Canadians have low taxes

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/personal-income-tax-rate

A few samples:

Germany 47.5%

Australia 45%

South Korea 40%

United States 37%

Mexico 35%

Canada 33%

But... the ATWs will never have low enough taxes...

We do have reasonable taxes in Canada, just a tad on the low side actually. IF Harper and crew had not recklessly bought votes with unnecessary tax cuts and wrecked our string of paying down the national debt, it would be better.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10432
Likes: 2708 posts
Liked in: 10932 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby kgcayenne » Feb 3rd, 2019, 6:10 pm

I have posted this re-freakin-peatedly over the last cotton-pickin’ DECADE: as a person who has had opportunity to process payroll for more than 20 years, our personal income taxes have been declining for at least that bloody long.

Where we pay more is in all the consumer *bleep* we are addicted to buying. Want to cut down your taxes? Stop spending on unnecessary consumer shiznit.

About ten years ago, I created a table & graph using CRA deductions tables to post here, kudos to whomever finds the damn thing.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13860
Likes: 2436 posts
Liked in: 4674 posts
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby Omnitheo » Feb 3rd, 2019, 6:22 pm

User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 5984
Likes: 9260 posts
Liked in: 4934 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 3rd, 2019, 6:33 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:1: liberal spending is less than conservative spending.


Liberal math. It doesn't add up. Stay in school, don't smoke drugs, listen to the teacher (unless he's a part-time drama teacher with nice hair and fancy socks).


2019 FES estimates $344.1 Billion

2018 Total expenditures $338.5 Billion (Projected)

2017 Total expenditures 330.2 billion (Projected)[1]
332.6 billion (Actual)[2]

2016 Total expenditures 317.1 billion (Projected)[1]
312.5 billion (Actual)[2]


2015 Total expenditures 288.9 billion (Projected)[1][2][3]
298.3 billion (Actual)[4]

2014 Total expenditures 279.2 billion (Projected)[1]
282.9 billion (Actual)[3][4]

2013 Total expenditures 282.6 billion (Projected)[1]
279.7 billion (Actual)[2][3]

2012 Total expenditures C$276.1 billion[1]

2011 Total expenditures C$276.0 billion[1]

2010 Total expenditures C$280.5 billion[1]

2009 Total expenditures C$274.2 billion[1]

2008 Total expenditures C$237.4 billion[1]

2007 Total expenditures C$232.8 billion[1]

2006 Total expenditures C$222.2 billion[1]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Cana ... ral_budget


Ah yes, CONservative math: do not account for inflation or population growth [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

Add it up buddy, the Liberals have spent on average a lower % of GDP (which accounts for both) than Harper and the COnservatives did in the bungle decade.

From your own numbers, the CONservatives increased spending by over 30% - were they "spending like drunken sailors"???

It costs $$$ to keep the economy rolling and provide the necessary services to support our excellent standard of living in Canada. Yup, Canada was very recently ranked #1 in the world for "Quality of life". Way to go Liberals!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10432
Likes: 2708 posts
Liked in: 10932 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby ninetyninepct » Feb 4th, 2019, 12:47 am

Remember, Bc has had a carbon tax for several years already.[/quote]

BC carbon taxation has provided absolutely no benefit to anyone. Horgan even stated last Summer when asked about his increase of the BC Carbon Taxation that he was putting it in General revenues as it did nothing for climate, that it was just a tax. I have searched and searched and can find no statistics or records of how much the BC Carbon Taxation has lowered the pollution levels in India or China. The huge fires we had last year, the heavy rains and flooding this winter, the big snow warnings and avalanches were all supposed to be stopped by Carbon Taxes. FAIL.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling
 
Posts: 246
Likes: 416 posts
Liked in: 272 posts
Joined: Aug 31st, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby Gixxer » Feb 4th, 2019, 5:53 am

The BC carbon tax has done lots for the province. How do you think improvements to BC highways have been made? You know like the one at the north end of Kelowna. How much in taxes were collected from outside visitors driving on BC highways before the BC carbon?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4662
Likes: 933 posts
Liked in: 1761 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby jimmy4321 » Feb 4th, 2019, 6:03 am

You got to pay to play, the Cons want all the benefits with little tax revenue, at least not from their pockets.
Talk about entitled! :200:

3 people like this post.
jimmy4321
Guru
 
Posts: 5528
Likes: 1496 posts
Liked in: 2506 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby Ka-El » Feb 4th, 2019, 8:22 am

Dimples and the Cons want us all to believe that if you cut taxes enough the budget will balance itself :smt045
All of those people that still say Hillary lost the 2016 US election despite winning the popular vote - I expect you all to rip up
your Conservative party membership forms today, and stop whining about the idea Andrew Scheer will ever be PM of Canada.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 7890
Likes: 4635 posts
Liked in: 6909 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby Pete Podoski » Feb 4th, 2019, 8:49 am

hobbyguy wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:Liberal math. It doesn't add up. Stay in school, don't smoke drugs, listen to the teacher (unless he's a part-time drama teacher with nice hair and fancy socks).


2019 FES estimates $344.1 Billion

2018 Total expenditures $338.5 Billion (Projected)

2017 Total expenditures 330.2 billion (Projected)[1]
332.6 billion (Actual)[2]

2016 Total expenditures 317.1 billion (Projected)[1]
312.5 billion (Actual)[2]


2015 Total expenditures 288.9 billion (Projected)[1][2][3]
298.3 billion (Actual)[4]

2014 Total expenditures 279.2 billion (Projected)[1]
282.9 billion (Actual)[3][4]

2013 Total expenditures 282.6 billion (Projected)[1]
279.7 billion (Actual)[2][3]

2012 Total expenditures C$276.1 billion[1]

2011 Total expenditures C$276.0 billion[1]

2010 Total expenditures C$280.5 billion[1]

2009 Total expenditures C$274.2 billion[1]

2008 Total expenditures C$237.4 billion[1]

2007 Total expenditures C$232.8 billion[1]

2006 Total expenditures C$222.2 billion[1]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Cana ... ral_budget


Ah yes, CONservative math: do not account for inflation or population growth [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

Add it up buddy, the Liberals have spent on average a lower % of GDP (which accounts for both) than Harper and the COnservatives did in the bungle decade.

From your own numbers, the CONservatives increased spending by over 30% - were they "spending like drunken sailors"???

It costs $$$ to keep the economy rolling and provide the necessary services to support our excellent standard of living in Canada. Yup, Canada was very recently ranked #1 in the world for "Quality of life". Way to go Liberals!


What a pile of steamy coilers you just posted hobbyguy.

Trudeau's drunken spend fest has left Canada in a very, very vulnerable position.

Harper's ability to navigate a worst-in-80-years recession with minor stimulus spending is legendary across the G20.

There's no doubt that Harper was far superior to Trudeau's group of jackasses that have Canadians teetering within $200 of insolvency.

Of course, no one expects the uneducated Liberal peanut chuckers to grasp what we're saying here, so I'm likely peeing in the wind.
Tax. Borrow. Spend. Justin Trudeau's platform is raising taxes and accumulating another $94,000,000,000 in debt.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Pete Podoski
Übergod
 
Posts: 1126
Likes: 2297 posts
Liked in: 2708 posts
Joined: Jul 16th, 2018, 9:13 am

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby floppi » Feb 4th, 2019, 9:16 am

Pete Podoski wrote:
What a pile of steamy coilers you just posted hobbyguy.

Trudeau's drunken spend fest has left Canada in a very, very vulnerable position.

Harper's ability to navigate a worst-in-80-years recession with minor stimulus spending is legendary across the G20.

There's no doubt that Harper was far superior to Trudeau's group of jackasses that have Canadians teetering within $200 of insolvency.

Of course, no one expects the uneducated Liberal peanut chuckers to grasp what we're saying here, so I'm likely peeing in the wind.


What your doing is peeing into the wind and soaking your pants if you think Harper navigated us through the 2008/2009 recession. If it wasn't for Mark Carney and the opposition parties revolting again Harper's response to the recession, our recession would have been much worse than the American's. Who do you think forced Harper into those minor stimulus spendings? In fact he wanted to do the opposite like the bonehead he was and is. I guess this is what peeps mean by partisan revisionist history [icon_lol2.gif] .

