Gun Control

jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Order in council gun ban

Post by jimmy4321 »

Pete Podoski wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:Yeah i didn't read into the entire thread, sounds like this is alot about nothing. Won't effect Canadian hunters

90% of the firearms on the list are used for hunting.

Hunting what? "Any firearm over 10,000 joules."

Honestly I never really cared how many joules a .30-30 put out but a quick look says 2000joules at 100 yards.

So what's the issue ?
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

hobbyguy wrote:
Pete Podoski wrote:Any firearm over 10,000 joules.

That includes any of the larger magnum hunting rifles, Weatherbys, Sakos, Brownings, Winchesters - any brand.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the largest caliber hunting rifle I could ever see as be useful in Canada. .375 Magnum, and the energy listed is 5,915 joules.

Ya, if you go for a 50 calibre sniper round you will be over the 10,000. But nobody needs that over kill, and I have never seen anyone use a 50 for hunting. There is no legitimate sporting use for a 50.

But I am not surprised to hyperbole about the changes from a few. The few do not have the right to put the many at risk. Just as even though I have explosives training, I am not allowed to own explosives - despite the fact that there are more legitimate uses for explosives in civil society than there are for a 50 cal.

You're wrong again.

A 460 Weatherby is a very popular moose hunting cartridge, and is now banned.

Explain why moose hunting rifles are "assault weapons."

How is a single shot 416 Weatherby more of an "assault weapon" (no one has defined that term) than a 308 Winchester.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

From what I’ve read absolutely every firearm with a bore greater than 20mm, regardless of muzzle velocity joules is now banned in Canada. There’s lots of black powder shooters that will have to give up their muzzle loaders.. fortunately my grandpa’s 10 gauge just squeaks by with 0.30 mm to spare.

ETA: Here’s where I got the info about 20mm being banned.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 9Px_kNJvR3
“ What is prohibited by characteristics

The Government of Canada has also prohibited any firearms that have a muzzle energy greater than 10,000 joules, such as a rifle chambered for .50 BMG.

Any firearms with a bore diameter of or exceeding 20mm falls under the new prohibition.

A total of 450 known models falling under these characteristics have been listed in the regulations, though the briefing noted that any firearms with these characteristics are banned, whether listed or not.

“The government has concluded that the potential power of these firearms exceeds any safe civilian use,” the government presentation states, as “even the largest common hunting calibres fell well below these thresholds.”
Last edited by Hurtlander on May 1st, 2020, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

jimmy4321 wrote:
Hunting what? "Any firearm over 10,000 joules."

Honestly I never really cared how many joules a .30-30 put out but a quick look says 2000joules at 100 yards.

So what's the issue ?

Banning a moose hunting rifle won't stop a gang-banger from shooting the other guy that sells meth on his street corner.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Hurtlander wrote:From what I’ve read absolutely every firearm with a bore greater than 20mm, regardless of muzzle velocity joules is now banned in Canada. There’s lots of black powder shooters that will have to give up their muzzle loaders.. fortunately my grandpa’s 10 gauge just squeaks by with 0.30 mm to spare.

Exactly. Provinces like Alberta have muzzleloader hunting seasons for deer. B.C. had one too from what I've read.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Pete Podoski wrote:
Hurtlander wrote:From what I’ve read absolutely every firearm with a bore greater than 20mm, regardless of muzzle velocity joules is now banned in Canada. There’s lots of black powder shooters that will have to give up their muzzle loaders.. fortunately my grandpa’s 10 gauge just squeaks by with 0.30 mm to spare.

Exactly. Provinces like Alberta have muzzleloader hunting seasons for deer. B.C. had one too from what I've read.

Yup, pretty stupid.. any firearm with a bore of 20mm or greater is now banned regardless of the muzzle velocity, even if the muzzle velocity is considerably less than 10,000 joules.... hobbyists can no longer have 18th century replica cannons to fire off during special occasions.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Hurtlander wrote:Yup, pretty stupid.. any firearm with a bore of 20mm or greater is now banned regardless of the muzzle velocity, even if the muzzle velocity is considerably less than 10,000 joules.... hobbyists can no longer have 18th century replica cannons to fire off during special occasions.

We all know that the gang community in downtown Toronto uses replica cannons to shoot people on the street for unpaid drug debts.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote: hobbyists can no longer have 18th century replica cannons to fire off during special occasions.

But according to "Hobby-guys", this is ok, because those replica cannons are "people killers"....this is what happens when governments make knee-jerk reactions to perceived problems. All to appease their urban voting base.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Wooo!

I feel safer already. :135:
Thanks to our tear streaked, buffoon of a PM!

This will costs us all millions....years of court challenges and be reversed when the Cons get back into office.

Justin doing what he does best....*bleep* away money and time while furiously virtue signaling for all his adoring fans.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Post by ksnosheeple »

90% on that list are used worldwide for hunting.

Armalites are one of the most popular deer hunting rifles in North America.

A 416 Weatherby single shot moose hunting rifle is now banned.

You think this isn't a hunting rifle? Trudeau just banned it.

Image[/quote]
Are you sure, because a Weatherby wasn't on the list I was looking at?

Here's the list I was reading - https://thegunblog.ca/2020/04/29/libera ... c-reports/[/quote]
This will be your hunting rifle if the Liberals get another term. Sans the magazine of course.
nerf.PNG
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Justin has given himself the option to confiscate your 30-30 that you buy to replace the .308 he just banned, too.

"There is also a risk that affected firearms owners may elect to replace their firearms with models unaffected by the ban, causing a market displacement. This risk may be mitigated by adding additional makes and models to the list of prohibited firearms in the future."
MilesDyson
Fledgling

Post by MilesDyson »

The State's monopoly on violence increases.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

The charge for prosecuting law abiding citizens in Court will be "Possession of Illegal Weapons". For gang bangers and all others,
"Possession of "IRREGULAR" Weapons.
Found this comment here.

LILLEY: Trudeau lies and subverts democracy to push his anti-gun agenda
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... gun-agenda
Last edited by featfan on May 1st, 2020, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Trudeau lying his greasy *bleep* off to Canadians:

Police should decide limits on guns, not politicians, Trudeau says

Police, not politicians, should decide what restrictions to place on specific kinds of guns, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday, his Liberal government under renewed pressure to impose an outright ban on semi-automatic rifles.

Trudeau’s comments come after a group of people impacted by last year’s deadly Quebec City mosque shooting – a number of wounded, as well as family members of the six people killed – urged him to outlaw the military-style weapons outright.

He touted provisions of his government’s firearms bill, which once passed would restore the authority of RCMP experts to classify firearms without political influence, repealing cabinet’s authority to overrule Mountie determinations.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/08/police- ... deau-says/
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Justin Trudeau: "The fear in here is that registering guns is just the first step toward taking away guns. That's NEVER going to happen because here in Canada we have a culture that has grown up with guns."

Return to “Canada”