Defund the CBC

Should we stop the taxpayers' bailout of CBC?

Yes, they need to make it on their own
58%
No, I want more coverage of Trudeau's socks
42%

Total votes: 192

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Defund the CBC

Post by Glacier »

CBC is pushing Russian misinformation...
20230514_105346.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Defund the CBC.
CBC English TV has lost its relevance. It’s time to talk about that

For many progressives, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is an article of faith, a touchstone of modern Canada. For many conservatives, the CBC is an object of scorn, an elitist bastion that should be defunded.

And so an ideologically driven debate about the future of the public broadcaster spins around and around, immobilized between piety and outrage. In the meantime, the CBC itself is engaged in mission creep, with a dramatic increase in government funding under the Trudeau Liberals allowing it to increasingly crowd out private competitors.

What’s missing is a calm discussion of how the CBC is executing its mission, whether taxpayer dollars are well spent, and above all, how the 86-year-old broadcaster can still be relevant in the 21st century.

In the broadcaster’s most recent annual report, the CBC says its mission, in part, is to “reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences.”

By that measure, CBC English-language television is failing badly. CBC’s third-quarter report shows its share of the national prime-time viewing audience dropped to 4.4 per cent (excluding Saturday), down sharply from 7.6 per cent in 2018, and trending below target for the year. Or, to turn that around: 95.6 per cent of TV-viewing Canadians do not tune in to CBC’s English language prime-time programming.

Supper-hour newscasts in English-speaking markets are attracting tiny audiences. In Calgary, the CBC daily broadcast reaches just 20,000 people, on average.

As English TV audiences have been shrinking, the CBC’s annual government funding has increased, up nearly 21 per cent from 2016, to $1.24-billion in 2022. (That funding is for all of CBC’s operations, not just English television.)

snip

The economic landscape for the media has changed drastically in the last decade. The CBC is not the cause of those woes, but its drifting mandate is intensifying the pain. At the same time, Canadians have voted, by their actions, to move on from what has been at the CBC’s core, English television.

Two things are clear. The mandate of the CBC needs to adapt if it is to remain relevant, and that debate can only happen if Canadians get past the politicized debate about the broadcaster’s future.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... about-that
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^ :up:
Came on here to post something similar.

The Globe puts the spotlight on the $1.24-billion taxpayer-funded CBC.
During the week 4.4 per cent of TV-viewing Canadians tune in to the CBC’s English language prime-time programming, while 95.6 per cent don’t.
Yet the CBC's budget was increased by 21 per cent between 2016-2022.
 ~ The Globe and Mail
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 1:22 pm ^^^ :up:
Came on here to post something similar.

The Globe puts the spotlight on the $1.24-billion taxpayer-funded CBC.
During the week 4.4 per cent of TV-viewing Canadians tune in to the CBC’s English language prime-time programming, while 95.6 per cent don’t.
Yet the CBC's budget was increased by 21 per cent between 2016-2022.
 ~ The Globe and Mail
the great scam goes on
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Oh, look! The Minister is reviewing CBC's mandate!
REVIEWING CBC'S MANDATE
Are they reconsidering whether the CBC be used as a propaganda tool to convince Canadians to be what the government has decided Canadians should be?

Nope.

This government thinks the CBC needs to be even MORE reliant on government funding:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/42 ... dvertising
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

There's a National Citizens Inquiry going on. Seems a few former CBC employees spoke up about their former bosses.

Former CBC/CTV correspondent Rodney Palmer.
https://librti.com/view-video/testimony ... ses-the#dp

When former CBC journalist Trish Wood heard Palmer's testimony, she tweeted:
“As a former CBC journalist, watching Rodney Palmer's evidence about the corp's fall into absolute corruption was heartbreaking. I knew every word was true but he was so eloquent – I was broken-hearted about my old profession, yet again.  Bravo to the #NCI  @Inquiry_Canada.”

Marianne Klowak, a former CBC reporter with more than 30 years experience, testified about the deterioration of journalistic standards within CBC following the announcement of the COVID-19 pandemic. 
https://rumble.com/v2oqo4m-marianne-klo ... ic-ex.html

Former actor/comedian Cathy Jones, who starred on the CBC's “This Hour Has 22 Minutes” candidly shared her experiences in the work environment and her decision to retire early from CBC. Cathy also expressed her views on media censorship and the lack of investigative journalism over the past three years.
https://rumble.com/v2oi0ro-this-hour-ha ... awa-d.html

Former CBC employee Jean-Philippe Chabot shared his personal journey of losing his job due to his decision not to disclose his vaccine status.
https://rumble.com/v2or194-jean-philipp ... nada-.html

Soon all we will need is CBC telling us about how good life is in Canada.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:43 pm There's a National Citizens Inquiry going on. Seems a few former CBC employees spoke up about their former bosses.

Former CBC/CTV correspondent Rodney Palmer.
https://librti.com/view-video/testimony ... ses-the#dp

When former CBC journalist Trish Wood heard Palmer's testimony, she tweeted:
“As a former CBC journalist, watching Rodney Palmer's evidence about the corp's fall into absolute corruption was heartbreaking. I knew every word was true but he was so eloquent – I was broken-hearted about my old profession, yet again.  Bravo to the #NCI  @Inquiry_Canada.”

