All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14417
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by hobbyguy »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 29th, 2021, 7:10 pm https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... or-seniors

“ All last week when the Conservatives were asking about inflation, the Liberals turned to child care as the answer. On Wednesday, when Trudeau himself was answering every question, he responded with child care even when asked about the price of food going up.

Lowering child care costs is incredibly important for families with children in need of care but let’s face some facts: That is a small percentage of the population. The Liberal program, which will take five years to lower fees to $10 per day, won’t help people who have no children or older children.
When seniors on a fixed income see food prices go up 14% on average for beef or nearly 9% for chicken, a $10-a-day child care program that comes into full effect five years from now will not help pay the grocery bill. As temperatures drop in our Canadian winter, a child care plan won’t help people looking at their natural gas bill being up 18% while their paycheque has remained flat”

<SNIP>

“ A growing chorus of economists are warning the government that their own out-of-control spending is helping contribute to this inflation crisis and they should take their foot off the accelerator. Trudeau’s response is to answer with more government spending, which will only exacerbate the problem further.

Trudeau could easily sound empathetic to Canadians worried about this issue – and there are a lot of them – but he comes across as cold, aloof and out of touch. That’s dangerous for him politically. Even his most strident supporters know that Trudeau is a trust-fund baby who has never had to worry about money in his life — his inability to understand that others do have that worry could erode fragile support.”
And fails to understand the context of the situation as usual. The right wing, and the sun is pretty far right, always seems to take a simplistic and deliberately uniformed view.

The thing about free market capitalist systems is that they do work better than government controlled systems. If we look around the world and historically, dictatorship systems don't work well for people, nor communist systems (although those two often go together).

Part of that is the reality that unlike the failed Soviet system of the USSR, or the Maoist system, the Canadian government doesn't set prices. The market supply and demand balance sets prices. Inflation (increasing prices) sets in when market demand outstrips supply. That balance is tricky and has become even more so as globalization has increased.

It is beyond the ability of any individual government to have major impacts on short term prices, short of doing the dictatorial price controls - which also require wage controls. Having seen the wage and price control thingy, and the lack of positive effect and resultant failure - that's an avenue that should remain closed.

Yup, the current Trudeau Liberal government is indeed making moves to try to alleviate the short term supply/demand problems, which are being exacerbated by pandemic and climate change effects that have totally messed up free market conditions. Yup, they are doing what they can to to push ports to clear container backlogs, but destroyed highways and rail lines have defeated the best possible efforts. Similar issues are plaguing the US, UK, France et al.

Arguably, globalization has lowered prices in the long term, but the fragility created by long and complex supply chains - especially those that have been concentrated in the control of a few corporations - have been exposed. Yup, relying on one supplier thousands of miles away is proving to be a very vulnerable situation - and one that has proven unable to handle the pandemic induced effects that have been made worse by climate change effects.

Case in point: televisions. We used to make TVs in Canada. Yup, I bought a Canadian made TV in the 1970s. Paid about $500 for a 20 inch color TV. According to the BOC calculator, that's about $1,750 in 2021 $. Yup, I can go to the local big store and pay $300 for a far better 40 inch TV today.

The flip side is that the jobs went away, and the additional income in a poor country is creating additional demand on a global basis.

Add in the manipulations of the likes of OPEC, and the situation is waaay beyond the control of any individual governemnt.

So here we are with the right wing whining about short term inflation, when it was the right wing that pushed globalization in the first place. Well there is no free lunch. Globalization means that what happens in China, or Australia, or Singapore, or Santiago or Paris affects what happens in Canada etc. etc.

And yup, inflation in Canada is running 5% ish in the short term. Macklem and many others feel that is a short term phenomenon. Maybe it is, maybe not. There are many factors that have changed during the pandemic, not the least of which has been an acceleration in retirements (which was coming anyway) leading some sectors experiencing labor shortages.

