy for you to say because you have other options. Do some reading. McDonald's and Burger King feed millions of people around the world every day. Even in the US and Canada, that don't have access to other options. Think about it. Close down a few thousand locations because some brainless warm tummies made those locations unviable, or worse keep those locations open but jack up food prices, and you have hundreds of thousands of people starving. It's that simple.

The Warm Tummy brigade never understands. There are negative consequences to decisions that you make just because it causes a flow in your liberal tummies. Usually always bad consequences.
All of those people suffering from TDS that still say that Hillary won the 2016 US election because she won the popular vote - I expect you to fill out your Conservative party membership forms today, and support Andrew Scheer as the actual PM of Canada.

Pete Podoski likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 30th, 2019, 8:26 am

And if you want starter jobs to pay a completely invented inflated salary without understanding any of the consequences purely because it gives you an uber-sanctimonious glow in your tummy, this makes you a completely naive and insanely stupid person.

Pete Podoski likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby JLives » Jan 30th, 2019, 9:37 am

This isn't the 80's. Starter jobs no longer exist nor should they. Work is work.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6558 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada