Defund the CBC

Should we stop the taxpayers' bailout of CBC?

Yes, they need to make it on their own
54%
No, I want more coverage of Trudeau's socks
46%

Total votes: 210

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Defund the CBC

Post by rustled »

Septuagenarian wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 9:03 am
rustled wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 8:43 am
How so? For ads "published on or after June 30, 2019 on a CBC English-language online platform (CBC.ca, the CBC News App or other CBC Apps)", I see:

- 8 from Registered Agent for the Liberal Party of Canada plus 3 from The Beaches-East York Federal Liberals for 11

- 3 from Canadian Doctors for Protection From Guns (not likely supporting the Conservatives - their logo choice suggests Liberal?)

- 28 from the NDP

- 3 from Registered Agent of the Green Party of Canada

- 40 from the Official agent of the Conservative Party of Canada.

I'm quite curious as to how you're reading "shoot itself in the foot" into this. It may be the Liberals paid more, but there's no $ figure included.
Sorry, I got hung up on clicking the links so I could see the ads.

https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/impact-a ... s-registry

But I think the CBC could pick up on a huge opportunity now to woo more of the CPC supporters and their tax money.

They should hire a top shock-jock now that the syndicated Limbaugh has entered the either and I see where Adler might be up for grabs if the price is right (somewhere close to $80 million might do), although, apparently he didn't vote for Harper in 2015. [icon_lol2.gif]

Time to strike!

"Canada never created its own Limbaugh"

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opini ... 66412.html

So sign a 'Limbaugh' and watch the defund the CBC crowd melt like snowflakes on a silver tongue.
Meh. Not everyone enjoys partisan wooing or partisan programming. Those of us who do know where to find it, without subsidizing it the way we do the CBC.

The point of the CBC was once to provide all Canadians with a news source and, later, to represent Canadians.

Today, Canadians have access to news sources and know how to suss out Canadian content if that is what we are looking for. Canadian artists with genuine talent are quite capable of reaching stardom on the level playing field they can access as easily as artists from any other first world country, and the CBC has morphed to promoting agendas.

Agencies and organizations that want to promote an agenda should pay to promote their agendas. The CBC has so obviously operated as a Trudeau Liberal party megaphone throughout the pandemic, they no longer deserve taxpayer funding.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Now CBC is getting off Facebook for at least a month. Seems their reporters can't handle the heat.
Too many snowflakes on their staff? :smt045
Not enough safe rooms available? :200:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/editor-bl ... -1.6064804
There is ample evidence the mental health of many Canadians is fragile and in need of attention after 16 months of pandemic lockdowns, school closures and economic uncertainty.
Journalists are no different.

Really! Who are these fragile kids that CBC employs?

Compounding the stress and anxiety of journalists is the vitriol and harassment many of them face on social media platforms. :panic:

No one will concern themselves about your absence on FB. I won't. I don't do FB.
There are more than enough unbiased news outlets that will fill the gap.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 9:23 amThe point of the CBC was once to provide all Canadians with a news source and, later, to represent Canadians.
They are still a good news source. Like just about all news sources available they do exhibit some bias, but with some practice and a brain you can filter that out. I have found that the best sources for delivering unbiased news are the news agencies themselves, but they come with a hefty subscription fee. For the rest of us the best bet is to cultivate multiple sources and apply some critical thinking.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

^ like
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

fluffy wrote: Jun 16th, 2021, 6:52 am
They are still a good news source. Like just about all news sources available they do exhibit some bias, but with some practice and a brain you can filter that out. I have found that the best sources for delivering unbiased news are the news agencies themselves, but they come with a hefty subscription fee. For the rest of us the best bet is to cultivate multiple sources and apply some critical thinking.
If I have to watch CBC for some reason I always assume that I am being lied to, and go from there. Pretty much the same goes with CNN, the New York Times, and MSNBC. You already know that they've spin-doctored the information to make those they like look good and those they don't look bad. Every single time.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

fluffy wrote: Jun 16th, 2021, 6:52 am They are still a good news source. Like just about all news sources available they do exhibit some bias, but with some practice and a brain you can filter that out. I have found that the best sources for delivering unbiased news are the news agencies themselves, but they come with a hefty subscription fee. For the rest of us the best bet is to cultivate multiple sources and apply some critical thinking.
Yes but it's a numbers game. For every critical thinker there is another people who will take the article at face value.

So to allow opinion pieces to be structured as news it will sway some peoples opinions. It's like when a politician says something enough and it becomes true.

Ignoring the issue and telling people to use their head is only half the solution.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

There was a time when CBC news was the only Canadian news I watched. But not any more.

These days, the CBC National news in particular, is so biased, and so clearly lecturing and admonishing us about politically correct behaviour (or lack thereof), that I simply can’t stomach it anymore.

I’d hate to see the CBC disappear completely, because it does produce some good Canadian shows that we’d likely never get to see anywhere else, but I wish they’d return to reporting news, instead of trying to influence the way we think.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2021, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

O'Toole calls out the cancel crowd for cancelling Canada Day celebrations.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole ... -1.6076752

O'Toole accuses activists of 'tearing down' Canada after towns cancel Canada Day events.
'I can't stay silent when people want to cancel Canada Day,' Conservative leader says.

Good for you Mr. O'Toole. :up:

But does CBC allow comments on this story?

Cancel CBC.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

cbc is paid off by jt's govt
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

bb49 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 1:19 pm O'Toole calls out the cancel crowd for cancelling Canada Day celebrations.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole ... -1.6076752

O'Toole accuses activists of 'tearing down' Canada after towns cancel Canada Day events.
'I can't stay silent when people want to cancel Canada Day,' Conservative leader says.

Good for you Mr. O'Toole. :up:

But does CBC allow comments on this story?

Cancel CBC.
Perfect response to the wolf whistle from O'Toole to the far right base.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

typhoon44 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 1:48 pm
No "wolf whistle" here, especially not to the "Far right", whatever that is. Glad to see this though as you know it will anger the far Left base of the Liberals, and show everyone why the Liberals are just so awful.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 1:53 pm
typhoon44 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 1:48 pm
No "wolf whistle" here, especially not to the "Far right", whatever that is. Glad to see this though as you know it will anger the far Left base of the Liberals, and show everyone why the Liberals are just so awful.
Dog whistle = inflame the far right with undertones of racism. Nice that you also took the bait.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

typhoon44 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 3:37 pm
Dog whistle = inflame the far right with undertones of racism. Nice that you also took the bait.
Except that the only people who read any sorts of "undertones of racism" here were the far Left. Talk about taking the bait all right. This had nothing to do with the "far right", no matter how obsessed one might be with them.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 3:40 pm
typhoon44 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 3:37 pm
Except that the only people who read any sorts of "undertones of racism" here were the far Left. Talk about taking the bait all right. This had nothing to do with the "far right", no matter how obsessed one might be with them.
And yet, here you are cheering.

Return to “Canada”