Laboratory Beef

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Laboratory Beef

Post by OKkayak »

Cactusflower wrote:No, and I totally understand your position on this. However, some of us still have those old 'mad scientist' movies etched into our psyche and remember that book, "1984". Don't criticize us seniors for being influenced at a tender age by fictional books and movies.

I think "Soylent Green" would be a much more fitting reference to this topic than "1984" :biggrin:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Okay, there have been just too darn many comments......I can't keep up! My final word on this topic (we all hope, I'm sure) is that I would rather eat veggies such as beans and lentils for protein than something produced in a lab.

Now I'll just wait for the inevitable "We don't have enough land for that!" Well, population control doesn't sound any creepier than lab meat, IMHO.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

OKkayak wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:No, and I totally understand your position on this. However, some of us still have those old 'mad scientist' movies etched into our psyche and remember that book, "1984". Don't criticize us seniors for being influenced at a tender age by fictional books and movies.

I think "Soylent Green" would be a much more fitting reference to this topic than "1984" :biggrin:

Yes, you're right. How could I possibly have missed that one? :up:
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Cactusflower wrote:Okay, there have been just too darn many comments......I can't keep up! My final word on this topic (we all hope, I'm sure) is that I would rather eat veggies such as beans and lentils for protein than something produced in a lab.

Now I'll just wait for the inevitable "We don't have enough land for that!" Well, population control doesn't sound any creepier than lab meat, IMHO.

If everyone ate beans and lentils, there would be plenty of land. These take much less resources to produce than meat.

Ideally, people would get the majority of their nutrition from vegetables, and cut back on meat consumption. But this isn't going to happen. People have an expectation of a specific quality of life, and for people in western civilization, that comes with meat consumption. You can convince some people to be vegetarian, or go vegan, but the general population, and indeed the populations of other developing nations are going to expect meat.

Lab meat is a compromise. It is a solution that provides people what they want, but in a less destructive manner. In the same way that an electric car is providing people a less destructive way to continue with their existing habits, without having to give up that quality of life by switching to a bicycle or bus.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Pretty sure Air Canada has been serving Lab meat, aka mystery meat on their flights for years.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Omnitheo wrote:If everyone ate beans and lentils, there would be plenty of land. These take much less resources to produce than meat.

Boy would that increase the gas emissions...talk about destroy the World! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Bsuds wrote: Boy would that increase the gas emissions...

We'd have to keep the carbon tax
Mordu
Board Meister

Post by Mordu »

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

one of the fun books to read... I still feel the need to take a towel when I travel
I'd rather eat lab meat than lentils. $50 says they will make it taste like chicken
Given how meat at the store is come by ( I pretend it had no former Life) it would be overall nicer to the creatures of the Planet

What will they call it? Leat? Mab?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

normaM wrote:one of the fun books to read... I still feel the need to take a towel when I travel
I'd rather eat lab meat than lentils. $50 says they will make it taste like chicken
Given how meat at the store is come by ( I pretend it had no former Life) it would be overall nicer to the creatures of the Planet

What will they call it? Leat? Mab?

Come on over to my place, Norma. I'll make some lentil soup for you.......YUMMY!
Mordu
Board Meister

Post by Mordu »

From my favorite author.

Word Hoard

Eat any good books lately?

Margaret Atwood's ChickieNobs

http://remotestorage.blogspot.com/2010/ ... enobs.html

"This is the latest," said Crake.

What they were looking at was a large bulblike object that seemed to be covered with stippled whitish-yellow skin. Out of it came twenty thick fleshy tubes, and at the end of each tube another bulb was growing.

"What the hell is it?" said Jimmy.

"Those are chickens," said Crake. "Chicken parts. Just the breasts, on this one. They've got ones that specialize in drumsticks too, twelve to a growth unit."

"But there aren't any heads," said Jimmy. He grasped the concept-- he'd grown up with sus multiorganifer, after all-- but this thing was going too far. At least the pigoons of his childhood hadn't lacked heads.

"That's the head in the middle," said the woman. "There's a mouth opening at the top, they dump nutrients in there. No eyes or beak or anything, they don't need those."

"This is horrible," said Jimmy. The thing was a nightmare. It was like an animal-protein tuber.

"Picture a sea-anemone body plan," said Crake. "That helps."

"But what's it thinking?" said Jimmy.

The woman gave her jocular woodpecker yodel, and explained that they'd removed all the brain functions that had nothing to do with digestion, assimilation, and growth.

"It's sort of like a chicken hookworm," said Crake.

"No need for added growth hormones," said the woman, "the high growth rate's built in. You get chicken breasts in two weeks-- that's a three-week improvement on the most efficient low-light, high-density chicken farming operation so far devised. And the animal-welfare freaks won't be able to say a word, because this thing feels no pain."

"Those kids are going to clean up," said Crake after they'd left. The students at Watson-Crick got half the royalties from anything they invented there. Crake said it was a fierce incentive. "ChickieNobs, they're thinking of calling the stuff."

"Are they on the market yet?" asked Jimmy weakly. He couldn't see eating a ChickieNob. It would be like eating a large wart. But as with the *bleep* implants-- the good ones-- maybe he wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

"They've already got the takeout franchise operation in place," said Crake. "Investors are lining up around the block. They can undercut the price of everyone else."

From Oryx and Crake, chapter 8, section "Wolvogs." (Page 202-203 in my edition.)

After some story-time has passed, Jimmy seems to eat almost nothing other than ChickieNobs Buckets O' Nubbins. Hilariously gross, just like most of the novel.

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Omnitheo wrote:Ideally, people would get the majority of their nutrition from vegetables, and cut back on meat consumption.

Count me out :biggrin:
Cactusflower wrote:Okay, there have been just too darn many comments......I can't keep up! My final word on this topic (we all hope, I'm sure) is that I would rather eat veggies such as beans and lentils for protein than something produced in a lab.

I'm not too keen on the the lab meat idea either, but I'd probably eat that before those disgusting plant based meat substitutes :up:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

OKkayak wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:Ideally, people would get the majority of their nutrition from vegetables, and cut back on meat consumption.

Count me out :biggrin:

I'm not too keen on the the lab meat idea either, but I'd probably eat that before those disgusting plant based meat substitutes :up:

But why would they have to be called 'plant based meat supplements'? You should try my Yukon Baked Beans or Lentil Soup sometime. There are lots of ways to prepare legumes that might even turn you into a vegetarian. Don't knock it until you try it!

(As for me, I'm just a semi-vegetarian. :biggrin: )
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Cactusflower wrote:But why would they have to be called 'plant based meat supplements'? You should try my Yukon Baked Beans or Lentil Soup sometime. There are lots of ways to prepare legumes that might even turn you into a vegetarian. Don't knock it until you try it!

(As for me, I'm just a semi-vegetarian. :biggrin: )

Beans are a great side to meat, not a substitute ;) As for becoming a vegetarian, will never happen :biggrin:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I could become one - don't eat much red meat... but would dislike giving up chicken.
Don't know why they just can't call veggie burgers that instead of " beyond meat". Grossest tasting thing ever.
They need to invent new types of veggies, like lentils that taste like taco chips.

Return to “Canada”