Probably most telling is this: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/economy/ ... index.html

"China has a big inflation problem and it's pushing up prices worldwide"

The cost of goods leaving China's factories surged by another record rate last month, and there are increasing signs that consumers are starting to feel the pain.
The Producer Price Index jumped 13.5% in October from a year ago, accelerating from September's 10.7%,"

SNIP

"Vegetable prices jumped 16% in October, mainly due to heavy rainfall and rising transportation costs, according to a statement from Dong Lijuan, a senior statistician for the NBS. Extreme weather has hurt crops, and authorities have acknowledged that the cost of transiting across regions could rise because of strict measures intended to contain outbreaks of Covid-19.
Gasoline and diesel prices rose more than 30%, Dong said."

SNIP

"Rising inflation in the country is also triggering global concerns. The soaring producer inflation is "fueling upward pressure on global inflation," considering China's role as the world's factory and its importance to the global supply chain, according to Ken Cheung, chief Asian foreign exchange strategist for Mizuho Bank.
Producer inflation also may stay high "for a while, likely through the winter," said Jing Liu, senior economist for Greater China at HSBC. She added that energy prices may also continue to rise, and expected that consumer inflation could continue to pick up."

So yup, hang onto your hats. The free market is re-balancing after having been hammered by the pandemic, and for many of us, the only choice is going to be to cut back. It won't be fun.

What can Trudeau do about that complex situation? Well, they are trying to help the ports out, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out parents with young children, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out folks looking to buy their first home, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out seniors with better access to home care, but that's only part of it. None of which is going stop the short term situation as all are longer term issues.

Face it, if dictatorial China can't "fix it", the US with its economic might can't "fix it", what exactly can Canada do?

Yup, interest rates are going to go up - sometime in the spring (most likely). But that won't do much for the large chunk of Canadians with mortgages - their costs will go up! And yup, that will spill over into rents and so on. Interest rates are not really something that we want politicians like Trudeau, Singh, O'Toole and Blanchet playing around with - that's best left to the BOC.

So perhaps the right wing ought to propose some solutions? Nope, as usual, they will troll spin Trudeau bashing nonsense.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11070
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by Hurtlander »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 8:29 am
Hurtlander wrote: Nov 29th, 2021, 7:10 pm https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... or-seniors

“ All last week when the Conservatives were asking about inflation, the Liberals turned to child care as the answer. On Wednesday, when Trudeau himself was answering every question, he responded with child care even when asked about the price of food going up.

Lowering child care costs is incredibly important for families with children in need of care but let’s face some facts: That is a small percentage of the population. The Liberal program, which will take five years to lower fees to $10 per day, won’t help people who have no children or older children.
When seniors on a fixed income see food prices go up 14% on average for beef or nearly 9% for chicken, a $10-a-day child care program that comes into full effect five years from now will not help pay the grocery bill. As temperatures drop in our Canadian winter, a child care plan won’t help people looking at their natural gas bill being up 18% while their paycheque has remained flat”

<SNIP>

“ A growing chorus of economists are warning the government that their own out-of-control spending is helping contribute to this inflation crisis and they should take their foot off the accelerator. Trudeau’s response is to answer with more government spending, which will only exacerbate the problem further.

Trudeau could easily sound empathetic to Canadians worried about this issue – and there are a lot of them – but he comes across as cold, aloof and out of touch. That’s dangerous for him politically. Even his most strident supporters know that Trudeau is a trust-fund baby who has never had to worry about money in his life — his inability to understand that others do have that worry could erode fragile support.”
And fails to understand the context of the situation as usual. The right wing, and the sun is pretty far right, always seems to take a simplistic and deliberately uniformed view.

The thing about free market capitalist systems is that they do work better than government controlled systems. If we look around the world and historically, dictatorship systems don't work well for people, nor communist systems (although those two often go together).

Part of that is the reality that unlike the failed Soviet system of the USSR, or the Maoist system, the Canadian government doesn't set prices. The market supply and demand balance sets prices. Inflation (increasing prices) sets in when market demand outstrips supply. That balance is tricky and has become even more so as globalization has increased.

