Re: All Things Scheer

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think we will see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

jimmy4321 wrote:I think we will see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

We can only hope!! You guys better watch with the Harper bashing. He's looking way better now as an option than the idiot in chief we have.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

:spitcoffee: OMG. Big dimples and little dimples [icon_lol2.gif]

(well, at least Andy has Stephen beat in that department)
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Well maybe when Dimples loses Harper can get back in the game and lead the Cons again.
I did vote for him once
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

jimmy4321 wrote: I did vote for him once

I twice voted for Harper, but like most Canadians I voted to get him turfed from power this last election. If little dimples (with the big dimples) gets in because of Trudeau's misfortunes I suspect he will actually make Harper at least look like he was qualified by comparison. Harper at least spent some time working in the mail room before finding a career in politics.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Oddly enough among the reasons I didn't vote for the Cons , Harper was low on the list as there's way more to a party than the leader.
Many of those reasons moved on, some still there.

Preferred Prime Minister
Libs 32.5%
Cons 25.2% :200:

http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploads/ ... Slides.pdf
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Although Scheer wasn't my personal choice for Leader of the Party, I don't understand why certain posters seem to dislike him so much. He seems a fairly affable guy to me, not arrogant like Harper, or full of himself like Trudeau.

Yes, he is a "career politician" but then so was Harper (mail room work doesn't count IMO) and so is Trudeau (a short stint as a drama teacher doesn't exactly make him "one of us workers").

So, while I don't really care all that much for any of them, of the three Scheer seems to me to be the most likeable. If you want to attack him for his politics, well that's one thing, but to try attacking him for not being "likeable" or not as in touch with ordinary folk as the other Leaders, just seems wrong to me. Because it simply isn't true.

If we're judging purely on having once worked for a living outside of politics, then we probably should all vote for Jagmeet Singh who worked as a criminal defense lawyer for several years before becoming a politician. However, despite his "real world" experience, as I'm not convinced Mr. Singh has what it takes to make a good PM, I for one won't be using that non political job experience as one of the criteria when deciding where to cast my vote. But, if it's important to you, then HE'S your man (not Justin).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:Although Scheer wasn't my personal choice for Leader of the Party, I don't understand why certain posters seem to dislike him so much. He seems a fairly affable guy to me, not arrogant like Harper, or full of himself like Trudeau.

Because they are afraid of him Merry. There isn't much mud to sling, so they go with what they can, and make up the rest. One poster kept saying that he's as exciting as burnt coffee, or something equally as dumb. I met Scheer when he was here in Kelowna and I found him really engaging. I would rather take a selfie with someone like that any day than with some vapid goofball like JT. But that's just me.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

i wont vote for scheer for many simple reasons. he is the affable face that isnt harper. but the sleight of hand and policies are still true blue conservative. and considering the swing votes for scheer over max were the religious ones - i wouldnt vote for scheer with a 10 ft pole.
the agenda will be to attack the charter rights of canadians (especially the immigrant ones conservatives dont approve of) and attack the rights of women over their bodies and head scarves.
and then we will also end up with the same *bleep* in a different pile. people whine that trudeau is placating quebec and ignoring alberta. then what will happen is we will be placating alberta again and nothing else.
im happy with the revised child benefit changes which will also change. and i think the tax revenues are important for canada including ones on carbon. which will all be scrapped.
and most of all - i dont want to have a government get in that doesnt like to work for their generous salaries. the history of conservatives is to prorogue at every turn - and then there will be a slew of omnibus packages thrown into a bill right after. that is lazy governing and i wont vote for that.
and i have concerns over a government that would have caved on every demand that trump asked for on trade because the hyperpartisans idolize trump.
then there will be absolutely no media accountability. conservatives will slink out back doors and knee cap the media. and probably scientists again.
people will eventually remember what it was like under conservatives. and will have no choice but to be apart of another red wave across the east of canada. making alberta conservatives a moot point again. which is great. i cant wait for that.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

burnedatstake wrote:
the agenda will be to attack the charter rights of canadians (especially the immigrant ones conservatives dont approve of) and attack the rights of women over their bodies.

how many elections in a row are the Liberal sheep going to peddle this fear-mongering nonsense? People fell for this crapola last time (thankfully not in 2011), they aren't going to fall for it again.

then there will be absolutely no media accountability. conservatives will slink out back doors and knee cap the media.

