Small-city and rural Canadians could lose their free TV

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Small-city and rural Canadians could lose their free TV

Post by oneh2obabe »

Shaw Communications has asked the CRTC for permission to cut off free television to tens of thousands of Canadians in small cities and rural areas by ending a program to replace signals lost when broadcasters stopped transmitting via analog eight years ago.

In a recent application to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, Shaw's home satellite service advised the broadcast regulator it wanted to terminate the Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS).

Small cities like Kingston, Ont., Brandon, Man., Fort McMurray, Alta., and Kelowna, B.C., would be affected.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Small-city and rural Canadians could lose their free TV

Post by GordonH »

As a kid we had only 2 channels, later a very snowy 3rd channel.

1) BCTV (CTV) clearest
2) CHBC (CBC Affiliate) little snowy
3) Knowledge network, not worth watching due to mostly snow. Plus mostly distance education classes.

Added later: I could be wrong here but I believe KN was Pat McGeer baby
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Remember when we had local tv. Its been a while.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

We always had CBC where I was rural Alta
I thought CBC was a constitutional right, had to be provided, analog or digital :D
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Brushy Bill wrote:We always had CBC where I was rural Alta
I thought CBC was a constitutional right, had to be provided, analog or digital :D

CBC English, and CBC French.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

I hope that the CRTC declines. Since they still get them for free, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to ask that cable, satellite and internet TV providers supply a free package consisting of all the main networks to anyone who wants them.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan

Return to “Canada”