Poll: airline bailout

wisdom01

Poll: airline bailout

Post by wisdom01 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/2982 ... nes#298266

For Westjet I'd consider it, for Air Canada not a chance, they have been gouging us for decades ... someone else will fill the void.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Poll: airline bailout

Post by fluffy »

I commute between the Okanagan and Alberta for work, and use both airlines. I find their prices and service levels to be pretty much the same. Price differences based on seat availability are pretty much an industry standard, only so many economy seats per flight. I prefer WestJet because they fly east out of Penticton while all Air Canada flights route through Vancouver, but at the end of the day it’s price and scheduling that rule my decision.

With that in mind I can’t see a good reason to treat the two airlines differently should some sort of assistance become available. Any attempt to treat one better than the other would most certainly elicit a crap-storm of epic proportions.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

wisdom01 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/298266/Should-the-federal-government-bail-out-Canadian-airlines#298266

For Westjet I'd consider it, for Air Canada not a chance, they have been gouging us for decades ... someone else will fill the void.

Have a look at where Air Canada is headquartered, then look at where Westjet is headquartered, then ask yourself if the Liberal federal government is going to treat both airlines the same. I think you already know.

Air Canada's corporate headquarters are in Montreal, Quebec, while its largest hub is at Toronto Pearson International Airport. The airline's regional service is Air Canada Express.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Air Canada can go twist in the wind as far as I'm concerned. :-X
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

They are both :cuss: thieves in a country that allows them to be :cuss: theives. We need competition here like in the US and especially Europe for truly affordable travel. Last minute travel in Europe.......some of the CHEAPEST fares.........last minute Canada........get a loan!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

lesliepaul wrote:They are both :cuss: thieves in a country that allows them to be :cuss: theives. We need competition here like in the US and especially Europe for truly affordable travel. Last minute travel in Europe.......some of the CHEAPEST fares.........last minute Canada........get a loan!

We've had lots of competition over the years, but they all end up folding because they can't survive in our limited market. The airline market in the US and Europe is very different than it is in Canada hence why different airline business models survive there and not here:

Europe has an area of about 10 million square kilometres with a population of over 740 million.
The US has an area of almost 10 million square kilometres with a population of 328 million.
Canada has an area of almost 10 million square kilometres with a population of 37 million.

On top of that, aviation related taxes and fees are extremely high in Canada which makes it even more difficult.

As for bailouts, any business that has been brought down to its knees through Government mandates cutting off their revenue should be bailed out period, end of story.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have to wonder that even if the borders were still open how many people would be flying? Air travel has become synonymous with getting sick. I flew from Penticton to Calgary last week on my way back to work, I was one of six passengers on a flight that used to run full all the time. The airlines are hurting as much as anyone, and through no fault of their own.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

fluffy wrote:I have to wonder that even if the borders were still open how many people would be flying? Air travel has become synonymous with getting sick. I flew from Penticton to Calgary last week on my way back to work, I was one of six passengers on a flight that used to run full all the time. The airlines are hurting as much as anyone, and through no fault of their own.

Problem is, where are they gonna go? Disneyland is shut down. Vegas is shutdown, hotels and tourist attractions around the world are shutdown.

To add to the bleakness, not many people are gonna have money (or even jobs) to travel anywhere once restrictions are lifted, so the airlines are going to be hurting for a long time to come.
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

In a fairy tale it would be nice to think that the airline industry would learn from this and actually clean their airplanes properly between flights. Many documentaries have shown airplanes to be one of the germiest places around, hence so many people get sick after being packed on the tube of disease, breathing recycled air. But hey, cleaning takes time and money and ain't going to happen.

As for travel in the future, people have short memories, once this virus thing is declared done and people get back to work all will return to the way it was ...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

wisdom01 wrote:Air Canada not a chance, they have been gouging us for decades

No they haven't actually. Well, maybe to those who don't understand airline economics.

wisdom01 wrote:But hey, cleaning takes time and money and ain't going to happen.

Well of course it does, and wasting that time and money isn't a realistic option for something that isn't a serious threat to the general public under normal circumstances.
wisdom01 wrote:As for travel in the future, people have short memories, once this virus thing is declared done and people get back to work all will return to the way it was ...

One would hope that people get back to travelling as soon as possible.

I'm hopeful that the vast majority of people have the common sense not to become oversensitive germaphobes and start to live a normal and happy life as quickly as they are able to.
Last edited by OKkayak on Apr 25th, 2020, 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Post by ksnosheeple »

Trudy's got the money printing press fired up and giving everybody or their dog (but not their grandparents) money. Wrong approach but we are so far down this road why not the airlines too.
To those that are blaming the airlines for high prices. That's like blaming the grocery store for the high cost of milk. Don't forget the airport improvement fee and you don't see the landing fees and other charges to the airlines. YLW isn't too bad, but all that glass & stainless steel in those other Canadian airports is all tacked on your ticket. Don't forget the carbon tax on the jet fuel too. If you compare costs with other countries we're getted hosed bigly. A bit of it is from the restrictions to competition but most of the high costs is all the taxes.
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

ksnosheeple wrote:Trudy's got the money printing press fired up and giving everybody or their dog (but not their grandparents) money. Wrong approach but we are so far down this road why not the airlines too.
To those that are blaming the airlines for high prices. That's like blaming the grocery store for the high cost of milk. Don't forget the airport improvement fee and you don't see the landing fees and other charges to the airlines. YLW isn't too bad, but all that glass & stainless steel in those other Canadian airports is all tacked on your ticket. Don't forget the carbon tax on the jet fuel too. If you compare costs with other countries we're getted hosed bigly. A bit of it is from the restrictions to competition but most of the high costs is all the taxes.

Absolutely agree ... the extra charges are outrageous in this country, especially in places like YVR.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ksnosheeple wrote:Trudy's got the money printing press fired up and giving everybody or their dog (but not their grandparents) money. Wrong approach but we are so far down this road why not the airlines too.

User fees target those using the services, imo works very well. Why should all taxpayers have to pay, since many don't use the airports.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

GordonH wrote:

User fees target those using the services, imo works very well. Why should all taxpayers have to pay, since many don't use the airports.

Well, I'd totally agree with you if I as a taxpayer didn't have to support the arts, parks, schools when I don't have kids, etc ... make them pay their own way and I'll have lots left over for airport fees. Airports are part of the national infrastructure and I would argue more critical than a lot of things us taxpayers pay for.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Take your issues up with tax people.
I don't have kids and have no issues paying my property tax.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Canada”