It is beyond the ability of any individual government to have major impacts on short term prices, short of doing the dictatorial price controls - which also require wage controls. Having seen the wage and price control thingy, and the lack of positive effect and resultant failure - that's an avenue that should remain closed.

Yup, the current Trudeau Liberal government is indeed making moves to try to alleviate the short term supply/demand problems, which are being exacerbated by pandemic and climate change effects that have totally messed up free market conditions. Yup, they are doing what they can to to push ports to clear container backlogs, but destroyed highways and rail lines have defeated the best possible efforts. Similar issues are plaguing the US, UK, France et al.

Arguably, globalization has lowered prices in the long term, but the fragility created by long and complex supply chains - especially those that have been concentrated in the control of a few corporations - have been exposed. Yup, relying on one supplier thousands of miles away is proving to be a very vulnerable situation - and one that has proven unable to handle the pandemic induced effects that have been made worse by climate change effects.

Case in point: televisions. We used to make TVs in Canada. Yup, I bought a Canadian made TV in the 1970s. Paid about $500 for a 20 inch color TV. According to the BOC calculator, that's about $1,750 in 2021 $. Yup, I can go to the local big store and pay $300 for a far better 40 inch TV today.

The flip side is that the jobs went away, and the additional income in a poor country is creating additional demand on a global basis.

Add in the manipulations of the likes of OPEC, and the situation is waaay beyond the control of any individual governemnt.

So here we are with the right wing whining about short term inflation, when it was the right wing that pushed globalization in the first place. Well there is no free lunch. Globalization means that what happens in China, or Australia, or Singapore, or Santiago or Paris affects what happens in Canada etc. etc.

And yup, inflation in Canada is running 5% ish in the short term. Macklem and many others feel that is a short term phenomenon. Maybe it is, maybe not. There are many factors that have changed during the pandemic, not the least of which has been an acceleration in retirements (which was coming anyway) leading some sectors experiencing labor shortages.

Probably most telling is this: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/economy/ ... index.html

"China has a big inflation problem and it's pushing up prices worldwide"

The cost of goods leaving China's factories surged by another record rate last month, and there are increasing signs that consumers are starting to feel the pain.
The Producer Price Index jumped 13.5% in October from a year ago, accelerating from September's 10.7%,"

SNIP

"Vegetable prices jumped 16% in October, mainly due to heavy rainfall and rising transportation costs, according to a statement from Dong Lijuan, a senior statistician for the NBS. Extreme weather has hurt crops, and authorities have acknowledged that the cost of transiting across regions could rise because of strict measures intended to contain outbreaks of Covid-19.
Gasoline and diesel prices rose more than 30%, Dong said."

SNIP

"Rising inflation in the country is also triggering global concerns. The soaring producer inflation is "fueling upward pressure on global inflation," considering China's role as the world's factory and its importance to the global supply chain, according to Ken Cheung, chief Asian foreign exchange strategist for Mizuho Bank.
Producer inflation also may stay high "for a while, likely through the winter," said Jing Liu, senior economist for Greater China at HSBC. She added that energy prices may also continue to rise, and expected that consumer inflation could continue to pick up."

So yup, hang onto your hats. The free market is re-balancing after having been hammered by the pandemic, and for many of us, the only choice is going to be to cut back. It won't be fun.

What can Trudeau do about that complex situation? Well, they are trying to help the ports out, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out parents with young children, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out folks looking to buy their first home, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out seniors with better access to home care, but that's only part of it. None of which is going stop the short term situation as all are longer term issues.

Face it, if dictatorial China can't "fix it", the US with its economic might can't "fix it", what exactly can Canada do?

Yup, interest rates are going to go up - sometime in the spring (most likely). But that won't do much for the large chunk of Canadians with mortgages - their costs will go up! And yup, that will spill over into rents and so on. Interest rates are not really something that we want politicians like Trudeau, Singh, O'Toole and Blanchet playing around with - that's best left to the BOC.