Marianne Klowak, a former CBC reporter with more than 30 years experience, testified about the deterioration of journalistic standards within CBC following the announcement of the COVID-19 pandemic. 
https://rumble.com/v2oqo4m-marianne-klo ... ic-ex.html

Former actor/comedian Cathy Jones, who starred on the CBC's “This Hour Has 22 Minutes” candidly shared her experiences in the work environment and her decision to retire early from CBC. Cathy also expressed her views on media censorship and the lack of investigative journalism over the past three years.
https://rumble.com/v2oi0ro-this-hour-ha ... awa-d.html

Former CBC employee Jean-Philippe Chabot shared his personal journey of losing his job due to his decision not to disclose his vaccine status.
https://rumble.com/v2or194-jean-philipp ... nada-.html

Soon all we will need is CBC telling us about how good life is in Canada.
Good to know these folk are speaking up. Thanks for sharing it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

more proof the cbc should be defunded, all they are is jt :cuss: itch
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Anyone else notice that the vote station has been hacked?

Probably by some hosiery fetisher
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I'm not sure which is worse, the blatant abuse of the mandate by CBC or the divisiveness spewing from their rabid followers.

Case in point, today there's the usual story on fires in Alberta and what's the comment that receives a number of up votes?
It's karma for Alberta.

Of course nothing but sympathy for Nova Scotia when they were burning up.

I'm not a fan of separation in Canada, hmm, maybe Quebec, but should CBC go, then please take their misguided followers as well.

DEFUND CBC

#StandUpToJewishHate
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jun 4th, 2023, 11:01 am I'm not sure which is worse, the blatant abuse of the mandate by CBC or the divisiveness spewing from their rabid followers.

Case in point, today there's the usual story on fires in Alberta and what's the comment that receives a number of up votes?
It's karma for Alberta.

Of course nothing but sympathy for Nova Scotia when they were burning up.

I'm not a fan of separation in Canada, hmm, maybe Quebec, but should CBC go, then please take their misguided followers as well.

DEFUND CBC
I'm not sure exactly why the Left hates Alberta so much. I mean, I blame it mostly on their mass stupidity, but it's something else too. Because they always (almost always) vote against far Left brain-dead policies? Because they enjoy freedom? Wishing harm on your fellow man, and calling it "karma" because you truly believe that the fires in Alberta were caused by some evil sky genie you stupidly believe exists truly is disgusting.

- Alberta is an awesome place full of great people
- No, man-made climate change didn't cause these fires
- Yes Alberta does produce oil and gas, but that production is not affecting the climate in any way, and if you think that they are "affecting the climate", then you truly are an idiot.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

CBC’s president and CEO, Catherine Tait, gets 18-month contract extension
Toronto Star, June 1, 2023

Dear Bill Rice,

After launching attacks against Pierre and Conservatives, we knew she would be staying on.

The Trudeau Liberals couldn’t be happier with her performance -- using the CBC as the Liberal propaganda arm.

They aren’t even trying to hide it. 

The more biased the CBC becomes under her watch; the more money is shoveled their way.

$16 million in bonuses for the employees last year.

$42 million in extra funding that the $1.2 billion supposedly couldn’t cover, with another $400 million on the way.

Enough.

The CBC takes from Canadians, takes from a free and independent press, and fuels the media’s bias.

It’s time to restore a free, independent, and competitive press to bring Canadians access to a media environment free from government censors.

Let’s restore the promise of our great country by making it the freest on earth.

Let’s bring it home.

DEFUND THE CBC.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 11:18 am CBC’s president and CEO, Catherine Tait, gets 18-month contract extension

Dear Bill Rice,

After launching attacks against Pierre and Conservatives, we knew she would be staying on.

The Trudeau Liberals couldn’t be happier with her performance -- using the CBC as the Liberal propaganda arm.

The more biased the CBC becomes under her watch; the more money is shoveled their way.

$42 million in extra funding that the $1.2 billion supposedly couldn’t cover, with another $400 million on the way.

Enough.

The CBC takes from Canadians, takes from a free and independent press, and fuels the media’s bias.

It’s time to restore a free, independent, and competitive press to bring Canadians access to a media environment free from government censors.

Let’s restore the promise of our great country by making it the freest on earth.

Let’s bring it home.

DEFUND THE CBC.
Stuck on a mountain road yesterday, turned on the radio, my first mistake, and the only station that I could get was, non other, the CBC. Within about 5 minutes it was so blatantly obvious the biased platform they hold. I had to turn it off. They were talking about Smith, AB, and that 5 minute talk had only one intent, to discredit, support a liberal fear campaign of her and her government.

Damn right we need to defund them, until they can prove their intent is not so committed to trudeau's liberalism of today.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

liisgo wrote: Jun 12th, 2023, 10:16 am

Damn right we need to defund them, until they can prove their intent is not so committed to trudeau's liberalism of today.
Yup - the CBC has lost the right to suck down billions of our tax dollars. They don't represent 95% of Canadians and their views.

I got stuck listening to that crap one day and they had some feminists on and most of the time they spent trashing all other women who didn't agree with their uber-commie garbage. It was just disgusting. The CBC just plain sucks.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 11:18 am CBC’s president and CEO, Catherine Tait, gets 18-month contract extension

Dear Bill Rice,

Enough.

Let’s bring it home.

DEFUND THE CBC.
Thanks for posting that, Bill Rice!

Cathy's gonna keep living in her New York mansion, no doubt. What's the carbon footprint of that choice?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Canada”