Gun Control

oldtrucker
Guru

Re: Order in council gun ban

Post by oldtrucker »

And because it applies to everyone except FN I think we should ignore JT and not take anything to seriously coming from this gov't after this political self serving act. He did it to divide and conquer- putting FN rights above other Canadians- and to get FN votes. Are you divided? Yup
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Typical bad parenting. If you don't play fair I'll take all your toys away!
Except the special kids, they don't have to play fair.
The worst leader meets the worst lobby group.
What could go wrong.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

oldtrucker wrote:And because it applies to everyone except FN I think we should ignore JT and not take anything to seriously coming from this gov't after this political self serving act. He did it to divide and conquer- putting FN rights above other Canadians- and to get FN votes. Are you divided? Yup

It's half political BS, and half because they know they'll never be able to grab them from reserves anyway.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

The only way to fix this BS is to make firearms ownership a right- before the libs get a chance to ban everything. I don't think the conservatives would have the guts touch that one though.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

bob vernon wrote:C'mon all you assault weapon owners. Do what Michiganders (yes, that's what they're called) did yesterday. They showed up in the state capital with automatic weapons and stormed the state legislature. C'mon, let's see a bunch of automatic toting right-wingers show up on Parliament Hill and show Justin who's right and wrong here. Wave some machine guns around and show who's the boss on this issue.

C'mon. Are ya all talk and no action?

Are you kidding? Canadians don't have the guts to do anything that's politically incorrect.
A Scheer needs to be a federal political party leader now, speak up, and start making 'some election promises'. I 'll bet a box of now valueless .223 rounds he wont.

Here is a petition for you to sign....something about guns I think
https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau ... _interrupt

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/29 ... one#298886
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Pete Podoski wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:Yeah i didn't read into the entire thread, sounds like this is alot about nothing. Won't effect Canadian hunters

90% of the firearms on the list are used for hunting.

Nonsense. Never seen anyone hunting with such weapons.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Pete Podoski wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:
Hunting what? "Any firearm over 10,000 joules."

Honestly I never really cared how many joules a .30-30 put out but a quick look says 2000joules at 100 yards.

So what's the issue ?

Banning a moose hunting rifle won't stop a gang-banger from shooting the other guy that sells meth on his street corner.

The number of 460 Weatherby's in Canada is minuscule. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/overrated-guns-hunting-pics/

"Any Rifle Chambered in .375, .378, .416 or .460 Weatherby Magnum"
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

What an eclectic bunch...

I've been around firearms my whole life. I got my first shotgun on my 12th birthday,and was only one of many kids in my neighborhood in North Glenmore who could be seen carrying a rifle down the street after school or on weekends during hunting season,or in the summer going to a local gravel pit for some target shooting. Very common once...

I can recall my neighbor taking his Dad's (a local firefighter) hunting rifle on the bus to school for show and tell.

Rifles in gun racks attached to truck rear windows were very common here in Kelowna and across Canada. You could once go to a bar all night with your rifle in the rack, ammo in the glove box or on the seat, leaving your vehicle unlocked, and it would never occur to someone to steal a rifle much less call the cops.

Point being, firearms were never as scary as they seem to be pronounced to be now.

What's changed?? Certainly not firearms. In my experience, any rifle can be used as an "assault rifle". During WW1, bolt action rifles were modified into semi autos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U682yOpNafg

If you are a legal, responsible gun owner, you are no more dangerous to the community with a Mini 14 than you are with a vintage .303 Lee Enfield in the hands of a skilled and trained operator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFYZHLuxXZ8

During my 4 years of military service (PPCLI), our FN's (.308) and later C7's (5.56) were never once called an "assault rifle" during training so I'm not sure which dog wagger came up with that term.

You can call any weapon or device an "assault" weapon if used to attack someone. Do we ever hear about "Assault" knives? Assault bow and arrows? Rocks? Baseball bats? Fists? Vehicles? Frying pans? Aircraft? Are these thing banned from use by citizens?

You can kill several human beings in short order with a ballpoint pen if you are that murderously oriented.

As far as the Mini 14 being banned, What about the Mini-30? Same design platform from the same manufacturer (Ruger) only chambered with an even more powerful round than the Mini14. The Mini 14's rolling bolt system is the same as that used on the widely used M1 Garand, yet Garands are legal to own.

I've owned and sold several Mini 14's and, and despite the wisdom of Justin the Lordly, I have slain several deer with a Mini 14 "assault rifle".

