Rents fall for many

common_sense_guy
Übergod

Rents fall for many

Post by common_sense_guy »

Here is a perfect example of a Castanet cut and paste story with no basis behind it. This is what I would call fake news. Story twisted to make the outcome something it really is not in real life. The Canadian press said it so it must be true right. LOL
This actually really does anger me a lot when they put headlines like this. I would love to see them show even a half a percent of people's rent who's went down. Instead to make the story fit the headline they want they find a way where it could possibly be considered accurate. So they go by what the average rent is on one website. Are you kidding me this is what they called journalism now. Far from honest or accurate. The Canadian press is a joke and Castanet should stop using it to cut and paste their stories without scrutiny.
I would hope anybody with a half a brain can see through a BS story like this

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... -negotiate
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Rents fall for many

Post by TylerM4 »

I dunno. Feels to me like you may be over-reacting.

The article clearly shows how they came up with those figures, and says "rents fall for many" not all.

It takes a huge change in the market before you'd see rental prices on established rental contracts drop. Connecting with renters who haven't established a new contract would be silly - it would almost certainly show "no change". In any situation, even when it comes to increased pricing outside of the 2% max annual increase. Frankly, contacting existing renters for information vs looking at advertised rental prices will lead to less accurate data not more.

An analogy: When looking at new car price changes...do you look at what dealerships are currently charging and compare to past charges? Or do you approach people who've already signed a leasing agreement and ask them about changes to their lease payments?

Polling only a single website may not give the most accurate data. But comparing prices for new rental agreements is definitely the better way to evaluate changes in the market - especially when looking at more recent or shorter term fluctuations.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Rents fall for many

Post by common_sense_guy »

They came up with the numbers by scanning what's available for rent. How is that anywhere near accurate with anybody's "rent going down". Nobody's rent Has Fallen. . A more accurate headline would have been average rents for available units are down from last month for example. I do not believe for a second anybody's actual rent for where they are renting where they currently are has ever gone down. Averaging what the rents are for any given month do not show any sort of trend.
To prove my point I'll make you a deal. I'll give you $1 for anybody who's actual rent where they are currently our has went down. But you give me $0.10 for everybody you ask and their rent has not gone down and we'll see who ahead at the end of it all.
The story of The reported decided to write about has no relevance for anything except for misinformation and to make people think things are getting better than they really are
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “Canada”