So perhaps the right wing ought to propose some solutions? Nope, as usual, they will troll spin Trudeau bashing nonsense.
Absolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.
Keep on Truckin
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71578
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:51 am
Absolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.
:up: :up:

Exactly right. The Liberals have no plan, and when called out, all their sycophants will respond with are the usual troll spin CPC bashing nonsense. This is just like 1974 all over again, even with some of the actors having the same last name:
“Zap you’re frozen!”

Line used by Pierre Trudeau in the 1974 general election1 to mock federal Progressive Conservative Leader Robert Stanfield’s2 proposal for wage and price controls to combat inflation.

Like many good campaign lines, it worked because it was pithy and fun. However, its lasting fame was truly born when, less than 18 months later, Trudeau (who regained a majority in the election) reversed his opposition and imposed wage and price controls of his own.

“Zap you’re frozen!” became an epithet endlessly hurled at his government through the balance of the term as a way to attack Trudeau’s flip-flop and, often, to imply a more fundamental political dishonesty.
https://parli.ca/zap-youre-frozen/
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
nucksRnum1
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2009
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2021, 1:55 pm

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:51 amAbsolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.
Funny. Trudeau is not much more wealthy dollar for dollar than Harper was. And yet......conservatives idolize Harper.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71578
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by The Green Barbarian »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 10:07 am
Funny. Trudeau is not much more wealthy dollar for dollar than Harper was.
Funny, that's 100% a massive prevarication. What else is new.
And yet......conservatives idolize Harper.
Because he was an adult and knew what he was doing, unlike the brain-dead children in the Liberal party.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
W105
Guru
Posts: 7844
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by W105 »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:51 am
hobbyguy wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 8:29 am

And fails to understand the context of the situation as usual. The right wing, and the sun is pretty far right, always seems to take a simplistic and deliberately uniformed view.

The thing about free market capitalist systems is that they do work better than government controlled systems. If we look around the world and historically, dictatorship systems don't work well for people, nor communist systems (although those two often go together).

Part of that is the reality that unlike the failed Soviet system of the USSR, or the Maoist system, the Canadian government doesn't set prices. The market supply and demand balance sets prices. Inflation (increasing prices) sets in when market demand outstrips supply. That balance is tricky and has become even more so as globalization has increased.

It is beyond the ability of any individual government to have major impacts on short term prices, short of doing the dictatorial price controls - which also require wage controls. Having seen the wage and price control thingy, and the lack of positive effect and resultant failure - that's an avenue that should remain closed.

Yup, the current Trudeau Liberal government is indeed making moves to try to alleviate the short term supply/demand problems, which are being exacerbated by pandemic and climate change effects that have totally messed up free market conditions. Yup, they are doing what they can to to push ports to clear container backlogs, but destroyed highways and rail lines have defeated the best possible efforts. Similar issues are plaguing the US, UK, France et al.

Arguably, globalization has lowered prices in the long term, but the fragility created by long and complex supply chains - especially those that have been concentrated in the control of a few corporations - have been exposed. Yup, relying on one supplier thousands of miles away is proving to be a very vulnerable situation - and one that has proven unable to handle the pandemic induced effects that have been made worse by climate change effects.

Case in point: televisions. We used to make TVs in Canada. Yup, I bought a Canadian made TV in the 1970s. Paid about $500 for a 20 inch color TV. According to the BOC calculator, that's about $1,750 in 2021 $. Yup, I can go to the local big store and pay $300 for a far better 40 inch TV today.

The flip side is that the jobs went away, and the additional income in a poor country is creating additional demand on a global basis.

Add in the manipulations of the likes of OPEC, and the situation is waaay beyond the control of any individual governemnt.

So here we are with the right wing whining about short term inflation, when it was the right wing that pushed globalization in the first place. Well there is no free lunch. Globalization means that what happens in China, or Australia, or Singapore, or Santiago or Paris affects what happens in Canada etc. etc.

