Gun Control

mikest2
Lord of the Board

Re: Order in council gun ban

Post by mikest2 »

honeymuffins wrote:Oh, you mean this responsible citizen?

*removed*

Not sure why anyone would need 20+ guns stashed in their trailer home.

PAL & RPAL guy getting investigated for homicide. Another law abiding gun owner.

Careful...."police believe a close family member could be involved in the shooting, something he completely denies."
If his name came up in he investigation (even if he were not suspected) the daily vetting of licensed firearms owners would have flagged him. His firearms may have been impounded as a precaution in the case that a "close family member" may be able to gain access to them.

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... ion#312092
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Goes to show how seriously the police treat anything to do with guns. Doesnt mean the guy with his guns held is guilty of wrong doing . Precautionary measures. I’m sure everyone is related to someone less than reliable doesnt make us bad . Theres a name for it. .
Strong and free
honeymuffins
Fledgling

Post by honeymuffins »

How many other PAL & RPAL holders out there similar to this guy?

There's more than a handful.

Another reason for city-wide handgun ban and assault weapons ban. Too many Kelowna homes filled with ammo and guns.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Zoso wrote:Goes to show how seriously the police treat anything to do with guns. Doesnt mean the guy with his guns held is guilty of wrong doing . Precautionary measures. I’m sure everyone is related to someone less than reliable doesnt make us bad . Theres a name for it. .

BTW, even in the US, just being in close proximity to guns leads the police to take away the guns. If you commit a crime, even if non-violent, and you're roommates with someone who legally owns firearms, and even if you have no idea that he does because they are locked away in a safe that you don't know about, you can be charged for being in possession of the firearms.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

honeymuffins wrote:How many other PAL & RPAL holders out there similar to this guy?

Another reason for city-wide handgun ban and assault weapons ban. Too many Kelowna homes filled with ammo and guns.

Similar how ? Height , weight , ethnicity , has relatives , lives in a trailer ?

Theres likely tens of thousands not a few .

Hes not in the city or even kelowna .

Whats the reason ? And not just a grasping answer .
Strong and free
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

discussing the West Kelowna investigation here:
https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.p ... 6#p2703016
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:
Zoso wrote:Goes to show how seriously the police treat anything to do with guns. Doesnt mean the guy with his guns held is guilty of wrong doing . Precautionary measures. I’m sure everyone is related to someone less than reliable doesnt make us bad . Theres a name for it. .

BTW, even in the US, just being in close proximity to guns leads the police to take away the guns. If you commit a crime, even if non-violent, and you're roommates with someone who legally owns firearms, and even if you have no idea that he does because they are locked away in a safe that you don't know about, you can be charged for being in possession of the firearms.

I have personal knowledge to a similar circumstance as mentioned.
There was a violent incident at a home, where one person attacked another, a 3rd person stepped in and restrained the aggressor for the protection of the other, while she called 911.
The person that had the aggressor in a "bear hug" and waited for the police to show (A legal PAL & CPAL owner) was also arrested and all of his guns were seized, even though there were no guns involved.
Charges were dropped on the aggressor and the victim, but it took years of legal battles for him to get his guns back.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Does Bill Blair even know what he's talking about? He's lied so often that he can't keep his story straight any more. The incompetence and disarray in Justin Trudeau's government is collapsing our nation. Check out his direct contradiction of himself:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

honeymuffins wrote:How many other PAL & RPAL holders out there similar to this guy?

Wow...
Maybe we should just cull all idiots and morons instead. There’s plenty out there too.

The way our government is moving soon there’s going to be limits on internet access and mobile devices, or on how many shoes one may own!
Now that I think about it perhaps as a nation we should ban all types of running shoes and only permit police officers, while on duty to own them?
I think I own a pair or two, don’t ever wear them so why not. I can’t understand why anyone would have a need or want for more than one pair anyhow. They are only used for running. Sounds stupid doesn’t it!
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

honeymuffins wrote:Another reason for city-wide handgun ban and assault weapons ban. Too many Kelowna homes filled with ammo and guns.

Please explain how a such bans would stop criminals? Also, please define "assault weapons" since there isn't a definition in Canadian law for that.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

mikest2 wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:
And what about the responsible citizen part?

As long as I am responsible, this could never happen. Were I to be irresponsible, I could procure whatever I wanted illegally even if the firearm was banned. That's the point most people cannot grasp. When you make something illegal, the black market simply scales up to meet the demand.

You're a shooter, you know how fast and accurately fire a bolt or lever action rifle, and we all know how much more an effective killing machine a .308, .30-06, 30-30 are than a 5.56 or .223.

That is part of the point. That nobody needs weapons specifically designed to kill people including ammunition that is specifically designed to tumble within the body creating maximum damage and a slow death.

Hunting, target shooting for accuracy at distance. Nobody would use the silly AR-15 style weapons for that. Plenty of countries have banned such weapons and guess what? The world didn't end for hunters and target shooters.

Time to put away the little boy toys and do the adult thing and recognize that AR-15 style weapons have no place in an adult society outside of the military.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

36Drew wrote:
honeymuffins wrote:Another reason for city-wide handgun ban and assault weapons ban. Too many Kelowna homes filled with ammo and guns.

Please explain how a such bans would stop criminals? Also, please define "assault weapons" since there isn't a definition in Canadian law for that.

How about every time a criminal gets caught with a handgun they get charged with owning an illegal weapon? Easy peasey for the cops to prove that. This weapon was found in your possession - slam goes cell door!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

hobbyguy wrote:Time to put away the little boy toys and do the adult thing and recognize that AR-15 style weapons have no place in an adult society outside of the military.

^^^ That serves no purpose, should we ban it?
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

Despite all the virtue signalling regarding scary looking black guns ,crime related to gun use has gone up 40% ,the majority of it in Toronto. The problem is criminals with guns who really couldn’t give two :cuss: about gun laws. Courts and police are bogged down with a useless system with criminals back on the streets within hours, laughing at the system.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

hobbyguy wrote:How about every time a criminal gets caught with a handgun they get charged with owning an illegal weapon? Easy peasey for the cops to prove that. This weapon was found in your possession - slam goes cell door!

...and can you show that this isn't already happening? I mean, it's already illegal to possess a firearm without a license. Those firearms are usually illegally obtained (ie., they weren't bought in a store). So where is this already not happening?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Canada”