Gun Control

ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Gun Control

Post by ksnosheeple »

CBC reporting on gun ban coming.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libera ... -1.5549969

Shocked to see Anschutz rifles are not on the list in this story. Anshutz are an ominous semi-automatic rifle with a multiple fire clip. Many of us live in fear that a bi-athlete will snap under the discrimination they are under and go on a killing spree. There is no good reason to have firearms on cross-country trails.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Order in council gun ban

Post by GordonH »

ksnosheeple wrote:CBC reporting on gun ban coming.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libera ... -1.5549969

Shocked to see Anschutz rifles are not on the list in this story. Anshutz are an ominous semi-automatic rifle with a multiple fire clip. Many of us live in fear that a bi-athlete will snap under the discrimination they are under and go on a killing spree. There is no good reason to have firearms on cross-country trails.

Oh yeah those biathlon people keep me up at night with the most unbelievable nightmares. :laugh:

Of course the availability of most any firearm on black market isn't being addressed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

No doubt about it, the wrong people will always be able to obtain firearms for whatever nefarious purpose they have in mind for us.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Finally! There is no need for any civilian to own a military assault rifle. If there's one good thing to come out of the Nova Scotia killings, it's our government finally growing the huevos to stop talking and do something.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

So just how do you differentiate a 'military assault rifle' from a 'sporting carbine' used for sport shooting and hunting ?
Possibly the same way a yard pruning machette is different from the machettes used in 3rd world countries for mass genocide.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I think it's pretty obvious. Even non-gun owners know that we're talking about by name. Kids who play video games know exactly what guns are being banned. A lot of people find assault rifles sexy - the badder the better, as sick and demented as that is.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Here's an interesting piece of news regarding guns....

There was a protest against the shut down of the state of Michigan in their capital, Lansing, yesterday. Many of the protestors were carrying long guns and even assault type rifles. Some of the legislators were actually wearing bullet proof vests.

In describing he incident a reporter speculated "well perhaps those carrying firearms in the capital building were made to unload them".

In the next segment on the protest the reporter announce that she had checked with authorities.

Those fire arms being carried during the protest were fully loaded and because Michigan is an "open carry" state, they had every right to possess them in the capital building.

The reporter went on to say, "but it is illegal for protestors to carry signs in the capital building".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

my5cents wrote:Here's an interesting piece of news regarding guns....

There was a protest against the shut down of the state of Michigan in their capital, Lansing, yesterday. Many of the protestors were carrying long guns and even assault type rifles. Some of the legislators were actually wearing bullet proof vests.

In describing he incident a reporter speculated "well perhaps those carrying firearms in the capital building were made to unload them".

In the next segment on the protest the reporter announce that she had checked with authorities.

Those fire arms being carried during the protest were fully loaded and because Michigan is an "open carry" state, they had every right to possess them in the capital building.

The reporter went on to say, "but it is illegal for protestors to carry signs in the capital building".

When I saw footage of the Michigan protests I couldn't believe that civilians were standing around with assault rifles. Some were even dressed like Special Forces guys. You have to bet a lot of them were just hoping for an opportunity to start shooting. Would be scary as hell to be a cop or even a civilian in an environment like that.
tomloudon

Post by tomloudon »

This liberal government is right out to lunch thinking these new gun bans will stop gun crime. Lets go one step further, all vehicles will have to have interlock devices installed to stop drunk driving and drug impaired driving.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The guns on the to be banned list don't appear to be the kind most hunters would use, so in that sense I don't have a problem with the list. However, I do have a problem with suddenly banning something that used to be legal, and then not compensating the owners.

The Liberals originally said they would have some kind of buy back program, but apparently that idea has now gone by the wayside.

The other problem I have is that unless they find a way to prevent these weapons from being illegally smuggled into Canada, I don't think this ban is going to reduce gun crime by a significant amount. Because most of the gun crimes committed are done with illegal, not legal, weaponry. And as crooks don't abide by laws, any such weapons they already have will NOT be handed in.

So, at the end of the day, this is a "feel good" law that probably won't reduce gun crime by a significant enough amount to justify taking peoples property away, with little to no compensation for their loss.
Last edited by Merry on May 1st, 2020, 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Justin: hey, here's an idea, let's confiscate private property from our law abiding citizens while we let criminals out of prison so they don't get sick.

The stupidity and utter ineffectiveness of Trudeau's confiscation act, which he is putting through without debate in the House of Commons, is off the chart.

Democracy in Canada is non-existent when a single person can rise up, confiscate your property, and do so without any Parliamentary oversight.

It's a sad day for Canadians. Those who fought the Nazi tyranny off must be rolling over in their graves as Justin Trudeau follows in Hitler's footsteps.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Merry wrote:The guns on the to be banned list don't appear to be the kind most hunters would use, so in that sense I don't have a problem with the list. However, I do have a problem with suddenly banning something that used to be legal, and then not compensating the owners.

90% on that list are used worldwide for hunting.

Armalites are one of the most popular deer hunting rifles in North America.

A 416 Weatherby single shot moose hunting rifle is now banned.

You think this isn't a hunting rifle? Trudeau just banned it.

Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

techrtr wrote:When I saw footage of the Michigan protests I couldn't believe that civilians were standing around with assault rifles. Some were even dressed like Special Forces guys. You have to bet a lot of them were just hoping for an opportunity to start shooting. Would be scary as hell to be a cop or even a civilian in an environment like that.

I agree with you, but what does that have to do with the Canadian Order in Council?

The behaviour we all witnessed in Michigan would not be allowed here in Canada, with or without these new restrictions.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Pete Podoski wrote:
Merry wrote:The guns on the to be banned list don't appear to be the kind most hunters would use, so in that sense I don't have a problem with the list. However, I do have a problem with suddenly banning something that used to be legal, and then not compensating the owners.

90% on that list are used worldwide for hunting.

Armalites are one of the most popular deer hunting rifles in North America.

A 416 Weatherby single shot moose hunting rifle is now banned.

You think this isn't a hunting rifle? Trudeau just banned it.

Are you sure, because a Weatherby wasn't on the list I was looking at?

Here's the list I was reading - https://thegunblog.ca/2020/04/29/libera ... c-reports/
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Any firearm over 10,000 joules.

That includes any of the larger magnum hunting rifles, Weatherbys, Sakos, Brownings, Winchesters - any brand.
Last edited by Pete Podoski on May 1st, 2020, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”