And yup, inflation in Canada is running 5% ish in the short term. Macklem and many others feel that is a short term phenomenon. Maybe it is, maybe not. There are many factors that have changed during the pandemic, not the least of which has been an acceleration in retirements (which was coming anyway) leading some sectors experiencing labor shortages.

Probably most telling is this: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/economy/ ... index.html

"China has a big inflation problem and it's pushing up prices worldwide"

The cost of goods leaving China's factories surged by another record rate last month, and there are increasing signs that consumers are starting to feel the pain.
The Producer Price Index jumped 13.5% in October from a year ago, accelerating from September's 10.7%,"

SNIP

"Vegetable prices jumped 16% in October, mainly due to heavy rainfall and rising transportation costs, according to a statement from Dong Lijuan, a senior statistician for the NBS. Extreme weather has hurt crops, and authorities have acknowledged that the cost of transiting across regions could rise because of strict measures intended to contain outbreaks of Covid-19.
Gasoline and diesel prices rose more than 30%, Dong said."

SNIP

"Rising inflation in the country is also triggering global concerns. The soaring producer inflation is "fueling upward pressure on global inflation," considering China's role as the world's factory and its importance to the global supply chain, according to Ken Cheung, chief Asian foreign exchange strategist for Mizuho Bank.
Producer inflation also may stay high "for a while, likely through the winter," said Jing Liu, senior economist for Greater China at HSBC. She added that energy prices may also continue to rise, and expected that consumer inflation could continue to pick up."

So yup, hang onto your hats. The free market is re-balancing after having been hammered by the pandemic, and for many of us, the only choice is going to be to cut back. It won't be fun.

What can Trudeau do about that complex situation? Well, they are trying to help the ports out, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out parents with young children, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out folks looking to buy their first home, but that's only part of it. They are trying to help out seniors with better access to home care, but that's only part of it. None of which is going stop the short term situation as all are longer term issues.

Face it, if dictatorial China can't "fix it", the US with its economic might can't "fix it", what exactly can Canada do?

Yup, interest rates are going to go up - sometime in the spring (most likely). But that won't do much for the large chunk of Canadians with mortgages - their costs will go up! And yup, that will spill over into rents and so on. Interest rates are not really something that we want politicians like Trudeau, Singh, O'Toole and Blanchet playing around with - that's best left to the BOC.

So perhaps the right wing ought to propose some solutions? Nope, as usual, they will troll spin Trudeau bashing nonsense.
Absolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.

:up: :up:
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71578
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Joe Oliver: The Trudeau Liberals learn nothing and forget nothing

Talleyrand, diplomat and schemer extraordinaire, said of the Bourbons who ruled France both before and after the revolution that “They learned nothing and forgot nothing.” The same can be said of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his entitled coterie of acolytes and puppet-masters (yes, both). They have learned nothing from egregious ethical breaches and economic failures and they have forgotten nothing about divisive cultural wokeness and dysfunctional climate obsessions. (One thing that evidently has been forgotten is “deliverology,” which seems to have been a transitory enchantment. Look up deliverology in a thesaurus and you might find the PM’s picture under antonyms.)

What will become of Mr. Trudeau? Will he be cast aside in the cauldron of political upheaval, as the Bourbons were, or will he achieve his vision of a dystopian paradise at the expense of a public aroused too late to its dismal fate?

The desultory throne speech provides scant hope he has understood anything about his mistakes or rid himself of his harmful preoccupations. Long on shibboleths and bereft of new ideas, it gives short shrift to an emerging issue of great concern to Canadians, especially the poor and retirees on fixed income: rising inflation, which is running at 4.7 per cent here and 6.2 per cent in the U.S.

