Rex Murphy's Comments

Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Rex Murphy's Comments

Post by Hurtlander »

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-mu ... bing-times

<SNIP> “ A much more petty piece of the current mindlessness occurred in Toronto recently. One Elaine (Lainey) Lui, apparently a “performer” on eTalk and The Social, recently dumped rather viciously on Jessica Mulroney. Then we found out that she herself had written a number of racist and homophobic blog posts in the past.

Having been caught, she went the easy route and did one of the plastic and contrived public apologies that are now in vogue among the woke people who get trapped in their own hypocrisy. You know the lines: I have evolved; that was my earlier self; what a dirty rotten *bleep* I was, but not any more, because now I am a woke saint.
The strangest part was her central excuse. Lui is of Asian descent, but she had apparently been overwhelmed by forces outside her own heritage.

“I have been conditioned in white supremacy, and I have enabled white privilege, even as a person of colour myself, because we too, given that white supremacy is so dominant, can have bias.”

What she is really saying is that her faults and errors have nothing to do with her, with her agency, or with her outlook on the world. Instead, it was the great devouring monster of “white supremacy” that worked its hideous magic and, if only for a time (for she is better now), took her over.
What world are we living in? If Lui’s is the logic of the woke, I would not wish to see their brains when asleep. It would be a trip down Dante’s darkest corridors.“
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Rex Murphy's Comments

Post by Jlabute »

I always enjoy what Rex has to say. He’s been a regular commentator on CBC for 21 years and became 100% incompatible with the CBC and the Globe and Mail, both of which have a creepy left stance. To be liberal today is to be an enemy of such common sense bestowed to many but not most via a good education. I feel for Rex as he is sincerely concerned for Canadians amid the rise of the whacky-woke mob. Rex is concerned as leaders abandon order, and people abandon love for neighbour to be vicious politically aligned and empty ideologues.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Who is Rex Murphy and what does he have to do with this thread? It seems to be about a Ms. Liu.

And I don't consider most Chinese people I've seen to be "people of colour", notwithstanding the old Sunday School song describing them as yellow.

Not much more to say right now, other than, maybe, hypocrisy knows no skin colour exclusivity. It is a sad world-wide human trait.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

occasional thoughts wrote:Who is Rex Murphy and what does he have to do with this thread?

Maybe read the provided link? :138:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

National Post seems to have to apologize for Rex, sorry he comes across as an old troll who should retire.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

normaM wrote:National Post seems to have to apologize for Rex, sorry he comes across as an old troll who should retire.

His commentary on that lunatic from the Social blaming white privilege for her homophobia is bang on. Isn't this the same person who in January was screaming on "The Social" about Trump closing the borders to China due to COVID, and proclaiming how great and PC Canada was for keeping them open? How did that work out exactly? People like this are just the worst. Take no personal responsibility and blame everyone else. Just gross.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

OKkayak wrote:
occasional thoughts wrote:Who is Rex Murphy and what does he have to do with this thread?

Maybe read the provided link? :138:

Surely you jest?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

normaM wrote:National Post seems to have to apologize for Rex, sorry he comes across as an old troll who should retire.

Do you actually believe that Rex Murphy’s opinion in the above link I posted to be inaccurate ? You don’t find it important to expose the total hypocrisy of Ms Liu, or the hypocrisy of others in general ?
Personally I find it refreshing that there’s still a few, very few, columnists in the MSM that go against the grain of popular opinion, and publish articles that give people the opportunity to question things, and use critical thinking skills to examine the big picture, to examine both sides of the argument or situation..... The media is supposed to provide information and facts representing both sides of the issue, that’s how the media is supposed to function, it’s how the media used to function. These days unfortunately the media isn’t providing balanced facts and information, instead what we’ve got is most of is MSM media pulling hard to the left, and a small amount of online far right media.
So as an old white curmudgeon that’s always had an open mind, who’s always supported basic human rights and equality, I appreciate the fact that the National Post is one of the few MSM outlets that let columnists such as Rex Murphy publish their opinion each week to keep some balance in this rapidly descending “woke” world.
Póg Mo Thoin
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Well there goes his statue :138:
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have enjoyed Rex's commentaries for years, but lately I feel he has given in to the same thing he faults the CBC for, letting his political allegiances skew his objectivity. Too many these days are putting right & left ahead of right & wrong, and it is tearing our country apart. I watch what is happening south of the border and if that is any sort of indication of what the future holds for Canada then it's something to worry about.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

fluffy wrote:I have enjoyed Rex's commentaries for years, but lately I feel he has given in to the same thing he faults the CBC for, letting his political allegiances skew his objectivity.

