CP Train derailment

Re: CP Train derailment

Postby lesliepaul » Feb 5th, 2019, 7:12 pm

"Not anything the crew did"...…...is the latest statement. That could change once the event recorder is recovered and downloaded. What CP and Transport Canada will look at now is the crew that got the train to the location and parked it there after running out of time. Were all the rules of "leaving a train unattended for X number of hours" adhered to by that 1st crew?
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1290 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 5th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Zoso wrote:Why is a go fund me supporting the lost . The train outfit should be covering every need ...

Why does it matter? Its of no-one's concern expect those involved and choose to donate.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5108 posts

Postby Zoso » Feb 6th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Did the rail company not say to look up go fund me to donate? I may be wrong , its not like it was a couple hikers that were misfortunate . It was a run away train and those three guys probably had the most terrifying ride in history . Train outfit should be taking EXCELLENT care of the families .
Zoso
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 311 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 7th, 2019, 12:08 am

Zoso wrote:Did the rail company not say to look up go fund me to donate? I may be wrong , its not like it was a couple hikers that were misfortunate . It was a run away train and those three guys probably had the most terrifying ride in history . Train outfit should be taking EXCELLENT care of the families .

The page was started by fellow employees to help with the sudden burden families will face and in no way means that CP will be trying to get off the hook with any compensation required of them.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5108 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 7th, 2019, 8:34 am

The rail line is now open again.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12814 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Feb 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm

It continues to amaze me that the rail industry gets away with ongoing problem with brakes.

Railway brakes require air pressure to apply them.

Highway tractor trailer air brakes require air pressure to release them.

How difficult would it be for railways to hybridize some locomotives and cars for use in higher risk areas?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

dirtybiker likes this post.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 10932 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Feb 10th, 2019, 12:48 pm

hobbyguy wrote:It continues to amaze me that the rail industry gets away with ongoing problem with brakes.

Railway brakes require air pressure to apply them.

Highway tractor trailer air brakes require air pressure to release them.

How difficult would it be for railways to hybridize some locomotives and cars for use in higher risk areas?

Railway "cars" require air pressure to keep the brakes RELEASED. That is the "safety" part of rail cars. Every rail car has an air system consisting of a pipe (trainline), rubber air hoses to connect each car in a train and air tanks that are pressurized to aid or speed up the charging of the brake system after air has been released to slow or stop a train.

A 100 car train is moving along and an "air hose" comes apart...……...entire train loses its air (emergency application)……...no air in system equals ALL brakes on every car get applied including the locomotives. Air gauges on locomotives will show how much air has been released from the trainline to aid in slowing or stopping. Emergency application of the brake system, gauges go to ZERO.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1290 posts

Postby Noisy Boater » Feb 10th, 2019, 8:06 pm

As a frequent traveler through there I have been watching the cleanup. There are dump truck and pups hauling grain somewhere for recycling. There are numerous large excavators with a scissor cutting head that cuts up the cars to load in some super b salvage trucks hauling to Calgary. The locomotive in the picture has been squared up and looks ready to go. I overheard some locals saying the youngest fellow was just starting his new career. It was his first time on a train. I also spoke with an engineer and conductor from Revelstoke who were switching in Golden. He said the black box will tell the story. Very sad and I passed along my condolences to them . The crews stay at the same hotel as I do and I see them every time I stay. The carnage is visible from the hwy if you are up high enough. You can see it on the way uphill on the right and you must be up higher to see on the way down. This will take a long time to clean up as there are close to 90 cars damaged.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ?

2 people like this post.
Noisy Boater
Board Meister

Liked in: 341 posts

Previous

Return to Canada