Burger King closes three months after it unionizes

Re: Burger King closes three months after it unionizes

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 9:49 am

Slowly entry level positions are being eliminated, I guess it started fuel stations.
Going from full service to self serve.... bank cashiers to atm's.... now self checkers & self ordering at fast food places, this will continue.
Best thing is stay in school & pick a trade or profession that won't easily be taken over by technology (or be the one building that technology).
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9087 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:18 pm

JLives wrote:This isn't the 80's. Starter jobs no longer exist nor should they. Work is work.

This is nonsense.
All of those people suffering from TDS that still say that Hillary won the 2016 US election because she won the popular vote - I expect you to fill out your Conservative party membership forms today, and support Andrew Scheer as the actual PM of Canada.

2 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24294 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm

JLives wrote:This isn't the 80's. Starter jobs no longer exist nor should they. Work is work.

They sure do exist. Everyone has to start some where. The defining factor is that its up to the individual to move on and upwards :up:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5108 posts

Postby Venkman » Jan 30th, 2019, 12:50 pm

OKkayak wrote:And if they don't like what they're being paid. Go out and look for a better wage. Take online courses to help you learn a skill. Make the sacrifices that so many of us have to improve our financial lives. It's not easy but everyone can do it, it's up to them.

Not true.
Venkman
Fledgling

Liked in: 226 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Venkman wrote:Not true.

You're right, the people who have no self determination can't and won't.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby JLives » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:30 pm

OKkayak wrote:They sure do exist. Everyone has to start some where. The defining factor is that its up to the individual to move on and upwards :up:

That's a tshirt slogan, not an economic reality. Yay for bootstraps and all that though. I was raised by a young widow and experienced true poverty growing up. Despite that, I went to post secondary, while working and having a newborn baby. Now I'm a successful career woman in a male dominated industry who owns a house and has a lifestyle most people dream about. And I'm just getting started. I get that hard work can lead to upward mobility (and you *bleep* can stop calling leftists lazy people wanting handouts btw).

My reality is not everyone's though. There are SO many contributing factors to inability to succeed. Lack of affordable housing is a HUGE one. Lack of transportation. Access to education. Physical impairments. Mental health issues. Lack of childcare. And on and on. And I know you are rolling your eyes and considering these excuses to figure out or that they should have planned life out better. But it's not like that for a lot of people.

They take whatever job they can get and clock in/clock out every day just to keep a roof over their head. Calling their work starter positions is insulting. It's work, HARD work. I've met the public and a lot of them suck. It's certainly not a job I would want to do. And here they are working for companies run by billionaires and they get to hear that it's the owners who are the hard workers, and that's why they have the big bucks. When in reality it's the actual people working the floor keeping the cash rolling in. They deserve (not to be confused with entitled to) a basic living for their work and they have EARNED every penny of it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Venkman likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6558 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Now that is just simply not true !

With thinking like that it seems some think they should just magically receive the
same wage as a 35 yr. veteran in a high stress, personal and physically demanding
career.

I
Last edited by ferri on Jan 30th, 2019, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3850 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:56 pm

GordonH wrote:Best thing is stay in school & pick a trade or profession that won't easily be taken over by technology (or be the one building that technology).

Yup, don't be a rock truck driver in a mine at a camp job.
Own the computer program that runs the driverless rock truck
at a mine.

For an example.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

OKkayak likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3850 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 1:57 pm

JLives wrote:That's a tshirt slogan, not an economic reality.

It is the reality, if you choose to accept it or not.
JLives wrote:I was raised by a young widow and experienced true poverty growing up. Despite that, I went to post secondary, while working and having a newborn baby. Now I'm a successful career woman in a male dominated industry who owns a house and has a lifestyle most people dream about.

Look at your post. My mom was alone. I was raised in true poverty. I was a single mom. Careers are male dominated. All excuses that people use to cover up their own lack of self determination. Yet, you didn't see them excuses, you saw them as challenges to overcome, thats self determination and the entire point. When one has a
JLives wrote:And I'm just getting started.

Thats awesome to hear :smt045
JLives wrote:I get that hard work can lead to upward mobility (and you *bleep* can stop calling leftists lazy people wanting handouts btw).