Recently, Trudeau’s fellow progressive, President Joe Biden, served him a bitter dish of poetic justice by proposing to subsidize green cars on the backs of Canadian workers. American may be back, but not for Canada. Automobiles and parts are our second largest exports after, you guessed it, oil and gas. With his usual eloquence, Rex Murphy contrasted Trudeau’s panicky reaction to a $12,000 tax credit for American-made electric vehicles, which would be a devastating blow to Ontario’s automotive industry, with his insouciant promise to transition the oil and gas business to extinction. (Where is the extinction rebellion for the tenth of the Canadian economy that is oil and gas?) Both misguided initiatives aim to combat climate change. But what is good for the Western goose evidently is not good for the Eastern gander.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... d=msedgntp
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14417
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by hobbyguy »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:51 am
Absolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.
And so what? Yup, Trudeau has a trust fund. O'Toole has money. Singh has Money. Blanchet has money. In fact every single MP has money - we pay them over $180K per year plus a very fat expense account, and a gold plated pension plan.

And don't make me laugh about seniors being ignored. The CPC actually hammered seniors when they had the chance. The current Trudeau Liberal government has improved the OAS/GIS system, raised pensions, improved CPP, and is raising pensions again for older seniors at the end of June. The Trudeau Liberals have also put a fair bit of effort into important things for seniors like home care options, age friendly communities. OAS/GIS and CPP have inflation escalators. My CPP will go up in January. My OAS will go up as well - quarterly adjustments. Will it be enough to cover the current inflation? Nope. It's a spike. But it will cover some of it, and the rest will come out of my personal savings.

Trudeau himself may be insulated from the effects, but the Trudeau Liberals have generally been good for seniors. They even guarantee seniors a platform plank from the grassroots seniors every two years, and another half dozen for consideration.

And yup, the right wing trolls bash away at deficits they have a large responsibility for as the CPC created a structural revenue deficit. And the right wing Trudeau bashers love to spin the nonsense about "out of control spending" blah, blah, blah - which is just plain nonsense as the Trudeau Liberals spend LESS as % of GDP than Chretien and Mulroney.

Federal government spending is NOT the source of the current inflation. End of story. Here's what Harper appointee Poloz has to say: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/stimulu ... -1.5683699

"OTTAWA -- Former Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz says government spending and stimulus are not to blame for increased inflation.

"I think that's not right," he said during an interview on CTV's Question Period airing Sunday. "In fact, what the stimulus did was to keep the economy from going into a deep hole in which we would have experienced persistent deflation."

But I know, the Trudeau bashers will pretend they know more than the likes of Poloz...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
User avatar
PoplarSoul
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3062
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2021, 12:27 pm

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by PoplarSoul »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 11:58 am
Hurtlander wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:51 am
Absolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.
And so what? Yup, Trudeau has a trust fund. O'Toole has money. Singh has Money. Blanchet has money. In fact every single MP has money - we pay them over $180K per year plus a very fat expense account, and a gold plated pension plan.

And don't make me laugh about seniors being ignored. The CPC actually hammered seniors when they had the chance. The current Trudeau Liberal government has improved the OAS/GIS system, raised pensions, improved CPP, and is raising pensions again for older seniors at the end of June. The Trudeau Liberals have also put a fair bit of effort into important things for seniors like home care options, age friendly communities. OAS/GIS and CPP have inflation escalators. My CPP will go up in January. My OAS will go up as well - quarterly adjustments. Will it be enough to cover the current inflation? Nope. It's a spike. But it will cover some of it, and the rest will come out of my personal savings.

Trudeau himself may be insulated from the effects, but the Trudeau Liberals have generally been good for seniors. They even guarantee seniors a platform plank from the grassroots seniors every two years, and another half dozen for consideration.

And yup, the right wing trolls bash away at deficits they have a large responsibility for as the CPC created a structural revenue deficit. And the right wing Trudeau bashers love to spin the nonsense about "out of control spending" blah, blah, blah - which is just plain nonsense as the Trudeau Liberals spend LESS as % of GDP than Chretien and Mulroney.

Federal government spending is NOT the source of the current inflation. End of story. Here's what Harper appointee Poloz has to say: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/stimulu ... -1.5683699

"OTTAWA -- Former Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz says government spending and stimulus are not to blame for increased inflation.

