Good News for Alberta

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Good News for Alberta

Post by Catri »

GordonH wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:08 am
Catri wrote: May 19th, 2022, 12:22 am

What HG said, and I would add that it could easily be argued that BC has a small L liberal government right now, as did Alberta under Notley.
WAC Bennett was Conservative, he knew types of things his opposition would do in BC. So he jumped the gun and did them mainly to keep his own coalition happy (ie keeping liberals happy). He definitely was a politicians, politician.

BC Social Credit party was 1st generation of the current BC liberals.

So getting back to my post earlier, it’s been many decades since western province has elected a liberal government. Central & eastern Canada has recently.
Try to imagine any Conservative leader, after the 1980s shift to greed-is-good capitalism, nationalizing anything. By modern standards, nationalizing industry is a far, far left proposition, yet WAC Bennett did it repeatedly to the benefit of British Columbians. It was a different time and politics was a different animal back then.
liisgo
Übergod

Post by liisgo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 19th, 2022, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Post by hobbyguy »

JagXKR wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:58 pm Very difficult for the NDP to ever gain power again. Unless the right splits like 2015. Wildrose and Conservative votes if added together would have made a landslide over the commies. Just like 2019. :up:
https://officialresults.elections.ab.ca ... EventId=60
https://officialresults.elections.ab.ca ... EventId=31
That is precisely the logic behind the UCP. And yes, it works.

However, more difficult to read is the reaction to the governance provided. IF the UCP shifts further right, that leaves a lot of political space that perhaps the Alberta NDP can fill - assuming the NDP are willing to shift a bit more to the center - not sure they can or will.

Lots of dynamics at play.

That doesn't alter the fact that the UCP experiment is floundering at the moment. As I said before, it may be an impossible task to combine the Wildrose and Progressive Conservative camps.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

JagXKR wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:58 pm Very difficult for the NDP to ever gain power again. Unless the right splits like 2015. Wildrose and Conservative votes if added together would have made a landslide over the commies.
The NDP were elected in 54 ridings out of a possible 87, gaining fifty seats since the previous election. Jim Prentice's PCs went from 70 seats to 6, while the other conservative option, The Wildrose Party, only gained 16 seats. There was a major exodus of Prentice Conservative support, and most of it went to the NDP.

That makes me question the depth of support for Brian Jean, as so many who left Prentice, by-passed Jean in favor of Rachel Notely.

In terms of the popular vote, yes, between the WRP and PC they garnered more votes that the NDP by just over 11%, but there again the same thing that happened federally happened in Alberta. The NDP carried the seat-rich urban areas.
For anyone who can't afford to spay/neuter feral conservatives, there will be a free clinic on the first of every month.
/smartaz
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

hobbyguy wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:51 pmThat doesn't alter the fact that the UCP experiment is floundering at the moment. As I said before, it may be an impossible task to combine the Wildrose and Progressive Conservative camps.
My feelings on that are that Kenney was never committed to the merger as far as party policy, he only saw more votes for himself. He really is a crook, and it was getting increasingly hard for him to hide that.
For anyone who can't afford to spay/neuter feral conservatives, there will be a free clinic on the first of every month.
/smartaz
captkirkcanada
Übergod

Post by captkirkcanada »

I dont have a link but i saw alberta is building more renewable power
i like the nite life baby, she says
Hug your neighbour and smile
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

hobbyguy wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:51 pm That is precisely the logic behind the UCP. And yes, it works.

However, more difficult to read is the reaction to the governance provided. IF the UCP shifts further right, that leaves a lot of political space that perhaps the Alberta NDP can fill - assuming the NDP are willing to shift a bit more to the center - not sure they can or will.

Lots of dynamics at play.

That doesn't alter the fact that the UCP experiment is floundering at the moment. As I said before, it may be an impossible task to combine the Wildrose and Progressive Conservative camps.
Why would the Commies get the vote? The Alberta Party, though no seats in 2019, still increased their popularity. Would not any defectors from the UCP go there? Not sure about their politics but the website and the wiki page seem to put them more right than left.
https://www.albertaparty.ca/guiding-principles
The first Principle is Prosperity
We believe that private enterprise and entrepreneurship are the keys to our economic success. The government should foster an environment which facilitates economic investment, reduces red tape and encourages creativity.
Sounds to me like the antithesis of NDP doctrine.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

Interesting thoughts on the Alberta Party, although it looks to me like their mix of fiscal responsibility and social programs would put them pretty close to center. The question will be how much traction they can gain with Albertans in the coming year, how will they raise themselves out of the "also ran" category.

A lot of Albertan conservatives have drank the divisiveness Koolaid, and are looking for someone who can duke it out with Notely and the NDP. Brian Jean won his seat in Ft. Mac/Lac La Biche with no real policy position other than his intent to unseat Jason Kenney, and now he will seek party leadership at some as-yet-unstated position on the political spectrum. I'm anxious to see where he will stand, with the provincial election a year away at the most, things will move pretty fast from here on in.
/smartaz
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JagXKR wrote: May 19th, 2022, 7:46 pm
We believe that private enterprise and entrepreneurship are the keys to our economic success. The government should foster an environment which facilitates economic investment, reduces red tape and encourages creativity.
Yes, the NDP want everyone wallowing in despair and poverty in Alberta, that much is abundantly clear.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 24th, 2022, 12:29 pm
JagXKR wrote: May 19th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Yes, the NDP want everyone wallowing in despair and poverty in Alberta, that much is abundantly clear.
They couldn't be any worse than Kenny and the UCP. What a circus they are.
Last edited by foenix on May 25th, 2022, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

foenix wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:28 pm

They couldn't any worse than Kenny and the UCP.
Uhh...of course they could be worse. Far far worse. The NDP are a disease.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
Pappywinkle
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Pappywinkle »

foenix wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:28 pm They couldn't any worse than Kenny and the UCP. What a circus they are.
Yup, the UCP truly are just the absolute worst!
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:01 am
foenix wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:28 pm

They couldn't be any worse than Kenny and the UCP.
Uhh...of course they could be worse. Far far worse. The NDP are a disease.
It's looking more like the UCP are the blight and the NDP are the saviours in Alberta. At least Alberta did way better with NDP and Notley than with the UCP with Kenny. The way he's grounded Alberta, I highly doubt he will be endorse at the federal level.......but knowing the clownish CCP, I wouldn't be surprised if they elected him leader after the yet to be named leader of the CCP gets punted out in a years time.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:25 am

It's looking more like the UCP are the blight
Nope. The NDP are the blight. They just plain suck.

Pappywinkle
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Pappywinkle »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:25 am It's looking more like the UCP are the blight and the NDP are the saviours in Alberta. At least Alberta did way better with NDP and Notley than with the UCP with Kenny. The way he's grounded Alberta, I highly doubt he will be endorse at the federal level.......but knowing the clownish CCP, I wouldn't be surprised if they elected him leader after the yet to be named leader of the CCP gets punted out in a years time.
Yup. The UCP are the blight. The UCP just plain sucks!!

Return to “Canada”