What happened to the best person for the job?

featfan
Guru

What happened to the best person for the job?

Post by featfan »

I guess I should have said peoplekind.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7494223/nasd ... companies/

Nasdaq wants to require listed companies to have at least 2 diverse directors.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: What happened to the best person for the job?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

what happened? Political correctness happened.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm with you guys.

Laws and rules like this fuel more racism than they remove.

Laws/rules are to protect people from the impact of racism only. If you want to eliminate racism you need to look elsewhere - like education, social programs, and other incentives. It's such a simple concept yet amazes me how few people actually understand this.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Proven to be false. The racist/misogynist/... status quo will always want to keep it the way it is.
If you're a white man you can complain but it only strengthens the argument.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

typhoon44 wrote:Proven to be false. The racist/misogynist/... status quo will always want to keep it the way it is.
Strengthens what argument exactly?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
typhoon44 wrote:Proven to be false. The racist/misogynist/... status quo will always want to keep it the way it is.
Strengthens what argument exactly?
To have more diversity in the boardroom. Did you even read the OP's link or are you purposely being obtuse?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

typhoon44 wrote: To have more diversity in the boardroom.
But that's not the argument. The argument is should it be up to NASDAQ and other agencies to enforce diversity. That's the argument. You are just jumping on the PC bandwagon
Did you even read the OP's link or are you purposely being obtuse?
Right back at ya PC person.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

From the article ... It would require most Nasdaq-listed companies to have, or explain why they don’t have, at least two diverse directors. This includes having one board member who self-identifies as female and one who self-identifies as either an underrepresented minority or LGBTQ.

Pray tell how someone identifying with either of these 2 classifications makes them more suitable for the position than someone with the same qualifications but a bit more experience? I don't care if you're pink, purple, blue, or green with gold dots, the position should go to the person best suited for the job. End. Of. Story.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 1st, 2020, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

typhoon44 wrote: To have more diversity in the boardroom. Did you even read the OP's link or are you purposely being obtuse?
Where your head at on this one? Seriously, the question was: "Strengthen what argument" your answer "To have more diversity in the boardroom."

Uhh, How is that an answer? To take your lead - Did you even read the question? It's like your answering a different question entirely.

So I'll ask it again: Strengthens what argument?
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

TylerM4 wrote:
typhoon44 wrote: To have more diversity in the boardroom. Did you even read the OP's link or are you purposely being obtuse?
Where your head at on this one? Seriously, the question was: "Strengthen what argument" your answer "To have more diversity in the boardroom."

Uhh, How is that an answer? To take your lead - Did you even read the question? It's like your answering a different question entirely.

So I'll ask it again: Strengthens what argument?
The argument is that diversity is good. Seems obvious.
Diversity of thought / perspective
Shareholder/stakeholder representation and enhanced reputation
Access to a broader pool of talent
Competitive advantage
https://www.simplifie.com/boards-blog/t ... ir%20needs.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

What is Nasdaq going to do or say if/when companies decide it's in their best interest to voluntarily delist?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

typhoon44 wrote:
The argument is that diversity is good. Seems obvious.
Nope. That's what you WANT the argument to be, so that you can automatically assign yourself the moral high ground. But that isn't the argument. Should NASDAQ be enforcing "diversity", or should companies make these decisions autonomously without the bureaucratic oversight? If "diversity" is so good as you state, then there should be no need for the bureaucracy right?
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

From the article;

Nasdaq’s plan ups the stakes in what was already a widening push by shareholders and governments around the world for more diversity on corporate boards, which often are composed of mostly white men.

In its proposal, Nasdaq cited a report from the Carlyle Group investment company, which found that companies it invested in that have at least two diverse board members have nearly 12% more earnings growth per year than the average of companies that lack diversity.

Shareholders are increasingly pushing companies to improve their board diversity, both in public and in private. Big investors are trying to cajole executives through private channels. For example, Nuveen, which invests $1.1 trillion globally, has been pushing a group of smaller and mid-sized companies without a woman on their board to add one. It’s seen more than 30% of them add a woman, as of 2019.

In public, investors are getting more chances to vote at companies’ annual meetings on shareholder resolutions seeking more disclosures on the makeup of the board.

Shareholders being the owners.
Public being the customers.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Businesses don’t care about the right person for a job, instead it is about perceived public image.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

oneh2obabe wrote:What is Nasdaq going to do or say if/when companies decide it's in their best interest to voluntarily delist?
Nasdaq is simply a company that provides a service. I am certain that they have thought this through as part of their business model.
If it happens as you suggest, then that decision was wrong and companies make wrong decisions every day. However, I do not believe this one will prove to be wrong.
Can you imagine the blowback on a public company because they refuse to have a more diverse board? I can.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Canada”