Burger King closes three months after it unionizes

Re: Burger King closes three months after it unionizes

Postby JLives » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:10 pm

OKkayak wrote:Look at your post. My mom was alone. I was raised in true poverty. I was a single mom. Careers are male dominated. All excuses that people use to cover up their own lack of self determination. Yet, you didn't see them excuses, you saw them as challenges to overcome, thats self determination and the entire point. When one has a

I never said I was a single Mom, just said Mom. The only reason I was able to what I did is because my partner's Mom lived with us. I was lucky. My own Mom went from stay at home young Mom to sole provider in an instant, with no skillset. She was never able to get passed that, and it wasn't because she was lazy.

I specified male dominated industry as I've found a lot of people tend to think I must be a home care worker or nurse if I just say "career". My current position is 10% female which does present additional challenges, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. Not an excuse, a reality.

My main point of all of it though, is that I do indeed understand and appreciate the value of hard work in the face of life's challenges, as there are many on here who seem to think I'm a welfare taking communist. I'm also able to simultaneously understand that life is different for other people and have empathy for their individual circumstances.

Such as:
OKkayak wrote:People who expect to be given money for the work that others have done is by definition, lazy.

Agreed, that's why I consider billionaires to be lazy and unnecessary. They live off the fruits of other's labour.

OKkayak wrote:Move. Downsize. Roommates.

Move where? Downsize where? Will they let you bring in 14 roommates so you can actually each afford to pay a share of rent? Do you even understand how serious our housing crisis is? We have families living in the bushes because they can't find housing. And it's pretty hard to "just move" if you have no money, vehicle, place to go and are leaving any sort of stable resources (family childcare?) that you may have access to.

OKkayaks wrote: Transit. Bike. Walk.

That's great if you work in the daytime and live in downtown Kelowna and can afford to pay for it. How's a night shift worker living in the outskirts of Salmon Arm getting around? Your answer also completely disregards people with any sort of mobility issue.

OKkayaks wrote:Open source programs. Online.

I'm sure there's a lineup of places accepting degrees from open sources. And if you have no internet or can't afford to pay for it? Or live somewhere where it's not available? Or are not intelligent/capable enough to figure out how to do that in the first place?

OKkayaks wrote: If one can flip a burger one can become a manager or learn other skills.

Is this seriously your response to how people can overcome an endless variety of physical or mental impairments and illness? I'll give you a mulligan on this one, it deserves some actual thought.

OKkayaks wrote: Friends. Family.

You are WAY out of touch with the logistics of childcare that people are dealing with. I don't know about you but my friends and family currently all have jobs. Then there's the people who don't have friends and family to begin with. Do you know how long wait lists are for registered centers? Years.

OKkayaks wrote:Hold on there, thats not what I said. I specifically said that the defining factor is what one makes out of it. No where did I say anything insulting about anyone's position or job.

Where did I say anything about anyone not having earned or not deserved any penny that they have worked for?

Alright then. Let's give them the dignity of a living wage for the work that they do and stop calling their jobs entry level.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Venkman likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5974 posts

Postby Venkman » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:34 pm

JLives wrote:I'm sure there's a lineup of places accepting degrees from open sources. And if you have no internet or can't afford to pay for it? Or live somewhere where it's not available? Or are not intelligent/capable enough to figure out how to do that in the first place?

I don't mean to steal your thunder, and I'm not sure if it should be a separate thread, but internet can be extremely expensive especially for people earning lower wages.

I agree, I'm not sure how people are supposed to take online courses to better themselves unless there's quite a bit of money saved to pay for a huge bill each month and that's assuming Telus / Shaw actually installs it right and there won't be outages or login issues.

Saying people should leech wi-fi from some place is stupid and isn't taking into account the the strong connection necessary to send documents and the time necessary to complete course modules. Of course, a big enough screen is also necessary for a lot of people so some dinky phone usually won't cut it. Add in the susceptibility of PCs to viruses and the general lack of knowledge most people have about how internet actually works and how to keep their devices safe and there's a nightmare situation brewing.
Venkman

Liked in: 65 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:47 pm

JLives wrote:Agreed, that's why I consider billionaires to be lazy and unnecessary. They live off the fruits of other's labour.

No, they are living off the fruits of their own personal commitment, self discipline and willingness to improve their lives through their own hard work and sacrifices.

JLives wrote:Is this seriously your response to how people can overcome an endless variety of physical or mental impairments and illness? I'll give you a mulligan on this one, it deserves some actual thought.

Think very carefully about this topic and think very carefully about my post. If someone is capable of flipping a burger they are more than capable of getting out and improving their job and life.

JLives wrote:Move where? Downsize where? Will they let you bring in 14 roommates so you can actually each afford to pay a share of rent? Do you even understand how serious our housing crisis is? We have families living in the bushes because they can't find housing. And it's pretty hard to "just move" if you have no money, vehicle, place to go and are leaving any sort of stable resources (family childcare?) that you may have access to.