5 people like this post.
floppi
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3861
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 1278 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby Omnitheo » Feb 4th, 2019, 10:56 am

dontrump wrote:lets be very clear for you liberal socialist knotheads out there The Canadian medicine system is FAR inferior to the US system
I simply don't know where or how one gets off saying Canadas superior?? the fact that for the working fully employed none union etc person they have to pay for insurance and we don't is irrelevant to the unbelievable (great) usa health care available but yes expensive for sure ;;;Both nations supply free medical to the rest of societys dead beats

we definatly pay for medical albeit by huge indirect taxes on booze, food ,FUELS etc the overall cost of living in the uSA is 50% cheaper than Canada in most states and citys etc (some exceptions regarding lodging)


This is a joke right?



No Canadian worries about losing their home if they get sick. Some of the best medical procedures in the world were developed here. (Amusingly Rand Paul is coming to Canada for his hernia surgery)

The reality is that the American system is far more expensive, and far less effective. It is a failed model. You are out of your mind if you think the US system is in any way superior to ours.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 5984
Likes: 9260 posts
Liked in: 4934 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby OKkayak » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:57 am

Omnitheo wrote:This is a joke right?



No Canadian worries about losing their home if they get sick. Some of the best medical procedures in the world were developed here. (Amusingly Rand Paul is coming to Canada for his hernia surgery)

The reality is that the American system is far more expensive, and far less effective. It is a failed model. You are out of your mind if you think the US system is in any way superior to ours.

Too bad we have people dying because it takes two years to get a MRI or surgery.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
User avatar
OKkayak
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3824
Likes: 3991 posts
Liked in: 5108 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby Omnitheo » Feb 4th, 2019, 11:58 am

Is that so? Care to post the statistics on that?

ETA, a quick google search turned up this page of responses to a study published by the Fraser Institue.

https://www.quora.com/Have-tens-of-thou ... are-system
The Fraser Institute published a study on waiting times and mortality in Canada between 1993 and 2009 which estimated that approximately 44,000 (median value) Canadians (confidence interval of between 25,000 and 63,000 Canadians) died due to waiting times.

The results were strongest for female deaths rather than all Canadian deaths. An extra mortality factor of 0.18 avoidable female deaths per 100,000 population.

Looked at another way, the extra deaths equated to 2.5% female deaths over the 16 year period (1.2% of all male + female mortality).

So, 44000/16 = 2750 extra deaths per year over the 16 years of the study looked at (1562 to 3937)

So, no, not tens of thousands dying regularly but an aggregate over 16 years in the tens of thousands.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/d ... canada.pdf

Now if you look at annual deaths due to lack of medical insurance in the USA, a 2009 study found 45000 deaths annually in the USA

“New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage”
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... -coverage/

This annual death rate was 2.5 times higher than an Institute of Medicine study in 2002.

So Canada vs USA:

1600 to 4000 estimated deaths per year due to waiting times in Canada

45000 estimated deaths per year for having inadequate Heath insurance in USA.

Now, what you have to realize is that studies such as these are projections and you cannot attach direct causation to the numbers.


So even if we look at the results of the historically biased cherry picking Fraser Institute, their numbers regarding Canadians dying as a result of lack of access to healthcare still pales in comparison to the deaths in the US due to not having access to Healthcare. And on top of that ours is free. Nobody here needs to choose between their house or their treatment.

Ka-El likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 5984
Likes: 9260 posts
Liked in: 4934 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby OKkayak » Feb 4th, 2019, 12:08 pm

“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
User avatar
OKkayak
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3824
Likes: 3991 posts
Liked in: 5108 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Canadians have low taxes

Postby kgcayenne » Feb 4th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Omnitheo wrote:The reality is that the American system is far more expensive, and far less effective. It is a failed model. You are out of your mind if you think the US system is in any way superior to ours.


It is only superior in the minds of those who support genocide by way of socioeconomic orchestration.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13860
Likes: 2436 posts
Liked in: 4674 posts
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm
Location: West Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests