The "everything O'Toole" thread

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: The "everything O'Toole" thread

Post by Catsumi »

:topic: O’TOOLE
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Personally I am cautiously optimistic about O'Toole.

He seems to be presenting a more modern vision of what self identified conservatives in Canada often naturally align with.
Myself I am reminiscent of what is sometimes called a classical liberal, I am left socially but also have an inherent mistrust of large unchecked institutions. I have almost no faith in the ability of government to socially engineer as historically such efforts almost always become oppressive and go farther than the problem becoming problems themselves.

When I see O'Toole speak I get a sense that he is trying to move forward for all Canadians, not just particular power groups or traditional conservative support bases. He is reaching out to people who want to see Canada made stable and healthy for all of its citizens. He seems to view our global role as important but secondary to shoring up our own home, things I agree with.

While I have voted left most of my life, I am hopeful that he can lead the conservatives to a perspective and approach that could for once be unifying for Canada. While I didn't care for Harper as a PM, especially 2nd term, and never felt Scheer had the charisma or character for the role, O'Toole has an every man quality and a down to earth approach that is needed in Canada right now.

We really seem to have forgotten about the common cause in our politics nowadays, being far too eager to find people to blame and hate and not showing a willingness to roll up our collective sleeves and build a nation for all who are willing to do the work.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ts/opinion/star-columnists/2020/11/18/the-eight-ways-erin-otoole-is-copying-donald-trumps-playbook.html

"Some analysts suggest O’Toole is shifting the party so far to the left that at times he sounds like U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders or that he’s trying to steal traditional NDP voters. "

In truth, though, what O’Toole is doing is fashioning himself as Canada’s Donald Trump — but without the bombast, lies, bigotry and polarization that mark Trump’s presidency.

Indeed, O’Toole is openly stealing pages straight from Trump’s 2020 election strategy playbook."

SNIP

"O’Toole has time to fine-tune his Trumpian strategy before the next election. But a recent poll by the Angus Reid Institute indicated that his personal approval, while rising slightly, remains significantly below that of both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and NDP leader Jagmeet Singh.

Given how much Canadians despise Trump and much of what he stands for, it’s a risky strategy to copy the U.S. president’s playbook. Still, it’s a risk O’Toole seems eager to take."
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote:
[b]Given how much Canadians despise Trump "

What idiot would make such a stupid generalization like this? This is just dumb.

O'Toole wanting to make the Conservative tent a lot bigger makes a ton of sense. He has to fight the two-headed brainless monster of Justin and Jagmeet, so it's all hands on deck.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:
Given how much Canadians despise Trump "

What idiot would make such a stupid generalization like this? This is just dumb.

O'Toole wanting to make the Conservative tent a lot bigger makes a ton of sense. He has to fight the two-headed brainless monster of Justin and Jagmeet, so it's all hands on deck.

[b]How much do Canadians dislike Donald Trump? A lot.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/how-mu ... ump-a-lot/
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:135: The "everything O'Toole" thread :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

typhoon44 wrote:
How much do Canadians dislike Donald Trump? A lot.
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/how-mu ... ump-a-lot/

Right...if Macleans says it it must be true. Good grief what a stupid generalization by the Left. Just so disgusting.

:topic:

O'Toole adopting a strategy "like Trump's" (this sounds like moronic spin to me by the author) is brilliant if it means opening up the tent to take on the two-headed brain-dead monster.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

hobbyguy wrote:https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ts/opinion/star-columnists/2020/11/18/the-eight-ways-erin-otoole-is-copying-donald-trumps-playbook.html

"Some analysts suggest O’Toole is shifting the party so far to the left that at times he sounds like U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders or that he’s trying to steal traditional NDP voters. "

In truth, though, what O’Toole is doing is fashioning himself as Canada’s Donald Trump — but without the bombast, lies, bigotry and polarization that mark Trump’s presidency.

Indeed, O’Toole is openly stealing pages straight from Trump’s 2020 election strategy playbook."

SNIP

"O’Toole has time to fine-tune his Trumpian strategy before the next election. But a recent poll by the Angus Reid Institute indicated that his personal approval, while rising slightly, remains significantly below that of both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and NDP leader Jagmeet Singh.

Given how much Canadians despise Trump and much of what he stands for, it’s a risky strategy to copy the U.S. president’s playbook. Still, it’s a risk O’Toole seems eager to take."

"in truth"....nah, just someones opinion and a very begging the question sort of opinion.

If the writer can't make a valid argument without resorting to stretchy comparisons of extreme examples then they aren't making a coherent argument, they are making an emotional argument.

Try discussing O'Toole without leaning on the boogieman of Trump, you know like someone who argues with integrity and who can stay on topic.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

hobbyguy wrote:https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ts/opinion/star-columnists/2020/11/18/the-eight-ways-erin-otoole-is-copying-donald-trumps-playbook.html

SNIP

Hard to believe that some people believe what ever they are fed. Pick you media source carefully, and remember to read the facts, the rest is simply someone's opinion, And opinions are like What ? Everybody's got one !!
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It's becoming increasingly clear that the Liberals are going to do their best to paint O'Toole as being "like Trump" in the hope that the association will help ensure he doesn't become popular with most Canadians.

I doubt their strategy will work though, because O'Toole is nothing like Trump.

Sure, he's trying to make sure Conservative policies appeal to ALL groups in society, instead of just business owners, but that's a good thing, not a negative.

Some folks are so partisan that they'll continue to vote Liberal no matter what the policies of the other Parties may be. Whereas I, and folks like me, are more open to listening to all the different Party platforms and then deciding which one I think is best for Canada and Canadians.

So far, O'Toole's comments are "hitting all the right notes" with me. I'm not saying I agree with everything he says, because I don't think there's a single Party whose platform I agree with entirely, but I do like most of what I've heard from him so far.

We should give him a chance to tell us more about what he stands for, before jumping all over him and his ideas. Canada is ready for a fresh perspective on things, instead of simply "more of the same". And I think O'Toole may be just the man for the job.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Merry wrote:It's becoming increasingly clear that the Liberals are going to do their best to paint O'Toole as being "like Trump" in the hope that the association will help ensure he doesn't become popular with most Canadians.

I doubt their strategy will work though, because O'Toole is nothing like Trump.

Sure, he's trying to make sure Conservative policies appeal to ALL groups in society, instead of just business owners, but that's a good thing, not a negative.

Some folks are so partisan that they'll continue to vote Liberal no matter what the policies of the other Parties may be. Whereas I, and folks like me, are more open to listening to all the different Party platforms and then deciding which one I think is best for Canada and Canadians.

So far, O'Toole's comments are "hitting all the right notes" with me. I'm not saying I agree with everything he says, because I don't think there's a single Party whose platform I agree with entirely, but I do like most of what I've heard from him so far.

We should give him a chance to tell us more about what he stands for, before jumping all over him and his ideas. Canada is ready for a fresh perspective on things, instead of simply "more of the same". And I think O'Toole may be just the man for the job.

I believe the only tool the Liberals have left in their toolbox is to try and discredit O'Toole. It's getting really difficult for Trudeau to walk on water given all the times he's shot himself in the foot.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:

Merry - the leader of the Conservatives, no matter who, will always be dumped on. Look at Leslyn Lewis, even she, a strong, intelligent woman of color, was insulted and called a "goof" by the Liberal attack squad here. It's all they've got. We've even seen half-wits here insult O'Toole because of his body shape. These slime will never stop attacking, because they know if they are forced to defend the record of their meat-head leader JT, they are doomed.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

^^^

This, right there.

I've noticed this. I've got friends on both sides of the fence (liberal/ conservative). What I took notice of is the way a liberal is allowed to call a conservative a stupid redneck abs that they can't believe people have that opinion. If the same opinion is shared about a liberal supporter, the liberal immediately gets to go to a safe space.

It's almost like the feminism battle where one side has all the rights but both are technically "equal"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Sparki55 wrote:^^^

This, right there.

I've noticed this. I've got friends on both sides of the fence (liberal/ conservative). What I took notice of is the way a liberal is allowed to call a conservative a stupid redneck abs that they can't believe people have that opinion. If the same opinion is shared about a liberal supporter, the liberal immediately gets to go to a safe space.

It's almost like the feminism battle where one side has all the rights but both are technically "equal"

You nailed it.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

mikest2 wrote:

SNIP

Hard to believe that some people believe what ever they are fed. Pick you media source carefully, and remember to read the facts, the rest is simply someone's opinion, And opinions are like What ? Everybody's got one !!

Translation: cherry pick yourself into a narrow bubble where only confirmation bias matters.

The basic point is that O'Toole has a history with the Harper government, and a very public history in the Conservative leadership race, where he espoused "x" set of policies and positions - and now he is suddenly Audrey McLaughlin - and presenting a mixed bag of contradictory policies and positions.

In other words, saying anything to try to fool the voters. Ain't gonna work. O'Toole is defined by his past, and a corporate lawyer with history in the Harper government going all "union friendly" is just malarkey.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”