Trudeau gov't takes steps to keep First Nations in poverty

Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Trudeau gov't takes steps to keep First Nations in poverty

Post by Pete Podoski »

LILLEY: Historic Ontario road agreement puts First Nations in driver's seat

Published:
March 3, 2020

It’s been labelled an historic agreement, an actual memorandum of understanding, a commitment of funds and the launch of an indigenous-led environmental assessment to build a road into one of the most remote parts of Ontario.

Premier Doug Ford signed the agreement alongside Chief Bruce Achneepineskum and Chief Cornelius Wabasse in Toronto on Monday.

The agreement will see the Marten Falls and Webequie First Nations lead an environmental assessment of the proposed building of a year-round, paved road linking the two communities to points further south.

It’s a brave move these days when people in cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver — far from the development — can hold protests to shut down major infrastructure while claiming they are standing in solidarity with First Nations.

To the chiefs involved though, this is about the future of their people.

“We are looking forward to, you know, to prosperity,” Chief Wabasse said when I asked him about the prospect of people in downtown Toronto protesting to stop this road and keep his community environmentally pure.

Wabasse said that his community wants to be a partner with the province and industries that are looking to mine on or near their traditional lands.

“So that we can make change for our communities up there because we are living in poverty,” Wabasse said.

The road, if built, would not only link these remote communities to the rest of Ontario, it would allow for the development of the Ring of Fire — one of the biggest mineral deposits in the world.

Developing those resources has the potential to make bands like Marten Falls and Webequie wealthy.

It’s why Chiefs Wabasse and Achneepineskum signed on, to give opportunity to their people.

But while the chiefs support it, others are trying to make sure the road doesn’t happen.

Dayna Scott, a law professor at Osgoode Hall in Toronto, has been an outspoken critic of the Ford government’s approach of trying to find partners to work with in building infrastructure.

She wrote an op-ed last month with David Peerla — a former Greenpeace activist turned First Nations consultant — calling on the federal government to stop projects like this.

In fact, on February 19, 2020, the federal government asked Scott’s group — the Osgoode Environmental Justice and Sustainability Clinic — to help organize a regional impact assessment of the Ring of Fire.

I don’t expect Scott and her allies to call for anything but an end to any development.

{Snip}

Premier Ford said this project has the ability to change lives in Northern Ontario and blamed the former Liberal government for spending $21.6 million on “Bay St. lawyers” and getting nothing done.

“We’re focused on making sure two communities, two First Nations communities lead this process,” Ford said.

{Snip}

The federal government could still shut this all down. The feds have the ability to demand their own environmental assessment or invoke the “duty to consult” as ways to stop this project from going forward.

Given Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s record, especially in the last few weeks, we can’t rule that out.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... ivers-seat
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Gone_Fishin
Guru

Re: Trudeau gov't takes steps to keep First Nations in pover

Post by Gone_Fishin »

There are many people (of all races) heavily invested in what First Nations lawyer and author Calvin Helin calls "The Indian Industry." The Laurentide Elite that sponsor Justin Trudeau and pull his puppet strings have a vested interest in the Indian Industry, so there's little wonder why Trudeau is doing his damnedest to deny Indigenous people the opportunity to pull out of poverty.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Biden to yell “C’mon Man” repeatedly until oil imports increase.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

What if we build it. Only to have them blockade it once goods and services start using the road. Personally I will never sign a contract involving native land after what has happened recently. I hope more businesses take the same approach.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

You have to remind yourself that we're dealing with 3-4% of the population of Canada .
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Re: Trudeau gov't takes steps to keep First Nations in poverty

Post by GordonH »

bumped up

Besides keeping First Nations in poverty (along with undrinkable water) also sending expired vaccines their way, whoever was the :swear: idiot thought this was a good idea.... needs to be fired. To hell with giving them severance pay.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... -for-weeks

If this is Provincial thing then Premier Ford needs to be held accountable.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote: Sep 24th, 2021, 4:33 pm bumped up

Besides keeping First Nations in poverty (along with undrinkable water) also sending expired vaccines their way, whoever was the :swear: idiot thought this was a good idea.... needs to be fired. To hell with giving them severance pay.

I don't think they were sent expired vaccines, though. As I understand it, the vaccines thawed after they were received - which meant the expiry date on the vials was no longer correct.
The First Nation says the shipment was received in July and was originally set to expire in October.

But because the vials were thawed, they were good for only 31 days — until Aug. 9. The new expiry date was noted on the box but not on the individual vials, in accordance with Indigenous Services protocol.
The story's written to avoid saying who received them.
Ideology...gives evil-doing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination...[it] is the social theory which helps to make his actions seem good instead of bad in his own and others' eyes...
-Solzhenitsyn
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

GordonH wrote: Sep 24th, 2021, 4:33 pm bumped up

From the wording in this article from the CBC, it sounds like someone from the federal level messed up.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/s ... -1.6188281
Keep on Truckin
Brass Monkey
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Brass Monkey »

Deleted.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald

Return to “Canada”