Breaking: Trudeau, Raybould, SNC, and PMO Corruption Scandal

Re: Breaking: Trudeau, Raybould, SNC, and PMO Corruption Sca

Postby Pete Podoski » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Glacier wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-davie-shipyard-breach-trust-1.5014538

A pretrial hearing in the breach-of-trust case against Vice-Admiral Mark Norman took a sudden political turn Monday when the defence alleged that prosecutors have been talking trial strategy with the bureaucratic arm of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's office.

The federal government is fighting defence requests for the release of notes from meetings between officials at the Privy Council Office (PCO) and Crown lawyers.

In an email sent to Norman's lawyers on Friday, one of the lead prosecutors, Barbara Mercier, said the documents being sought by the defence are going to be censored because they deal with "trial strategy."

That prompted defence counsel Christine Mainville to accuse the Prime Minister's Office of trying to direct the case.

She also said the Crown should not be discussing strategy with PCO — the arm of the bureaucracy that supports the work of the Prime Minister's Office and cabinet — because it instigated the investigation into an alleged leak of cabinet secrets Norman has been accused of orchestrating.

Mainville said the discussion with PCO is "more concerning" than the allegations at the centre of the SNC Lavalin controversy because it involves direct dealings between the PCO and prosecutors.

And the plot thickens.

Trudeau is screwed.

7 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Board Meister

Liked in: 940 posts

Postby Merry » Feb 11th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Ka-El wrote:
Merry wrote: Liberal malfeasance abounds.

Back and forth we go. What to do? We elected the Harper Conservatives in 2006 due to the malfeasance and attitude of arrogance and entitlement of the Paul Martin (and previously Chretien) Liberals, and in 2015 we had to turf Harper for much the same reasons. Now we have this perfectly timed scandal facing the Liberals (already again) and if this brings them down what is going to change? I would vote for the Conservatives again in a heartbeat if they had someone more credible than dimples leading the party.

Although I agree that Scheer was not the best choice for the Conservative Leadership (Rona Ambrose would have been much better), I don't share your view that he'd be equally as bad as Trudeau.

I was one of those leading the call to get rid of Harper, due to his arrogance and inability to consider any point of view other than his own. But I was also one of those who thought that Trudeau was just a pretty faced puppet, whose strings would be pulled by many of the same corrupt insiders that caused the downfall of Trudeau's predecessors. And I think time has proven me correct in that.

Scheer however, while not as charismatic as Trudeau, strikes me as a bit of a plodder, who does have ethical principles, and who will get things done (albeit at his own pace). I don't approve of his closeness to the likes of Poliviere (because I can't stand the way Poliviere does politics) but at the same time I can't honestly say I've observed Scheer adopting the same kind of tactics as Poliviere. So, as long as he continues to be his own man in that regard, I'm not going to hold his choice of friends against him (for now).

The NDP are not even a consideration in the upcoming election; they commited their own political suicide the day they so unceremoniously turfed the best leader they've had in decades.

And the PPR are not going to be a contender to win either. All they'll do is take votes away from the Cons and possibly wind up handing yet another (undeserved) victory to the Libs.

So, when I consider all that I've just said, Scheer is the one who will be getting my vote next time around. Not because he's the perfect choice, but because he's the best of a bad bunch of choices.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 5716 posts

Postby floppi » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Ka-El wrote:
Merry wrote: Liberal malfeasance abounds.

Back and forth we go. What to do? We elected the Harper Conservatives in 2006 due to the malfeasance and attitude of arrogance and entitlement of the Paul Martin (and previously Chretien) Liberals, and in 2015 we had to turf Harper for much the same reasons. Now we have this perfectly timed scandal facing the Liberals (already again) and if this brings them down what is going to change? I would vote for the Conservatives again in a heartbeat if they had someone more credible than dimples leading the party.

I haven't seen any scandals from the Liberals that weren't magnitudes worse and more often than the Harper government. I believe you posted some of those couple of pages ago. It's not close at all!! That's why JT and the Libs still have my support.
It seems time tend to fade peeps memories but I have a binder full of Conservative malfeasance from the last government to remind me. I should post those every few pages just so people will remember how odoriferous, arrogant and horrific they were.

2 people like this post.
floppi
Übergod

Liked in: 547 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:19 pm

I have to say, I agree with Trudeau.

disappointment.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“There's no point in you betraying your future self to gratify your present self. It's a stupid game.”
~Jordan B. Peterson

6 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10787 posts

Postby Urbane » Feb 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

^^ Yes, and I read this re the Norman case:

Brian Platt
@btaplatt

Norman’s lawyer Mainville: “The Prime Minister’s Office, by way of its right arm, the PCO, is dealing directly with the PPSC, and the prosecution service apparently is allowing this to happen.”