"I think that's not right," he said during an interview on CTV's Question Period airing Sunday. "In fact, what the stimulus did was to keep the economy from going into a deep hole in which we would have experienced persistent deflation."

But I know, the Trudeau bashers will pretend they know more than the likes of Poloz...
Well said.

:up: :up: :up:
"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." Alan Watts
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
featfan
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4060
Joined: Jul 21st, 2005, 11:48 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by featfan »

I wonder how much taxpayers money has been spent by Justin on carbon credits for all his travel in the last 18 months.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71578
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 11:58 am

And so what? Yup, Trudeau has a trust fund.
And he's a spoiled brat who has no clue what the average Canadian goes through. That's the whole point. Justin doesn't know and just doesn't care.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71578
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by The Green Barbarian »

John Ivison: Trudeau Liberals attempt another end run around accountability

Erin O’Toole made light of Justin Trudeau’s description of the 2021 general election as a “pivotal, consequential moment for Canada” in his reply to last week’s Throne Speech.

“It was so pivotal that Justin Trudeau took his sweet time to bring the House of Commons back to be accountable to Canadians; so pivotal that three months later he has still not put in place the structure of government…

“He is ignoring the great responsibility this Parliament has,” he said.

With storms once again about to menace the West Coast and with a worrying new COVID variant already here, Canadians may think they have more important concerns than the “structure of government.”

But O’Toole has raised an issue that should provoke unease in anyone who cares about democracy in this country – the tendency of the executive to run the House of Commons for partisan benefit, rather than to be accountable to it. The belief in government appears to be that the less the opposition parties and the media know about what is going on, the better.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/j ... d=msedgntp
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2711
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 7:18 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by Catri »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 11:58 am
Hurtlander wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:51 am
Absolutely no part of your 10,000 word diatribe deals with the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have the first clue what it’s like to go through life not having a trust fund, the fact that Trudeau doesn’t have to concern himself with the price of milk, eggs, meat or bread because he’s filthy rich. When it’s been pointed out in the House of Commons that inflation is really hurting seniors, all brain-dead Trudeau can come up with is his $10.00 day care plan…. The government needs to immediately put some measures in place to help control inflation, the country needs serious belt tightening measures, the government needs to stop printing money, interest rates need to go up etc, all things that have proven to work in my lifetime, certainly it’ll be an uncomfortable hard reality for a few years, but it needs to be done because this is getting completely out of control.
And so what? Yup, Trudeau has a trust fund. O'Toole has money. Singh has Money. Blanchet has money. In fact every single MP has money - we pay them over $180K per year plus a very fat expense account, and a gold plated pension plan.

And don't make me laugh about seniors being ignored. The CPC actually hammered seniors when they had the chance. The current Trudeau Liberal government has improved the OAS/GIS system, raised pensions, improved CPP, and is raising pensions again for older seniors at the end of June. The Trudeau Liberals have also put a fair bit of effort into important things for seniors like home care options, age friendly communities. OAS/GIS and CPP have inflation escalators. My CPP will go up in January. My OAS will go up as well - quarterly adjustments. Will it be enough to cover the current inflation? Nope. It's a spike. But it will cover some of it, and the rest will come out of my personal savings.

Trudeau himself may be insulated from the effects, but the Trudeau Liberals have generally been good for seniors. They even guarantee seniors a platform plank from the grassroots seniors every two years, and another half dozen for consideration.

And yup, the right wing trolls bash away at deficits they have a large responsibility for as the CPC created a structural revenue deficit. And the right wing Trudeau bashers love to spin the nonsense about "out of control spending" blah, blah, blah - which is just plain nonsense as the Trudeau Liberals spend LESS as % of GDP than Chretien and Mulroney.

Federal government spending is NOT the source of the current inflation. End of story. Here's what Harper appointee Poloz has to say: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/stimulu ... -1.5683699

"OTTAWA -- Former Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz says government spending and stimulus are not to blame for increased inflation.

"I think that's not right," he said during an interview on CTV's Question Period airing Sunday. "In fact, what the stimulus did was to keep the economy from going into a deep hole in which we would have experienced persistent deflation."

