Defund the CBC

Should we stop the taxpayers' bailout of CBC?

Yes, they need to make it on their own
58%
No, I want more coverage of Trudeau's socks
42%

Total votes: 192

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Defund the CBC

Post by Gone_Fishin »

There's no reason to keep pumping billions into a state broadcaster that has only 3% viewership, as far as I'm concerned. The CBC is costing us dearly and has become far too politically biased.

Here's a prime example of why they need to sink or swim on their own.

CBC covered Trudeau’s socks and hair more than disgraced Liberal MPs

The CBC spent more time reporting on Trudeau’s physical appearance than they did on a Liberal MP who was arrested and two MPs who faced sexual harassment allegations.

Data shows that the CBC loves to talk about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s hair and socks.

In fact, the state broadcaster has dedicated 76 articles which mention either Trudeau’s hair, his beard or his hosiery.

Out of 98 mentions in these articles, Trudeau’s hair makes a total of 50 appearances, his socks are mentioned 43 times and his beard is referenced 5 times.

In comparison, the CBC spent more time reporting on the prime minister’s physical appearance than they did on the recent arrest of Liberal MP Marwan Tabbara over assault and other serious charges. Tabbara’s name only nets 60 results on the CBC website.

A number of former Liberal MPs who faced sexual harassment allegations were also relatively ignored including Darshan Kang who got 81 mentions and Massimo Pacetti who only received 73 hits.

Coverage of alleged RCMP spy Cameron Ortis was also overshadowed by Trudeau’s socks and hair, producing only 41 mentions by the CBC.

https://tnc.news/2020/09/09/cbc-covered ... iberal-mps
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Defund the CBC

Post by GordonH »

As it is I don’t watch or listen to cbc, so may as well see if they can generate their own revenue by going private.
Who knows maybe Rogers will buy just to go head to head against competition, CTV who’s owned by Bell.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I'm ok with CBC. Some of their programming wouldn't survive on for-profit media outlets, but it doesn't mean they don't need exposure.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Although the CBC has always been left leaning, I don’t believe historically that the CBC was politically partisan, just left. These days the CBC is very blatantly the politically partisan and biased propaganda wing of the Trudeau Liberals. There’s no question about it, Trudeau can do no wrong in the eyes of the CBC.
The CBC definitely had its place in Canadian history, for a very long time CBC radio and TV was the only option for much of rural Canada. However, now that those living in the most remote parts of Canada have access to satellite TV, radio and internet, the CBC needs to get off the government teat..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

The fear in the eyes of Rosie Barton and the other Trudeau hacks as Erin O'Toole surged forth to become leader with his pledge to remove the teat was as evident as the smirk of joy on Mansbridge's face when Trudeau won in 2015.

All Canadian media should be allowed to compete in the free market. Consumers would get better products at better prices as a result.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I've noticed the same thing, Hurtlander. As a teen I got hooked on CBC radio with As it Happens and the radio shows they broadcast in the evenings, then got addicted to their Saturday morning shows Basic Black, Double Exposure. Loved This is That - more than once they had me thinking "seriously!?" before I realized they'd caught me (again!) - enjoyed "Tapestry" and "Ideas" and "Between the Covers" and more while painting walls and refinishing furniture. Love "Age of Persuasion". Pretty much gave up on "Quirks and Quarks" as Bob mindlessly hyped more and more alarmism - science is all about asking questions, and as he continually failed to question I gave up.

One of my favourite moments recently was a conversation with Anna Maria Tremonte and David Suzuki. He was pontificating about how First Nations culture is superior because "they" "always" respect and heed what their elders say, and we should all listen to our seniors because seniors are wise. She said "Trump is a senior." ........ Dead silence from Suzuki, while I laughed my butt off. (Same interview he shared how when his daughter told him she was expecting, he was aghast that she would choose to bring a child into this "already overpopulated world" and his daughter told him "this child represents my hope for the future". Good on her. And good on the CBC for not editing those parts out.)

I would miss a few of CBC radio's programs, but NOT the propaganda that has now permeated the real-time conversations, the "news", and so much of their programming.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I would defund the CBC by maybe 50% and have them find a way to make up any difference, initially. The CBC is way more biased than it used to be and I've heard way too much propaganda which has shut me off from listening. Too offensive for my tender sensibilities. When a radio anchor mocks or laughs at callers with opposing views, the stupidity of CBC staff becomes glaringly ironic. The broadcaster is biased as are as the individual anchors who need you to focus on a particular side of many subjects.
Too much content on climate catastrophe, LGBT issues/music/stories/poetry, native issues/music/stories, renewable energy, racism, and liberal-love in general far far far over represents what the majority Canadians want to hear.

