Gun Control

crookedmember
Banned

Re: Gun Control

Post by crookedmember »

Fancy wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 1:36 pm There are over 900,000 registered handguns in Canada according to Public Safety.
Likely more than that in Dallas alone.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 1:52 pm Likely more than that in Dallas alone.
No doubt but trying to get ones hands on a handgun in Canada is a whole different story with the hoops one needs to jump through. Some of it I don't think is fair.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 1:52 pm
Fancy wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 1:36 pm There are over 900,000 registered handguns in Canada according to Public Safety.
Likely more than that in Dallas alone.
Without posting same numbers over and over again, it is more than clear , countries that accept rational gun controls have a way less crimes involving guns.
Even if you adjust for population, canada still has thousands times less gun crimes. it only makes sense any loosening of restrictions we have now would cause our gun crimes to go up. it's common sense.
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Interesting reading and made me wonder if the registered handguns in Canada included law enforcement or is law enforcement weapons counted separately?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The only trouble with stand your ground is by the time I get the gun out, loaded, and get outside to confront the thief they are long gone.
mikest2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mikest2 »

The Liberals can't tell us why they have banned certain firearms (OIC) or will ban firearms, it would contravene section 39

"Liberals are using it as a shield to effectively claim that whatever evidence was used in their decision to ban and confiscate the legally owned and used private property of law-abiding Canadian citizens is so sensitive as to be a state secret and threat to national security should anybody outside of cabinet be allowed to see it."

You need to read...............

https://www.thesudburystar.com/opinion/ ... tification
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

It appears the mass killers have won thanks to the Liberals and the anti-gun crowd. Not only have these killers destroyed the lives of the innocent, but now their actions are more damaging and more profound as the government is now attacking innocent gun owners and labeling them public enemy number one. A driver of a car or truck can snap at any time and mow down innocent people on the sidewalk or in a crowd like in the Toronto van attack. But that is very rare, as with these mass killers who use guns. Now the Liberals will spend billions harassing and persecuting gun owners who are not a threat. These mass killers must be very pleased that their actions have far reaching consequences and that they have hurt even more people than they killed and wounded. Once again the Canadian government is repeating itself with the persecution of the innocent, just like they did to Japanese Canadians and Ukrainian Canadians and native peoples who they also considered to be a threat.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Fancy wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 4:20 pm The only trouble with stand your ground is by the time I get the gun out, loaded, and get outside to confront the thief they are long gone.
You're slow. I can unlock and load in 23 seconds. Before anyone makes it past my driveway I'll be ready.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sparki55 wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 6:40 pm
Fancy wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 4:20 pm The only trouble with stand your ground is by the time I get the gun out, loaded, and get outside to confront the thief they are long gone.
You're slow. I can unlock and load in 23 seconds. Before anyone makes it past my driveway I'll be ready.
You're good - I have to remember the combination to the safe.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 4:35 pm Gun control is here to stay in Canada, and more control is coming due to its overwhelming popularity and effectiveness. Few Canadians want to move towards the horrendous dumpster fire of school shootings and gun-assisted domestic violence plaguing our neighbour to the south.

More access to guns is a losing issue for any political party in Canada, as Mr. O'Toole found as he flip-flopped his way through the last campaign trying to appease the gun nuts, while not horrifying the vast majority.

Res ipsa loquitur.

Gun deaths in Canada are 3/100K, but death by Covid is 626/100K.

There seems to be a much greater concern over gun deaths by the federal government.
Confirmed Deaths Case‑Fatality Deaths/100K pop
2,723,166 203,750 7.5% 626.72
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

gun control laws are a joke, it does not stop these g oofs https://globalnews.ca/news/8529134/teen ... k-toronto/
guess its a culture thing i guess
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Fancy wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 7:29 pm You're good - I have to remember the combination to the safe.
Haha yeah, I'd probably blank and panic in an actual event lol. My normal time is for grabbing a shotgun to go target practice lol with 1 box of ammo.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Up-thread someone replied to me with the idea that gun owners aren't against gun control, they just don't want more gun control and no more bans and in another reply it was suggested that any reference to the American gun dumpster fire was irrelevant because we're not American, their culture is so different than ours...but now people on that side of the argument are talking about how they wish we had "stand your ground" laws, which are a true blue American thing. Along with it's equally star-spangled cousin "open carry", it is anathema to most Canadians. Not one of the "pro gun" side here has spoken up and said "wait a second, we don't want that, we don't want to emulate American gun laws". If I saw someone on here that said "ban all guns, period", I can honestly say I would voice my disagreement with that idea, that's extreme and not necessary or wanted...and I am saddened that no one on the pro gun side has the balls to stand up to their own side like that. You can't have it both ways, you can't tell people not to look south and see what a horrible mess that is (because, look, Switzerland! lol) or that fairly stringent gun control is okay, just not bans, and then not call out the extreme positions on your side. It's those extreme positions that make people support things like the bans you're trying to avoid.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The laws are different between Canada and United States:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law
The laws we have now in Canada I believe are sufficient.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

oldtrucker wrote: Jan 22nd, 2022, 2:03 pm
Catri wrote: Jan 22nd, 2022, 1:51 pm American, their culture is so different than ours...but now people on that side of the argument are talking about how they wish we had "stand your ground" laws, which are a true blue American thing.
How is protecting your self, property etc just a American thing? Not directing at anyone in particular here, but I honestly don't understand how even anti gun hard left ultra woke don't agree with 'stand your ground' in general.
Under Canadian law you're allowed to defend yourself and your property, with reasonable force. Using a firearm to defend your property or yourself, particularly from someone who is unarmed (but even if they are in most cases I think), is not acceptable. Civilians shooting people is against the law in Canada and always has been. It shouldn't be that hard to understand. "Stand your ground" is an American concept that isn't and has never been in line with Canadian laws or values. Stop applying politics to this, it's not a left or right thing. That's kind of the crux of my post, you need to hear from people on your side of the argument (which may or may not overlap with your political views), unless they were lying about their actual agenda, to explain to you why that's not cool.

Return to “Canada”