But I know, the Trudeau bashers will pretend they know more than the likes of Poloz...
Yeah, you didn't address the concerns of the CPC partisans who hate Trudeau with the fire of a thousand suns and will basically hate everything he does and whinge about everything he doesn't do. It's futile to hit that group with actual facts, their partisanship will not allow them to see sense.

It's pretty hilarious to see CPC supporters insisting that there's something inherently evil about being wealthy.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71578
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Catri wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 2:34 pm

It's pretty hilarious to see CPC supporters insisting that there's something inherently evil about being wealthy.
It'd be hilarious if this was actually a thing.
Tasha Kheiriddin: Another ‘virtual’ hybrid Parliament could be a dangerous thing in government hands

Have you always wanted to be an MP, but dread the thought of commuting to Ottawa? Well, you can go ahead and expand your career horizons now that the House of Commons has approved yet another session of a hybrid Parliament. Last week, MPs voted along party lines, with 180 Liberal and NDP members versus 140 Bloc Québécois and Conservatives, in favour of House sittings that combine in-person and virtual participation.

The government’s official line is that this plan respects health guidelines and protects MPs from COVID exposure. “If we have no hybrid measures, there’s an obligation for members to attend regardless of their health circumstances, regardless if they’re immunocompromised,” said Liberal House leader Mark Holland . “It is absolutely unacceptable, in a pandemic, to force them into circumstances where their health is at risk.”

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole didn’t buy that line. “It’s totally unacceptable for Mr. Trudeau to go to big meetings such as the (COP26) one in Glasgow, but not be able to meet here on the Hill,” he thundered. “What are the Liberals afraid of? The answer is obvious. Justin Trudeau has an aversion to accountability.”
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/t ... d=msedgntp
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14417
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by hobbyguy »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 5:38 pm
Catri wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 2:34 pm

It's pretty hilarious to see CPC supporters insisting that there's something inherently evil about being wealthy.
It'd be hilarious if this was actually a thing.
Tasha Kheiriddin: Another ‘virtual’ hybrid Parliament could be a dangerous thing in government hands

Have you always wanted to be an MP, but dread the thought of commuting to Ottawa? Well, you can go ahead and expand your career horizons now that the House of Commons has approved yet another session of a hybrid Parliament. Last week, MPs voted along party lines, with 180 Liberal and NDP members versus 140 Bloc Québécois and Conservatives, in favour of House sittings that combine in-person and virtual participation.

The government’s official line is that this plan respects health guidelines and protects MPs from COVID exposure. “If we have no hybrid measures, there’s an obligation for members to attend regardless of their health circumstances, regardless if they’re immunocompromised,” said Liberal House leader Mark Holland . “It is absolutely unacceptable, in a pandemic, to force them into circumstances where their health is at risk.”

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole didn’t buy that line. “It’s totally unacceptable for Mr. Trudeau to go to big meetings such as the (COP26) one in Glasgow, but not be able to meet here on the Hill,” he thundered. “What are the Liberals afraid of? The answer is obvious. Justin Trudeau has an aversion to accountability.”
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/t ... d=msedgntp
Yup - its only dangerous for CPC MPs because..?...too dumb to figure out zoom?...Anti-vaxxers in the CPC should be happy so that can't be it... .

Not dangerous for Bloc MPs. Not for NDP MPs. Not for Green MPs. Not for Liberal MPs.

Just spin from someone who wrote Rescuing Canada’s Right: Blueprint for a Conservative Revolution and was a director for the Fraser Institute.

Now just think of the taxpayer $$$ saved by not having MPs "commuting" back and forth to their ridings. They can stay here, and actually do something for their constituents instead of racking up per diems in Ottawa and huge travel costs. Is THAT what CPC MPs are upset about? Being asked to keep their CPC snouts out of the trough??

Trudeau is being very kind to the CPC MPs who are not vaxxed.

Its all "inside ball". The general public doesn't give a rats.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”