Hmmm, what political allegiances and objectively are you talking about ?
Anyone that listened to Rex hosting CBC’s Cross Country Checkup over a twenty year period knows full well that Rex Murphy is very soft hearted, kind and liberal in his views. Just because Rex Murphy doesn’t take fools lightly, and hasn’t any patience for hypocrisy, ignorance and stupidity, that doesn’t arbitrarily mean he supports right wing politics or ideology. In fact, up until Justin Trudeau became the Liberal leader, and ruined the Liberal Party with all this politically correct woke bull *bleep*, Rex Murphy was himself a Liberal. So liberal in fact that Murphy twice ran, unsuccessfully, for the Newfoundland Liberals in the 1980’s, and several years ago when the CBC ran its “Greatest Canadian” series, Murphy advocated for PET... so no, Rex Murphy isn’t perfect. But just because Rex Murphy doesn’t suffer fools lightly, doesn’t mean he’s got any right wing political allegiances and skewed objectivity..
Póg Mo Thoin
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hurtlander wrote:But just because Rex Murphy doesn’t suffer fools lightly, doesn’t mean he’s got any right wing political allegiances and skewed objectivity..

I don't think we're getting the whole story about what drove him away from the CBC, but non-disclosure agreements are not uncommon when leaving high profile positions. What I see is a marked increase in his support for the Conservatives over the past few years, now whether this is a sideways effort to see the current government fail is something only Rex can answer, but it looks to me as if he has "crossed the floor" to facilitate a personal agenda.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Someone for whom you have respect, someone with a great deal of experience who has spent a lifetime thinking seriously about Canadian politics, shifted from supporting a party. He has not gone along with the current trend.

This should lead us to take a very serious look at whether or not there is something "off" about the current trend.

It seems to me if one has spent time and resources supporting the current trend, it would be easier (and certainly human nature) to believe instead that the admired person is facilitating a personal agenda, or is just plain wrong, and dismiss what he says rather than giving it any great thought. We saw this with people who refused to believe Jody Wilson Raybould was telling the truth. We see it with an admirer of PET who can't hear what PET says about rebellions.

Rex Murphy is well worth listening to. I don't always agree with him, but I always, always think very hard about what he has to say.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Once a respected commentator on the Canadian political scene. Now just a bitter and twisted influencer who writes every article with a preconceived opinion.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

We're in perilous times for those who care about free speech and the ability to question the prevailing narrative without being punished. I agree with Rex Murphy much of the time, not always, but whether or not I agree with everything he says isn't the point. A free society should be encouraging a range of opinions rather than restricting opinions. So have a look at what Conrad Black has to say and see what happened to him:

Before addressing what I believe is the defamatory fiction that this is a racist country, I must emphasize with some fervour that I have never felt or uttered a flicker of racial or sectarian disparagement. I undoubtedly benefited from what is now called the “white privilege” of having well-to-do parents, but I am more grateful to them for bringing my brother and me up to believe that all people, ethnicities and religions should be treated equally and with respect. Everyone should be proud of what they are, of themselves and act accordingly and respect others. As I wrote in this column last week, it is appalling that Canada is now so profoundly immersed in a quagmire of racial self-deprecation, even self-hate. It is impossible to turn on a newscast or pick up a newspaper in this country without some new protestation against the “systemic racism” (SR) of the country. There are some Canadians who are racially prejudiced, and there has certainly been some racial friction in this country in the past. Our Native policy has been generally unsuccessful but certainly in recent years, it has been well-intentioned. As I’ve written here before, Canada as a self-governing entity has never had any slavery and Canadians before and after they became self-governing in internal matters in 1848 had an admirable record in encouraging and accepting fugitive slaves from the United States, totalling about 40,000, and in giving refuge to anti-slavery activists, including John Brown and Harriet Tubman, who has now replaced U.S. President Andrew Jackson on the American $20 banknote (and considered herself a Canadian).

I have no standing to claim that there has not been discrimination against non-whites, though I can certainly assert that as an employer I have never practised nor tolerated it, and I can also assert that the overwhelming majority of our countrymen is as militantly opposed to it as I am. Two weeks ago I said in what was for several years my weekly Friday appearance with that great Canadian John Oakley (my old friend from my Montreal days, Peter Shurman, was actually substituting for John on this day), on Corus’ Global News Radio 640 Toronto, precisely that Canada is not systemically racist, that there are instances of racial discrimination, but that the overwhelming majority of Canadians are unprejudiced and equitable toward minorities. A cabal apparently arose within Corus among the more belligerent adherents to the SR view of Canada, and after a week of intense manoeuvre (that I was unaware of; I thought Ted Rogers’ family still owned the station), John Oakley called an hour before air time and said he had been “non-negotiably” told to tell me that my radio visits with him were cancelled permanently.
Full article: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad ... erfections

Some of you will be happy that Conrad Black is no longer allowed to air his views on the John Oakley Show every Friday. You disagree with his opinions and so you don't think those opinions should be heard. But this is exactly what Rex Murphy is talking about. How ironic and how hypocritical. We keep hearing about the need for diversity from some of the same people who are snuffing it out before our very eyes. As I say, perilous times.

Return to “Canada”