Yesterday after a week of abstinence, I tuned in at lunch just in time to hear a call-in student laughing about how crappy she did in calculus. I can only imagine that the theme of the show was if hard work is required to succeed, then it probably wasn't meant for you.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

A few days ago the CBC interviewed a residential school survivor. At prompting from the interviewer about the abuse she had experienced from the staff while attending, she had the guts and the decency to admit the nuns and priests had never abused her - it was her fellow students who burned her with cigarettes and sexually assaulted her while she was passed out. She then said this was because of the abuse they had experienced because of residential schools, and the interviewer agreed and quickly moved on: the expected narrative from this survivor was back in sync. Whew!

I get that this woman shouldn't have been made to explore the bigger questions her statement raised for anyone who thinks critically about this topic. For me, the CBC brought her on the air to promote and support the expected narrative - NOT to explore the veracity of that narrative.

And for me that encapsulates what the CBC has become. For that reason - not the single instance, but the overarching move to groupthink - I've voted defund it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The news is pretty good, the bio's and in depth interviews are mostly annoying cause its always the same *bleep*. They easily could survive on their own with simply the news but if I want to know about Trudeau's socks, hairs and eyebrows Castanet is where I go Lol
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Hell no. Having media that doesn't rely on private funding and ads is an asset to our country whether you agree with what they have to say or not.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

JLives wrote:Hell no. Having media that doesn't rely on private funding and ads is an asset to our country whether you agree with what they have to say or not.

If a media outlet is funded by the public then I shouldn't have to agree or disagree with what they're saying because it shouldn't be opinionated or biased in the first place. CBC is barely any better than american media.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote:Hell no. Having media that doesn't rely on private funding and ads is an asset to our country whether you agree with what they have to say or not.

Instead, they rely on the Liberal government for funds, and by proxy become a mouth-piece for the Liberals, which we see every day as evident in their bias. You can't watch Rosemary Barton on CBC for more than two minutes and she's desperately trying to find ways to pump the Liberal tires and tell everyone how great Justin Trudeau is.

I recognize the value of the CBC. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have Mr. Dress Up and the Beachcombers (I am being serious). We need to remember who we are. I just don't like how every network in countries like Canada, the UK and Australia, who have "Country Broadcasting Corp" as their name and initials have moved so so far to the Left, it is an insult to me and everyone else whose taxes pay for it. I don't want my tax dollars being used to promote diseased and disgusting far left agendas and propping up diseased governments like the current iteration of the Liberals. There has to be a better way.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Frisk wrote:If a media outlet is funded by the public then I shouldn't have to agree or disagree with what they're saying because it shouldn't be opinionated or biased in the first place. CBC is barely any better than american media.

We're a country of over 30 million people. It's inevitable that people will disagree with absolutely anything they say.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote:
We're a country of over 30 million people. It's inevitable that people will disagree with absolutely anything they say.

But imagine the outcry and screaming, and protests, and riots, if the CBC suddenly swung to the right, and started reporting things from a pro-Conservative anti-Justin Trudeau bent, as opposed to the dreck we have to watch now with Rosie B. pumping Justin at every possible moment? Imagine if they stopped pushing the man-made climate change hoax, and started discussing why Canada should be focusing on clean-burning fuels and low-cost energy instead of garbage solar and even garbageier wind power?

Imagine how that would go down?? DEFUND THE CBC would be screaming from the throat of every backward Leftist in Canada, from the dim-witted Naomi Klein on down. They would demand their own network to continue to spewing their Leftist garbage, and of course, they'd want the taxpayer to pay for it. It's not a problem right now, because they have what they want, a horribly biased taxpayer funded mouthpiece to spew their Leftist garbage.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

JLives wrote:
Frisk wrote:If a media outlet is funded by the public then I shouldn't have to agree or disagree with what they're saying because it shouldn't be opinionated or biased in the first place. CBC is barely any better than american media.

Doesn’t it bother you that the CBC doesn’t even try to be fair and balanced in its political reporting and commentary anymore ? For goodness sakes, the CBC doesn’t even given positive spin or lip service to the NDP or the Greens anymore, it’s all Trudeau all the time.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “Canada”