Fledgling

Re: Don Cherry's false offensive remarks

Post by grapefruit »

Yep he's an idiot through and through!! Get off the tv Cherry
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Lol. I cant remember a time when Don Cherry has ever apologised for anything hes ever said. So dont you people...oh wait... dont anyone expect anything different this time. Just go out and buy a poppy. Show some respect our lost soldiers and veterans.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

RupertBear wrote:I see where he’s coming from, but why single out immigrants? What about those who are third or fourth generation Canadians who do not wear a poppy? All you have to do is walk through the mall or downtown and you’ll see that probably only four out of every ten people is wearing a poppy. I’m more disappointed in the long-time Canadians than the immigrants for not honouring the war dead.

Exactly. I just went and ran some errands through Cherry Lane mall. Aside from the poppy I saw in the washroom mirror, I bet it would be accurate to say right now there are about 5 in every hundred people you come across wearing a poppy. I suppose one could state, "you people (obviously old white people in Penticton) what's wrong with you "... but, I'm pretty sure most people would see what's wrong with the framing around that statement.

:130: RupertBear, you nailed it in your last sentence.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Nov 10th, 2019, 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
jlysholm

Post by jlysholm »

How far is this racist pendulum going to go? Not a fan of Cherry but what he said should not be an issue!
tomloudon

Post by tomloudon »

After you liberal snowflakes decided to dismiss and ignore Trudeaus blackface, ethics violations, India fiasco and voted to reelect him, You have lost the right to complain about anything that anyone says.
Silverstarqueen
Buddha of the Board

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Our veterans sacrificed so that Don Cherry could have the freedom to offend anyone he wants, including immigrants (many of whom fought for our country or our allies in war). Thanks to those veterans anyone has the right to wear a poppy or not, be as offensive as they please, criticize others randomly if they like. But there is a more Canadian way, why not be friendly and welcoming to the immigrants you meet. If they don't have a poppy offer them yours, and smile and tell them briefly why it is so important. Imagine how many more people you will touch than by ranting and raving at them.
Ok_Boomer
Banned

Post by Ok_Boomer »

jlysholm wrote:How far is this racist pendulum going to go? Not a fan of Cherry but what he said should not be an issue!

There's no pendulum. Either one is racist or not. No amount is good and we should all call it out when we see it. That doesn't mean condemning the source, just letting them know that it's not good.
Also, as a descendant of immigrants who may not have embraced the way of life of the people here before, he really didn't need to bring immigrants into this at all:
The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise!

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners. George Carlin. Love it!

So, so Sick of it!
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

jlysholm wrote:How far is this racist pendulum going to go? Not a fan of Cherry but what he said should not be an issue!

[facetious] "You people"... you just don't get it, do you? I bet you have blue eyes, people with blue eyes are always a little daft when it comes to being stereotyped. Well, you people with your blue eyes should just adjust your thinking to be more in line with us brown eyed people. You're in Rome now, show some respect and act like romans. And another thing, just because you didn't immigrate here, doesn't mean you're not an immigrant. Us people with brown eyes were here long before you and you'll always be an immigrant. Know your place and stay in your own lane. Apparently, you people need to be told how much it enrages us when we see you without a poppy.

Oh you blue eyed people - (shaking my head) why can't you people just get this?[/facetious]

Don may have had point, perhaps even one that I might agree with to an extent. However where Don went offside was with his "you people". If he had directed his statement to "us people", "people", "everyone" it wouldn't have been offensive and he wouldn't be getting called out for his ignorance.

You asked how far this racial pendulum is going to go? I don't know, it's 2019 and I'm always a little surprised when I see it. Perhaps some of the other contributors on this thread are in a far better position, than I am, to answer that.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Ok_Boomer
Banned

Post by Ok_Boomer »

George Carlin was an absolute genius. Here he is talking about comics targeting immigrants:

He knew that punching down is for jerks.
Last edited by Ok_Boomer on Nov 10th, 2019, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

yeah its 2019, The era of political correctness. Free speech is pretty much gone because you will offend someone. Don Cherry is 85 years old. let him alone and let him live out his life the way he always has. He calls it how he sees it, and not afraid to do so. Hes not about to change now. Calling for him to be fired is just ridiculous. Like to see that. There would be more of an uproar then from the whole poppy statement he made.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I heard jt live and I couldn't believe he said that. It's a pretty big generalization that I'm not sure is true. At any rate, a lot of recent immigrants probably came from real hellholes and witnessed carnage that most Canadians can't even begin to imagine. I won't be surprised if Cherry will announce his retirement in the next couple of days and that will be the end of it.
Ok_Boomer
Banned

Post by Ok_Boomer »

vinnied wrote:yeah its 2019, The era of political correctness. Free speech is pretty much gone because you will offend someone. Don Cherry is 85 years old. let him alone and let him live out his life the way he always has. He calls it how he sees it, and not afraid to do so. Hes not about to change now. Calling for him to be fired is just ridiculous. Like to see that. There would be more of an uproar then from the whole poppy statement he made.

How about we point out racism, bigotry, sexism, etc. when we see it, but stop trying to get everyone who engages in it fired? Don Cherry gets to keep on being Don Cherry and while he might not change his attitudes and language, he also might. We all have a friend or 2 who is just a bit racist or sexist, or says bigoted stuff, and just pointing it out to them isn't a big issue; if they take it personally, maybe they're just too much of a snowflake and need a safe space.

jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If he gets ditched it would be 30yrs too late.
Can't even watch *bleep* hockey without some lecture. If he wants to rant go on some youtube news channel or something .
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

If his comments are as some are calling them... then send your concerns to Sportsnet/Rogers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com

Return to “Canada”