Climate change.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
bernie428
Board Meister

Re: Climate change.

Post by bernie428 »

Merry wrote:The problem with the topic of climate change is that it has become politicized, and is no longer a sensible, scientific discussion.

There are folks on BOTH sides of the argument who really have no clue what they're talking about, and are just spouting the opinions of other folks who also have no clue what they're talking about.

It's a case of the uninformed leading the even more uninformed around "by the nose", often for reasons that have more to do with politics than the environment.

The masses have taken sides, and dug in, becoming unwilling to even listen to points of view that don't reinforce their own view, much less actually consider those alternative viewpoints.

And, in the meantime, environmental pollution continues pretty much unabated.

I'd like to see the argument about whether or not there actually is climate change going on, and what is causing it, shift and become a debate about doing what we can to reduce industrial pollution (without destroying our economy), and clean up already polluted sites.

In other words, shift from the theoretical and virtue signaling to practical applications that really will make a difference.

Case in point, both the Provincial NDP and the Federal Liberals claim to be concerned about our environment and want to do whatever we can to protect it. Yet NEITHER level of Government has taken any meaningful action to ensure that those responsible for the largest dam breach in Canadian history are brought to justice. It's been 5 years since the Mt. Polley dam broke, and no charges have yet been laid.
https://vancouversun.com/business/local ... m-collapse

I'm a supporter of mining; everything I own is thanks to that particular industry. But I believe that when companies don't follow the rules, they ought to be held accountable for it. Because one bad apple can spoil it for everyone else. That dam breach at Polley gave the entire industry a black eye, and I'm not the only one involved in mining that thinks Imperial Metals should have been made an example of, to demonstrate that neither Governments nor the mining industry condone irresponsible behaviour.

Good points.
One side won't talk about the true cost, and the other side wants to ignore the environmental cost.
We are piling it up a whole lot faster than we are dealing with, creating nasty stuff the planet has never seen, and really we just hope for the best. What a great plan!

Another point I find ignored is the trickle down effect on both sides.
Don't help 3rd world countries, watch them decimate the planet trying to catch up to us.
Become the eco champ and risk losing all ground to some who doesn't follow the rules.
Unfortunately this means the good old USA has a large say in what we do, even if we don't want them to.
FairlyKnew
Fledgling

Post by FairlyKnew »

I see signs saying "Plant a tree - save the planet". Guess who profits on this? Both federal and provincial taxes to be paid on said tree.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

[icon_lol2.gif] Good point. Still a good idea though.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

https://business.financialpost.com/opin ... -to-ponder

Every Canadian should read this article, and vote accordingly in October.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It seems likely McKenna's policy is based on the same "parametized" modeling.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Agreed and its unfortunate to see the students being used as pawns to further an agenda
Where is the intelligence to see that human activity will never be able to roll back the change
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

Brushy Bill wrote:Agreed and its unfortunate to see the students being used as pawns to further an agenda

I don't blame them. In most cases, young scientists cannot get grants for their research, if it doesn't support the catastrophic, man-made climate change dogma.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Now this is an opinion I can get behind:
the idea that the Conservatives are anti-science because they don’t agree with the Liberal approach to addressing climate change is reprehensible. The simple fact is that Canada contributes a mere 1.6 per cent of global emissions and nothing the Liberals have proposed we do in this country to reduce our GHG output will have an impact on global climate change. Moreover, it is disingenuous for Mr. Peiris’ to insinuate that the new fuel standards the Liberals are proposing are to be judged by solely their contribution to reducing GHG emissions (a pretty low standard) rather than hitting the target we committed to in Paris (the standard they should be judged by and that they will not meet).

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/o ... ar-AAFeDAT

It is the Liberals who are not using a balanced scientific approach to this particular debate; preferring instead to "cherry pick" their stats and mix it in with a lot of emotion.

The fact is that pollution (in all it's forms) is a GLOBAL problem. One that will NOT be solved by just having Canadians pay higher taxes. I wish it were that simple, but the fact is that it isn't. If we truly want to reduce pollution, both here and abroad, we need REGULATIONS and ENFORCEMENT of those regulations, and we need them ASAP.

For example, our stores are full of products that come from countries that we KNOW pollute the planet greatly while manufacturing those goods. Yet we continue to buy those products, because we like the fact that they are cheaper than products made in countries where the environmental pollution standards are much higher. What if the Government refused to allow the import of goods that have not been manufactured in an environmentally sound environment? Surely that would do a heck of a lot more to help "save our planet" than having us all pay higher taxes.

And any who object to such a plan, while still advocating a carbon tax, are nothing more than hypocrites, who aren't really serious about "saving the planet".
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Watch this video!

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Words of wisdom from Rex
Those howling loudest at people to use public transport — “for the planet’s sake” — should not, per exemplum, own $400-million yachts, travel themselves by private jet, have a dozen vast mansions in a dozen countries, and hold suppers that cost $100,000 in ancient Greek temples. But they do.

Those who most harangue and harass the rest of us on our “carbon” usage are the greatest wastrels of all. They owns numerous mansions, live in palaces (Harry), travel on private jets and yachts the size of Sweden, burn money by the bucket load, and toss more of those fatal carbon emissions into the air than any single person since Saddam Hussein set fire to the oilfields at the end of the Gulf War.

The great maxim of Glenn Reynolds, the Instapundit, was never more richly illustrated: “I’ll believe that it’s a crisis when the people who claim it’s a crisis start acting like it’s a crisis.”

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mu ... arming-one

Please take the time to read the entire article; it really is very enlightening.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Merry wrote:Words of wisdom from Rex
Those howling loudest at people to use public transport — “for the planet’s sake” — should not, per exemplum, own $400-million yachts, travel themselves by private jet, have a dozen vast mansions in a dozen countries, and hold suppers that cost $100,000 in ancient Greek temples. But they do.

Those who most harangue and harass the rest of us on our “carbon” usage are the greatest wastrels of all. They owns numerous mansions, live in palaces (Harry), travel on private jets and yachts the size of Sweden, burn money by the bucket load, and toss more of those fatal carbon emissions into the air than any single person since Saddam Hussein set fire to the oilfields at the end of the Gulf War.

The great maxim of Glenn Reynolds, the Instapundit, was never more richly illustrated: “I’ll believe that it’s a crisis when the people who claim it’s a crisis start acting like it’s a crisis.”

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mu ... arming-one

Please take the time to read the entire article; it really is very enlightening.

I was just about to post that same article.... Its well worth reading.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

No evidence of journalistic or scientific integrity.

We will likely see more Arctic junk science especially during this time of year when the sun shines 24H a day. As I was browsing some tourist sites I noticed:

https://www.nunavuttourism.com/plan-and-book/visitor-information/weather-climate/

Which states “Temperatures vary widely by community. The average temperature in Kugluktuk is the warmest in Nunavut, sometimes rising to 30°C in the summer and ranging from -15°C to -40°C in the winter.” Certainly this will randomly vary as weather always does. At the same time, Antarctica has hit record lows, such as Dome A at -116.9F, which is winter time in the south.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Climate Einstein busted in a big fat LIE!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

McKenna really is a Barbie.

The July determination was made from a limited set of land based thermometers which typically experience urban heat island effect. Satellite data shows July was about the 4th hottest.

UAH data
http://www.drroyspencer.com/latest-global-temperatures/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/08/02/july-2019-was-not-the-warmest-on-record/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”