The judge jumps in: “So much for the independence of the PPSC.”

10:27 AM - 11 Feb 2019
"Spectemur agendo"

5 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12305 posts

Postby Ka-El » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:26 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5718 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:33 pm

trudeau will ride out this wave just like he did the dastardly helicopter ride. and i find it humorous when people write a long paragraph alleging they were gonna give trudeau a chance - but when there is a bump in the road they auto correct back to their biases anyways. even if that biased choice will be a bad one too.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby Pete Podoski » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Call in the cops. The Crime Minister must be investigated.

Time to call in cops to probe SNC-Lavalin affair

Enough with the games, it is time to call in the police to investigate the allegations of interference and obstruction of justice facing the Prime Minister’s Office.

If you’ve been living under a rock, The Globe and Mail revealed last week that officials in Justin Trudeau’s office allegedly pressured then-attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to go light on construction and engineering giant SNC-Lavalin.

{Snip}

Essentially the PMO is accused of trying to get a good friend off on a corruption charge by interfering with the prosecution.

That kind of obstruction can get you 10 years in jail.

“When I was prosecuting cases, if a politician had ever called me up, I would have put down the phone and called the police,” former attorney general and Crown prosecutor Peter MacKay told me on Sunday.

“I think the police should be looking at this as soon as possible,” MacKay said.

Lest you think that MacKay is being partisan by saying this deserves a look at by the police, the former Harper cabinet minister isn’t alone in thinking this crosses the line.

“A lot of police officers have laid a lot of obstruction of justice charges on a lot of ordinary Canadians, with a lot less evidence than this,” former Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant said last week.

Bryant is a Liberal who served under Dalton McGuinty, the same premier two of Trudeau’s closest advisors — Gerry Butts and Katie Telford — served under.

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, a retired judge turned law professor, also says the RCMP need to be called in.

The Conservatives and NDP have banded together to get to the bottom of this issue and called for an emergency committee meeting this week.

When asked about the allegations directly last Thursday, Trudeau said he didn’t “direct” Wilson-Raybould, but that isn’t the allegation. The story said she was pressured to effectively drop the charges against a Liberal-friendly firm.

Over the last few days, the Liberals have been spending plenty of time talking to the media, anonymously, to admit that conversations with Wilson-Raybould happened but claim it was all above board — trust us.

So, now we know that the original reports that conversations occurred are accurate but we should just take the word of anonymous government sources that it was all within the rules.

Of course, these are the same Liberals who want to dismiss the allegations against them as being untrustworthy because they’re based on anonymous sources.

Some of these anonymous government sources have told the Liberal-friendly Toronto Star that the governing party won’t agree to Opposition demands for that emergency meeting.

Nor will they waive her claim of solicitor-client privilege.

Some legal experts, including previous attorneys general, don’t believe that Wilson-Raybould is bound by privilege in this case. The attorney general is not the lawyer for the PMO and in criminal prosecutions represents the Crown, not the government.

MacKay is in that camp, saying Wilson-Raybould can speak without breaking privilege because neither Trudeau nor his office were her clients while she was leading the prosecution.

“This is a far more serious matter than having Parliament engage in a partisan examination of the subject matter,” MacKay said, reiterating his call for the police to come in.

The man who spent four years as a prosecutor and 18 as an MP, including at the highest levels of government and cabinet, calls the situation that we are in “uncharted waters.”

He’s not wrong.

The PM has spent the last few months defending Canada’s justice system as built on the rule of law, not on special favours for the powerful.

If the Liberals won’t come clean and release everything to the House of Commons through the committee, then we will have no choice.

Call in the cops and lay charges, if necessary.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/li ... alin-affia

2 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Board Meister

Postby Catsumi » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm

^^^^

Maybe the time has come to set up and train a special police force dedicated entirely to government wrongdoing. The Libs alone have created enough work for an army of them.

Investigating the PMO takes policing away from the public, and blown on those who are supposed to oversee law and order in Canada, namely the government.
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3442 posts

Postby Urbane » Feb 11th, 2019, 4:19 pm

On the bright side, kids have an option:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Spectemur agendo"

5 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12305 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Feb 12th, 2019, 6:41 am

There have also been suggestions that a criminal investigation might be in order, including from Michael Bryant, Ontario’s former attorney general and now executive director of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association. Bryant told CTV’s Power Play on Thursday that he “would’ve called 911” if something similar had occurred while he was attorney general.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/liberals-face-multiple-calls-for-investigation-into-alleged-political-interference-in-snc-lavalin-case

4 people like this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 3193 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 12th, 2019, 7:06 am

Somehow, all of this is Harper's fault. Working in co-ordination with the Russians. It's the only real explanation.
How do you destroy a political party? Elect a part-time drama teacher as your leader because of his last name.