We saw how friendly the Liberals were with the media, until the media got mean and started reporting the truth. Now, not so much. I do agree that what Harper did was wrong, but to just say that Scheer will be the same is fear-mongering stupidity. Scheer has been much more open with the media than Harper ever was.

and probably scientists again.

Oh yes this nonsense again. Oh yeah, the scientists since being unmuzzled have been really letting loose all right. What a giant pile of garbage.

people will eventually remember what it was like under conservatives.

We already do, and we long for those days again, free of scandal and an airhead um and ahhh actor as our PM.

making alberta conservatives a moot point again. which is great. i cant wait for that.

What about the Conservatives in all of the other provinces? What about them? Why is this great???
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Merry wrote:Although Scheer wasn't my personal choice for Leader of the Party, I don't understand why certain posters seem to dislike him so much. He seems a fairly affable guy to me, not arrogant like Harper, or full of himself like Trudeau.

No, but as the non-partisan pundits have described him, he screams out amateur. Travelling to India as our presumed PM in waiting (back when that was even less likely). Writing letters to the RCMP like a petulant child. Attacking Trudeau for not interfering politically in the Huawei matter and then next attacking him for interfering politically in the SNC Lavalin matter (Which one is it going to be dimples? To interfere or not to interfere?). He is a total amateur. Not to say Trudeau hasn't been a bit of an amateur himself, but there will be little good in replacing one amateur with another come election day.

This is what you get when you have partisans making excuses for their people. Had Harper received a bit more critical feedback from among the ranks during his last tenure maybe he wouldn't have had to be turfed by the electorate. Sadly, however, in partisanville Harper could do no wrong, so it was up to the electorate to correct that. Now we got Trudeau who may very well get turfed this fall, despite his partisan support. If only we had better choices. I've never seen a worse selection.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:No, but as the non-partisan pundits have described him, he screams out amateur.

Which non-partisan pundits were those? You know that he was the Speaker of the House right?

I've never seen a worse selection.

Then you're not really looking very hard.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Oddly enough among the reasons I didn't vote for the Cons , Harper was low on the list as there's way more to a party than the leader.
Many of those reasons moved on, some still there.

Preferred Prime Minister
Libs 32.5%
Cons 25.2% :200:

http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploads/ ... Slides.pdf

Jimmy,

Please don't tell us you voted for Trudeau and the gang. If you did I'll be you wish you had not....
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Ken7 wrote: Please don't tell us you voted for Trudeau and the gang. If you did I'll be you wish you had not....

Not sure about Jimmy, but I can tell you that while I did not directly vote for Trudeau, I did vote for the local candidate with the best chance of ensuring the conservative candidate didn’t win. Like most Canadians, I recognized it was definitely time to remove Harper from office. Now it may be time to remove Trudeau from office. We’ll see what the electorate thinks this fall. Should dimples unfortunately become PM because of the lack of choice we have in qualified candidates (anyone not recognizing that truth is wearing glasses with partisan lenses that are exceptionally thick) then the electorate will have to decide whether or not he stays in office after his first term. It would be nice to be talking about governments we were excited about voting into power instead of discussing the need to vote them out of power, but until we get into that habit (voting them out, “one and you’re done”) they have no reason to meet any standards we might want to be able to expect.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

If Canadians are impressed by what they’ve seen from Scheer personally in response to SNC, they’re doing a pretty good job of hiding it. While Conservative support has now surpassed that of Trudeau’s Liberals, Scheer’s personal numbers remain below Trudeau’s.

The differential in polling outcomes likely exists because people identify Trudeau much more strongly with his party than Scheer with his, and because the SNC debacle has, to date, been driven more by Trudeau’s missteps than Scheer’s interventions.

To wit, Scheer called for Trudeau’s resignation (checks calendar) 12 days ago and Trudeau is (checks http://www.pm.gc.ca) still prime minister. Canadians will have noticed the misfire. (Maclean’s)

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa ... 1552503449
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.

Return to “Canada”