That's great if you work in the daytime and live in downtown Kelowna and can afford to pay for it. How's a night shift worker living in the outskirts of Salmon Arm getting around? Your answer also completely disregards people with any sort of mobility issue.

I'm sure there's a lineup of places accepting degrees from open sources. And if you have no internet or can't afford to pay for it? Or live somewhere where it's not available? Or are not intelligent/capable enough to figure out how to do that in the first place?

You are WAY out of touch with the logistics of childcare that people are dealing with. I don't know about you but my friends and family currently all have jobs. Then there's the people who don't have friends and family to begin with. Do you know how long wait lists are for registered centers? Years.

And the excuses keep on rollin' in. Bottom line is this, if there is a will, there is always a way, and this is proven time and time and time and time again by people who are more than willing to give them selves a better future. But, this is 2019. Hey, its the age of entitlement. Big old mean CEO who started out with nothing and worked his *bleep* off, how dare he make so much money, blah, blah, blah!
JLives wrote:Alright then. Let's give them the dignity of a living wage for the work that they do and stop calling their jobs entry level.
Do you even read what others post or do you just mumble jumble peoples words around at random? Once again, I specifically said the defining factor is what makes one out of it (the job). If one is comfortable where they are, that's cool but if one takes a job and see's it as a starting point, hell, thats cool too and that is the defining difference, what one makes out of a job.

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1524 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Venkman wrote:I don't mean to steal your thunder, and I'm not sure if it should be a separate thread, but internet can be extremely expensive especially for people earning lower wages.

I agree, I'm not sure how people are supposed to take online courses to better themselves unless there's quite a bit of money saved to pay for a huge bill each month and that's assuming Telus / Shaw actually installs it right and there won't be outages or login issues.

Saying people should leech wi-fi from some place is stupid and isn't taking into account the the strong connection necessary to send documents and the time necessary to complete course modules. Of course, a big enough screen is also necessary for a lot of people so some dinky phone usually won't cut it. Add in the susceptibility of PCs to viruses and the general lack of knowledge most people have about how internet actually works and how to keep their devices safe and there's a nightmare situation brewing.

Geezus!

All Okanagan Regional Library branches offer free Internet access on designated library computers, which include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).

Printing is available from these computers in all branches, and costs $0.25 per page.

Customers with a valid library card are allowed up to one hour of free Internet access per day on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability.

Visitors to our library system are welcome and allowed one hour per day use with a guest pass.

Free unlimited Wi-Fi access is available to customers who provide their own equipment. No library card is required!

http://www.orl.bc.ca/using-the-library/ ... net-access
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby Venkman » Jan 30th, 2019, 11:57 pm

^Sigh, your point? A library offers an hour of internet time, awesome. Lots of people, myself included, take longer than an hour to complete a course module.

If you're saying someone can quickly respond to work e-mails at a library then sure, but try completing some accounting course module within an hour to 'better yourself cuz it's that damn easy' and you'll likely have a really difficult time although I'm sure lots of people lie about their prowess to directly understand course material without the need to re-read anything.
Venkman

Postby OKkayak » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:01 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2019, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby Venkman » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:08 am

*removed*

My laptop can barely run a lot of academic webpages. I guess I'm just being lazy and need to save up $600+ for a decent one that can actually be used for schooling. I'll get right on that when I can find a bus to Burger King.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2019, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.

Vacancyrate likes this post.
Venkman

Postby OKkayak » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:11 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2019, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jan 31st, 2019, 5:45 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2019, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

2 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4304 posts

Postby whitecandle » Jan 31st, 2019, 7:13 am

*removed*
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Liked in: 114 posts

Postby JLives » Jan 31st, 2019, 8:55 am

*removed*
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5974 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 31st, 2019, 11:14 am

Venkman wrote:^Sigh, your point? A library offers an hour of internet time, awesome. Lots of people, myself included, take longer than an hour to complete a course module.

If you're saying someone can quickly respond to work e-mails at a library then sure, but try completing some accounting course module within an hour to 'better yourself cuz it's that damn easy' and you'll likely have a really difficult time although I'm sure lots of people lie about their prowess to directly understand course material without the need to re-read anything.

Read the last line. Library has unlimited access to anyone who brings their laptop.
Venkman wrote:*removed*

My laptop can barely run a lot of academic webpages. I guess I'm just being lazy and need to save up $600+ for a decent one that can actually be used for schooling. I'll get right on that when I can find a bus to Burger King.

Shop for a refurbished or open box model, comes with warranty, are more than capable and can be had for less than half your $600. Any laptop on the market, new or used is more than capable at running "academic" webpages.

4star60 likes this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Postby Symbonite » Jan 31st, 2019, 1:49 pm

GordonH wrote:
Symbonite wrote:I really hope they go after the union about this...They were shown rainbows and unicorns....all they got after was a paper bag full of ....well...stuff

Chances are good the union will not take responsibility or blame for everyone losing their jobs.

Of course...they will just say sorry..we tried....hope you find new jobs!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 834 posts

Previous

Return to Canada