2019 - The year we get rid of the Liberals and their drunken farm wife spending.

Pete Podoski likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 18440 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 12th, 2019, 7:10 am

burnedatstake wrote:trudeau will ride out this wave just like he did the dastardly helicopter ride. .

I hope that you are right. With all of the ammunition he is handing to his rivals, he won't get a word in edgewise at the debates. This is perfect if he follows your horrible advice.
How do you destroy a political party? Elect a part-time drama teacher as your leader because of his last name.

2019 - The year we get rid of the Liberals and their drunken farm wife spending.

Pete Podoski likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 18440 posts

Postby Pete Podoski » Feb 12th, 2019, 8:18 am

Despite what hobbyguy keeps saying, there was plenty of concern over Trudeau's tampering with the Criminal Code of Canada to give his elite friends a speeding ticket for corruption.

That concern was shared by opposition and Liberal members.

$unny way$, my friend$. $unny way$.

Even Liberals were in dark on white collar crime exemption

Tom Brodbeck
Published: February 11, 2019

You know government is trying to secretly push a new law through – including one that would shield corporations from criminal sanctions in white collar crime cases – when members of their own caucus aren’t even aware of the changes.

That’s what happened last year when the Trudeau government snuck a criminal code amendment into a 556-page budget implementation bill, leaving Liberal MPs on the finance committee reviewing the bill dumbfounded.

It’s one of the many suspicious and problematic circumstances surrounding allegations that Prime Minster Justin Trudeau last year attempted to politically interfere in the fraud and corruption case of Montreal-based SNC-Lavalin.

The Trudeau government introduced its 2018 budget implementation bill in late March. Trouble is, the finance committee reviewing the bill – including the Liberal chair – had either never heard of the proposed changes that would allow corporations charged with “economic crimes” to escape criminal convictions, or they questioned why it was in a budget bill.

“What I’m hearing to a great extent here is that nobody is arguing against the concept, but there is a huge question of whether this should be in a budget bill,” committee chairman and Liberal MP Wayne Easter said at a May 8 meeting. “Even I will say that.”

Liberal MP Greg Fergus, also on the committee, questioned why government was planning to give companies accused of white collar crimes a “slap on the wrist.” He also admitted he had not seen that part of the budget bill until that day.

“I do have some serious questions about this,” said Fergus. “I have to admit, I did not read this provision before coming here tonight. I got through most of it, but not all of it.”

Opposition MPs on the committee also wanted to know why the proposed criminal code change was hidden in a budget bill and requested it be severed out and put before the justice committee for a proper review.

“I have some deep concerns here,” said Conservative MP Dan Albas. “I would really hope that we could talk about separating this out or at least have the justice committee review this, because this is a fundamental departure from the way we handle the criminal code.”

It never did get severed. The bill was approved by Parliament as is and it received royal assent in June. It became law in September and almost immediately upon proclamation – as if it was ready made for them – SNC-Lavalin applied for an exemption under the new provision.

They were denied that exemption by the public prosecutions branch in October and the rest is history. Trudeau punted then-attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould from her position in January and last week allegations surfaced that the prime minister’s office had tried to interfere in the SNC-Lavalin case.

The confusion by finance committee members around the criminal code changes is important when it comes to trying to unravel this rotten onion. Normally, amendments to the criminal code are contained in justice bills that go to the justice committee for review and consideration. Relevant witnesses show up to make submissions and committee members ask questions and sometimes move amendments.

None of that happened here. A substantive amendment was made to the criminal code that can significantly alter how large Canadian corporations are treated under the law when they’re charged with crimes like fraud and bribery. Yet the change was rushed through Parliament with very little scrutiny and in a highly irregular and inappropriate manner.

{Snip}

The 22-page report from that was released Feb. 22, 2018 with no indication government planned to make any immediate changes. In fact, the report said it would continue to consult and assess whether any changes should be made. But a month later, the so-called deferred prosecution agreement provision was introduced in Parliament, buried deep in a budget bill. Which means government had likely been working on the legislative text for some time.

The question is, what was the rush? There was no need to make this change right away, or at all. However, we also know SNC-Lavalin had its criminal prosecution delayed last fall in anticipation of these changes.

So, why is government rushing important criminal code changes through Parliament, hidden in a budget bill, that appear to be geared towards satisfying the needs of a particular corporation?

These, and many other questions, will hopefully be examined by federal Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion, who announced Monday he plans to investigate the allegations against the PMO.

Because this is rotten to the core.

https://winnipegsun.com/opinion/columni ... -exemption

2 people like this post.
Pete Podoski
Board Meister

Raybould Resigns!

Postby TreeGuy » Feb 12th, 2019, 8:58 am

TreeGuy

Liked in: 3193 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Canada