High capacity magazines for the Mini 14 have been unavailable in Canada for over 30 years. They only come with a 5 round mag. Why now, 20 years after L'Ecole Polytechnique, are we seeing this rifle being knee jerked into an Order of Council rather than going through the legislature?

My own currently preferred hunting rifle, (6.5 mm AG-42) which I also use for match shooting, is a Swedish WW2 semi automatic. In fact, it was the gas impingement system of the AG42 design that Eugene Stoner (inventor of the AR 15) copied to develop the iconic AR 15 style rifle, yet the AG42 comes standard with a 10 round magazine and is every bit if not more deadly than a largely inaccurate Mini 14 (by MOA comparison) and is not a restricted rifle or referred to as an "assault rifle".

The current tainted view of a military weapon is based on the design features of the AR15. This design is simply a stripped down, lighter weight, cheaper to operate, more portable version of all the wood stocked behemoths that came before it. It can be used to hunt just as easily as my AG 42 yet this design is being singled out. Why?

Several shotguns use the semi auto AR-15 platform but are also not banned, even with higher capacity mags and are capable of much more damage than a puny Mini 14.

Nope...

This is not about public safety. It's all about the optics of flim flam and the tail wagging the dog.

How much the public buys into this is up to the individual, but I for one can see this ban for what it is...

Another reason to vote out the cluelessly leaderless Liberal party and stash your Mini 14's in sealed pipes till this nonsense passes...

:up:
ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Post by ksnosheeple »

oldtrucker wrote:
seewood wrote:Question to those that are parliamentary savvy, Can an order in council be overturned easier than passing legislation by a future government?

No. Once it's done then it is nearly impossible to get it undone.
Edit...We would need a bunch of sitting Lib MP's to cross the floor at this point now to undo it. Ya...

More than that. Derek or Leslyn as leader would need to overhaul their party and turf the liberal infiltrators.
Last edited by ksnosheeple on May 1st, 2020, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnsteel74

Post by cdnsteel74 »

oldtrucker wrote:And because it applies to everyone except FN I think we should ignore JT and not take anything to seriously coming from this gov't after this political self serving act. He did it to divide and conquer- putting FN rights above other Canadians- and to get FN votes. Are you divided? Yup

Exactly, PET Jr is also trying to play Divide and Conquer with firearms owners themselves by mainly targeting semis. I have seen a number of posts on this forum and others with people saying "well they are not taking my hunting rifle, so why should I care?" type of responses.

I truly hope that there not hunters out there who believe that because, if anyone thinks that this little dictator will stop with only confiscating semi-autos, they are sadly mistaken.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

hobbyguy wrote:
Pete Podoski wrote:
90% of the firearms on the list are used for hunting.

Then how come Trudeau said First Nation's are exempt, and can continue to hunt with AR15’s ? Also, as pointed out in one of these threads is the only Canadians that have ever shot at RCMP officers with semiautomatic firearms are First Nation’s people’s.. one of those instances was the armed standoff at Gustafsen Lake, possibly another time was the armed Oka standoff .... The Trudeau liberals are just so :cuss:in stupid with all their political correctness bull :cuss: ...
But I digress, ensuring that our FN people’s remain full armed with semiautomatic “military style” assault weapons is part of Trudeau’s strategy to suck up to his masters in the UN to regain a seat at the UN Security Council..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

^^^ I'm thinking of joining the conservatives and maybe running for the leadership. :smt045
That'll learn 'em city slickers.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

oldtrucker wrote:
seewood wrote:Question to those that are parliamentary savvy, Can an order in council be overturned easier than passing legislation by a future government?

No. Once it's done then it is nearly impossible to get it undone.
Edit...We would need a bunch of sitting Lib MP's to cross the floor at this point now to undo it. Ya...

Actually that is incorrect. An order in council can be cancelled by a future government without much trouble. It gets done fairly regularly.

Example: The long form census was established by order in council, Harper then cancelled it with a new order in council, and JT brought it back with another order in council.

Orders in council need only be in compliance with existing legislation. So unless the legislation needs to be changed for the order in council to fall within it, it is quite straight forward to change an order in council.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

With the support from all sides excluding libs then sure. There are conservatives and NDPers that support this. That's why I'm saying it will be hard to change
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

hobbyguy wrote:
Pete Podoski wrote:90% of the firearms on the list are used for hunting.

The use of the word "weapons" shows a complete lack of understanding about firearms and firearm function. Downtown latte sippers at the Bean Scene have never left the city, let alone been hunting.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Canada”