People who expect to be given money for the work that others have done is by definition, lazy.
JLives wrote:My reality is not everyone's though.

No one's realty is anyone else's.
JLives wrote:There are SO many contributing factors to inability to succeed.

There are many contributing factors that can make it more difficult, but only one that makes one fail
JLives wrote:Lack of affordable housing is a HUGE one.

Move. Downsize. Roommates.
JLives wrote:Lack of transportation.

Transit. Bike. Walk.
JLives wrote:Access to education.

Open source programs. Online.
JLives wrote:Physical impairments. Mental health issues.

If one can flip a burger one can become a manager or learn other skills.
JLives wrote:Lack of childcare.

Friends. Family.
JLives wrote:And on and on.

Yup, instead of trying to overcome a hurdle, it's just easier to blame it and give up.
JLives wrote:And I know you are rolling your eyes and considering these excuses to figure out or that they should have planned life out better. But it's not like that for a lot of people.

They are excuses. If others can overcome every single one of those hurdles, so can others.
JLives wrote:They take whatever job they can get and clock in/clock out every day just to keep a roof over their head. Calling their work starter positions is insulting.

Hold on there, thats not what I said. I specifically said that the defining factor is what one makes out of it. No where did I say anything insulting about anyone's position or job.
JLives wrote:It's work, HARD work. I've met the public and a lot of them suck. It's certainly not a job I would want to do. And here they are working for companies run by billionaires and they get to hear that it's the owners who are the hard workers, and that's why they have the big bucks. When in reality it's the actual people working the floor keeping the cash rolling in. They deserve (not to be confused with entitled to) a basic living for their work and they have EARNED every penny of it.

Where did I say anything about anyone not having earned or not deserved any penny that they have worked for?

- James Tiberius Kirk

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jan 30th, 2019, 2:44 pm

JLives wrote:[(and you *bleep* can stop calling leftists lazy people wanting handouts btw).

Or option 2: you leftist *bleeps* can stop being lazy and demanding hand-outs, and try taking on some personal responsibility.

Calling their work starter positions is insulting.

This is more apologist nonsense. Of course these jobs in fast food places are starter jobs. That's why they are for teens with no experience. They can learn fast with no prior skills, and then move up the chain. Anyone who doesn't understand this is just denying reality.

It's work, HARD work.

Is it though? To lazy hand-out demanding leftists everything is hard work. I can think of a lot of jobs that are starter jobs that are a lot harder than McDonald's. Try roofing in July sometime.
All of those people suffering from TDS that still say that Hillary won the 2016 US election because she won the popular vote - I expect you to fill out your Conservative party membership forms today, and support Andrew Scheer as the actual PM of Canada.

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24294 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Little off topic:
Company out in Winfield looking for 50 employees, above minimum wage starting.
Link to the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80953
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

OKkayak likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Venkman » Jan 30th, 2019, 3:41 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
It's work, HARD work.

Is it though? To lazy hand-out demanding leftists everything is hard work. I can think of a lot of jobs that are starter jobs that are a lot harder than McDonald's. Try roofing in July sometime.

It's running around a busy environment on slippery floors, from grease, while trying to keep a ton of orders straight and dealing with angry customers. It doesn't take a specialized skill set but it's definitely hard work.
Venkman
Fledgling

Liked in: 226 posts

Postby Pete Podoski » Jan 30th, 2019, 4:01 pm

GordonH wrote:Little off topic:
Company out in Winfield looking for 50 employees, above minimum wage starting.
Link to the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80953

And then the left wing crazies on here will rush in to get union cards signed, and the place will close its doors.
Tax. Borrow. Spend. Justin Trudeau's platform is raising taxes and accumulating another $94,000,000,000 in debt.

3 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Übergod

Liked in: 2708 posts

Postby Symbonite » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I really hope they go after the union about this...They were shown rainbows and unicorns....all they got after was a paper bag full of ....well...stuff
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

2 people like this post.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 992 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 30th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Symbonite wrote:I really hope they go after the union about this...They were shown rainbows and unicorns....all they got after was a paper bag full of ....well...stuff

Chances are good the union will not take responsibility or blame for everyone losing their jobs.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Canada